shape
carat
color
clarity

How much have you overpaid for something you couldn't take your eyes off of?

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
Have you ever seen a stone that you love so much you were willing to pay the (slightly high) price instead of a "substitute" that is almost as good for a little less? Wondering because I have to make this decision.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
D8D327C8-8798-44BC-8295-A692A4B2A2C4.jpeg I firmly believe in buying the “gem, ring, jewellery piece” that makes your heart sing because if there’s just the slightest bit of regret for choosing the “cheaper/ not as good/ not loved as much” option, that regret just grows and grows.
Example - 15 years ago in my early “eBay days” I saw a vintage watch I absolutely adored but I didn’t think it was worth the money so didn’t buy it. Over the enduring years I have bought similar watches but none were quite right. I have over the 15 years since bought 5 similar watches which I’ve subsquently on sold because they weren’t “the one”.
Last month, on eBay I found “my watch” again. Whether it is the exact same watch or just the same model I didn’t know. It was an eBay auction.
My max bid I entered was literally 3 x the price of this watch sold for the first time I saw it because I was NOT missing out now this “miracle” had been delivered to inbox as a result of my “search” notification. Yes, for 15 years I’ve had an eBay search “Longines White Gold diamond watch”.
I was successful and as an ironic twist and possibly as a heavenly invention for my perservance and dedication to the search mission, I paid less than the price the original/ same model watch went for all those years ago.
Buy what you truly love and adore when you see it lest you too spend an eternity searching for its doppelgänger later on!
And as an aside, there is still an item I am waiting to find again because TWICE I saw it and TWICE I didn’t act - much to my regret.
It was a Royal Doulton Coffee set service with an Art Deco tree and sunset design that I didn’t snap up twice and some 40 years since first falling in love with it, yes 40 years, I’m still looking for it.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny you should ask... a little over a year ago I paid 1800 for a spinel from GemFix. I loved it, but then I started doubting it because of the price. I returned it. I bought and returned a few others - good ones, better pricing, wow but not WOW. I thought I found one for 450 that I would love just as much even though it was a different color and small (but had great saturation). However I kept secretly visiting the original. Set the one I bought, and... meh. It's nice. It's not the original though.

A couple of weeks ago my DH ever so kindly indulged me and said go ahead and get the original... again. YAY!! This time I don't care if it's overpriced. I love it. Nothing else came close. And of course between shipping costs and buying and setting the close-but-not-quite spinel, it's now cost me even more.

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
Good luck on your second search, Bron! And Very nice watch. Very lucky rainy daze!
the stone i have my eyes on is from NSC. It has an off center cut but no window. Michael cleverly opened a box of sapphires and it just caught my eye and I couldn't stop thinking about it. I found one with a similar color and better cut, cheaper price too, and I'm sure I'll like it, but I just can't take my mind off the NSC sapphire. It's definitely say overpriced but I just can't let it go!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you ever seen a stone that you love so much you were willing to pay the (slightly high) price instead of a "substitute" that is almost as good for a little less? Wondering because I have to make this decision.

Buy the one you REALLY want. Otherwise you will either regret it forever or you will end up buying it anyway (and spending twice as much because now you've bought two). The pain of the extra money will fade. The pain of owning something you don't really love (and regretting the loss of the one that you did) will not.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know that I overpaid but I blew a ridiculous amount of money (for me) on a DBL yellow diamond ring.

I had to have it and nothing else could live up to it for me. I don't regret it though because even years later there hasn't been anything like it.

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
Buy the one you REALLY want. Otherwise you will either regret it forever or you will end up buying it anyway (and spending twice as much because now you've bought two). The pain of the extra money will fade. The pain of owning something you don't really love (and regretting the loss of the one that you did) will not.

I forgot that I was told this repeatedly when I first joined. My wishlist has grown since!

Mellowyellowgirl, is it the one on your profile? It is truly gorgeous!

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
I contacted Michael and he gave it to me for a lesser price! I don't know if he's ok with me sharing how much and I know this forum's not NSC friendly but I've had very good experience with them so far!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I contacted Michael and he gave it to me for a lesser price! I don't know if he's ok with me sharing how much and I know this forum's not NSC friendly but I've had very good experience with them so far!

Congrats! I hope the gem lives up to your expectations. How exciting. :)

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Considering how much premium I/we regularly pay for brands, I have no inhibition to pay for what my heart wants even if gems don't have brand premiums.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was new to this hobby, I overpaid for many gems that I adored, and I thought they were worth the inflated price, but time and education have made me a “bargain” shopper. That’s not to say that some that who know a great deal about gems never overpay for a piece, or that some people should regret their decisions. I will just say that if you see something you love, I would research that gem and it’s possible treatments thoroughly.

In my experience, this hobby can cost a fortune based on impulse purchases, so unless you have a ton of disposable income, I would encourage patience. Now, on the other hand, if you’ve done all your homework, research, and you’ve looked everywhere for a particular gem, but the only one you love is by dealer X and it costs $$$$$$$, and you can afford it, then at least you probably won’t regret it later on.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve learned from life and this forum to buy what I love even if it isn’t the best deal. I’ve wanted so much money on stuff that was “like that thing but not exactly” and haven’t been satisfied. I’ll pay more for what I love.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! Not the one in my profile (which was quite cost effective), it's this one:

20180223_120733.jpg

Congrats on your new stone! Can't wait to see your pics!

Wowow, gorgeous!

To comment on the original question, definitely buy what you like and can afford. Gems and jewelry are art to me—a lot of value is pretty subjective, and sometimes up to trend and market price anyways, so since I’m just buying for me and my personal collection, I just go from what I like and pay a mark up as long as I can afford it.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Overpaying a bit may be fine if you’re well informed.

Mine is a $150 blue topaz/white sapphire/diamond accented ring from zales. The diamonds were like I3 and the topaz was included with a terrible window. This is before I even heard about pricescope. :lol-2: This year, I got a much bigger and better native cut topaz for a grand total of 20 bucks.

Last edited:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Wowow, gorgeous!

To comment on the original question, definitely buy what you like and can afford. Gems and jewelry are art to me—a lot of value is pretty subjective, and sometimes up to trend and market price anyways, so since I’m just buying for me and my personal collection, I just go from what I like and pay a mark up as long as I can afford it.
ETA: as long as I think it’s worth it.

Rare gem lover

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I have always been really budget conscious and have managed a balance of good deals and blow outs. The deals help actually. Because I have not over spent on many awesome finds due to a lot of searching, once in a while, I have just paid a high asking price for gems I would not bear to live without. One a neon blue tourmaline from a vendor and one a super neon Mahenge spinel originally from PSer Katharath. That being said I do have some regrets when I didn’t buy immediately even though I saw it on time on LT. This is the awesome seafoam mint tourmaline that someone here was smart enough to pick up, I think it was @2Neezers :kiss2:
She has made it into such an amazing ring. I have learnt from that lesson ! Nothing but amazing wishes to you on that one : )

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes. For me a deal is only a deal if I am getting exactly what I want. Sometimes compromises won't work and quench that desire and you end up spending more than if you would have just bought the more expensive original item you fell in love with initially.

And never forget that quote from "Heathers"

“I shop, therefore I am.”

and

60quotes_money_655x371_v2.jpg

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
27DE2461-BCC7-4141-8FE0-446B97F95F27.png
D8D327C8-8798-44BC-8295-A692A4B2A2C4.jpeg
I was successful and as an ironic twist
And as an aside, there is still an item I am waiting to find again because TWICE I saw it and TWICE I didn’t act - much to my regret.
It was a Royal Doulton Coffee set service with an Art Deco tree and sunset design that I didn’t snap up twice and some 40 years since first falling in love with it, yes 40 years, I’m still looking for it.

Is it Poplars at Sunset? I’ve seen pieces sold separately on eBay and Etsy. This one is in Australia.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results