shape
carat
color
clarity

How much fluorescence to see blue in sunlight?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rockies

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. How much fluorescence does it take to get a diamond to look bluish in direct sunlight? I have a diamond that has been graded with "faint" fluorescence, but to me I can see cornflower blue to periwinkle in sunlight, depending on how I angle it. My diamond also goes dark in direct sunlight, but sparkles blindingly white and rainbow colors like crazy. I am trying to figure out how much of the darkness is due to fluorescence and how much is due to other factors. I am wondering whether I am really seeing fluorescence, or if I am mistaking the darkening for blue color, or even just seeing the reflection of the sky.

Thanks!
21.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome
35.gif

I too have a diamond graded with faint flourescence, and the colour you see depending how you angle it is what I see too! This seems to be the flourescence, sometimes faint is hardly discernible depending on the lab grading I should imagine and also what you expect to see. Sometimes too it can be a reflection of the sky, but the glowy blue I think is flourescence in action.

The darkness is due to the direct sunlight and also sometimes said to be by a phenomenon called head obstruction, where your head blocks out some of the light. Many diamonds exhibit this feature of darkness in direct sunlight, this is normal. Diamonds perform differently according to the light available, part of what makes them interesting IMO.

It sounds like you have a lovely diamond which performs with a nice mix of fire, brilliance, scintillation and dispersion as it should.

Pics would be nice
31.gif

This thread and the link in my post might be helpful too.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/should-diamonds-look-different-in-different-light.49832/

Rockies

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your posts Lorelei. I really appreciate it. One more quick question (yes, I am really green when it comes to diamonds, and thanks for your patience!). When your diamond darkens, does the whole thing darken? My whole diamond darkens...not just portions of it...it''s dark from edge to edge. I read in some posts that some diamonds will have dark spots. My stone goes generally dark, and the light sparks off the top of it and the internal facets....kind of like a laser show in a dark room. This is normal.

Thanks from a total newbie!
1.gif
37.gif

Rockies

Rough_Rock
I meant to ask at the end of my post: "This is normal?"................................

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, the darkness in sunlight and what you are seeing is normal! Also, faint flor isn''t very noticeable, so your diamond might be picking up the color of the sky as well!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually with my faint flourescence it is quite noticeable and it sounds as if Rockies'' is seeing something similar. Generally faint is said to not be noticeable, but like colour I guess it depends on the eye.

Yes the darkness in sunlight is completely normal, dark spots are sometimes due to cut undesirables such as fisheyes, '' ring of death" etc.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interesting, I always thought faint was only slightly noticeable. I was mostly thinking of someone who posted a diamond with no flor that looked very blue in sunlight. I''ll try to dig it up.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess it depends Koursie, I love the flouro in mine which is faint and I can see it easily - a sort of violety/ lavendar glow which is so pretty. Maybe graders opinions can be looser with flourescence and the individual eyes of the wearer's differ. I have heard of some who cannot see it at all, but in my diamond it is a nice feature. Maybe it is a high faint? Whatever it is, it is purty!

Just seen the pic, mine looks more lavendar glowish than that, the colours there look more like the sky to me...

Flourescence looks more 'plugged in' to me in person, it is hard to describe. Almost like there is a coloured light coming from within the diamond.

Rockies

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your input Lorelei and Koursie.
26.gif
I feel better about my rock looking dark in sunlight. It keeps me guessing as to how it''s going to look and has provided me with hours of entertainment. (Yes, I must really get a life, but I am absolutely mesmerized by my stone.)

I just viewed the photo you posted, Koursie. Wow! That is really blue! Mine is not as blue....it''s a more delicate washed out pale cornflower-purple that at times takes on a slight lavender look. I love the blue! I will post pics of mine soon!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooooh, sounds really pretty. Can''t wait to see the pics.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, drooooling as your description is just how mine is! Look forward to the piccies
30.gif
3.gif

BTW KC, I am dying to know the meaning of your user name, could you fill me in please?
9.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
My diamond is a faint flouro too and mine shines violet in sunlight. I never expected that from a "faint" but I really do love it. It is in fact very noticiable.

Rockies

Rough_Rock
sounds pretty!

kristy_lyn

Shiny_Rock
Mine is listed as "negligible" flourescense...
And, the first thing my finace and I noticed was the blue-ness in the sunlight.

I took it to the appraiser, and was *sure* it was the flourescense.

Nope. He said it is just the reflection of the sky. :) I said, "are you sure?" He said "Yes."....

So, for what its worth, yours may just be the sky reflecting as well!

Rockies

Rough_Rock
heh heh...now I feel a little foolish. It may very well be just the sky that I''m seeing. Today, where I am, it''s overcast with the sun breaking through here and there, so there''s not much blue sky overhead when the sun peeks through. In direct sunlight today, I see no blue whatsoever in my stone.....I kind of miss it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results