shape
carat
color
clarity

How much for this Diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BigKID

Rough_Rock
My (soon to be) fiancee''s uncle is the regional manager for a large national chain and has had his people looking for a 3/4 Princess cut diamond for a few weeks now. I got a call yesterday to come look at two stones they had found and had shipped in. Due to my situation, I had not priced many but did know the 4C''s. I picked one on my limited knowledge and that it was visually leaps and bounds over the other. I also though I was getting a good price till I started doing some research tonight. (btw, pricescope has a lot of good info) I know the color and clarity are good but it''s the depth/table that have me a little confused. I have a copy of the GIA dossier for the diamond and the specs are:

Shape and Cutting style .....Rectangular Modified Brilliant
Measurements.....5.04x4.55x3.73mm
Weight.....0.72carat
Proportions
Depth.....82.0%
Table.....79%
Girdle....thick to very thick
Cutlet.....none
Finish
Polish.....Very Good
Symmetry.....Very Good
Clarity Grade.....SI1
Characteristics.....Feather, Cloud
Color Grade.....E
Fluorescence.....None
Comments.....None

I would appreciate a ballpark estimate as well as any other insight on this stone.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1900-2200 for something comparable to yours, identified by the vendors to be "fair" to "good" cut

your depth and table fall out of ideal ranges.

at l/w ratio of 1.1, your stone is a rectangle, not a square.

BigKID

Rough_Rock
Thanks, that is what I was thinking as well. From the chart at http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fnc1.asp I assume I should be looking for something with depth/table both in the lower 70's and a l:w ratio of 0.95-1.05 for a square?
How about girdle thickness? Is this looked at as more of a raito of the thinnest part of the girdle to the thickest? Am I correct in thiking a thick girdle is better for a more secure mount?

redrob

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/3/2006 8:40:31 AM
Author: BigKID
Thanks, that is what I was thinking as well. From the chart at http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fnc1.asp I assume I should be looking for something with depth/table both in the lower 70''s and a l:w ratio of 0.95-1.05 for a square?
How about girdle thickness? Is this looked at as more of a raito of the thinnest part of the girdle to the thickest? Am I correct in thiking a thick girdle is better for a more secure mount?
A girdle is ideally not thick. The girdle is the widest part on a diamond (just like on older guys, such as myself). A lot of weight can be carried around that mid section but it does nothing for the overall appearance of the stone. It adds weight but the stone does not look any bigger for that weight.

Generally thin - medium - slightly thick are the best. To thin and the stone can be damaged, to thick and you are just paying for weight you can''t see.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results