shape
carat
color
clarity

How much does your ring size shrink in winter?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

denverboy

Shiny_Rock
I live in denver and this summer my gf has had her ring size measured 2 or 3 times and its been 4.5

For those of you who live in places that get pretty cold (like denver) - How much does your ring size shrink in winter?

I would like to get the ring before winter, so we won't have an opportunity to measure the ring size in winter. =/

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
While I appreciate wanting to get the ring the perfect size, there really is no such thing. It can''t be all things in all seasons. If she is measuring 4.5, that''s what I would get. I wear a 5.5. In the summer, if I''m out in the heat, it can be just a hair snug, but not uncomfortable. If I''m indoors, it''s just right. In the winter, if I''m really cold, it can be loose enough to "clink" against my WB if I move my hands just right, but it can''t fall off.

It''s just the nature of the beast.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I am a 7. In summer, my rings will actually indent my finger significantly, to the point where I have to take them off because they hurt. In the winter, they willl spin around on my finger because the skin tightens so much. If she is a 4.5 now, then get her a 4.5. It''s easier to put sizing balls/sizing bands in, than to have it completely resized.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 10:25:36 AM
Author: MonkeyPie
I am a 7. In summer, my rings will actually indent my finger significantly, to the point where I have to take them off because they hurt. In the winter, they willl spin around on my finger because the skin tightens so much. If she is a 4.5 now, then get her a 4.5. It''s easier to put sizing balls/sizing bands in, than to have it completely resized.
I''m the exact same way. Size 6 in Spring/Fall, So tight they hurt in the summer, and so loose they fling off in winter. I use a little plastic ring snuggly from Claires in the winter to keep my wedding ring from flying off.

Go for the 4.5.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 9:37:06 AM
Author: Ellen
While I appreciate wanting to get the ring the perfect size, there really is no such thing. It can''t be all things in all seasons. If she is measuring 4.5, that''s what I would get. I wear a 5.5. In the summer, if I''m out in the heat, it can be just a hair snug, but not uncomfortable. If I''m indoors, it''s just right. In the winter, if I''m really cold, it can be loose enough to ''clink'' against my WB if I move my hands just right, but it can''t fall off.

It''s just the nature of the beast.

I agree with Ellen. If anything it''s best to get measured in the summer that way you know what your finger likely is at the biggest...

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I''m a 6.25 in the summer, 5.75 in the winter. I actually just purchased a simple super thin platinum band in the smaller size to stack in front of my e-ring to hold it on when my rings get loose (or increase to a stack of 2-3 rings) and when it''s tight I wear the e-ring alone. I have no width to my knuckles, so when the rings get loose they can fall right off. Since my ring size can even fluctuate throughout the day, I keep this little band with me in my purse.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I too would stick with her summer size. In the winter my rings spin a bit, in the summer they can be hard to remove. I size at a 6 but am probably a 6.25 in the summer. It''s not a huge difference, but too-tight rings can be really frustrating in warmer weather. Only once have I had a ring come off inside a glove, and it was a size 6.25 that I was wearing on my size 6 finger in January, and the gloves were on the small size.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
I would also get 4.5 because chances are her finger was measured in an air conditioned jewelry store and not out in sweltering heat. So it''s a good indicator of something in the middle. There is nothing worse (for me) than wearing a ring that is pinching my finger. It''s uncomfortable as all get out. I''d rather have it a little loose than pinching it like a sausage casing.
28.gif

denverboy

Shiny_Rock
thank you so much for the feedback everyone! I''ll stick w/ the 4.5 =)

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 10:48:51 AM
Author: ericad
I''m a 6.25 in the summer, 5.75 in the winter. I actually just purchased a simple super thin platinum band in the smaller size to stack in front of my e-ring to hold it on when my rings get loose (or increase to a stack of 2-3 rings) and when it''s tight I wear the e-ring alone. I have no width to my knuckles, so when the rings get loose they can fall right off. Since my ring size can even fluctuate throughout the day, I keep this little band with me in my purse.
I have the same lack of knuckles, LOL! The curse of the straight fingers!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Oh! And the size of the band width matters. Err on the side of smaller if the band is super thin and err on the side of larger if the band is very wide. But as long as it's a typical mm band, 4.5 should be great. If you're going to either extreme and say you have a super thin band with a big rock on top, that will spin spin spin. If you have a big bezel band that is thick it might be too tight!
19.gif

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When its warm i''m about an 8 1/4 and when my hands are cold they are a 7 1/2. It doesn''t have much to do with winter/summer for me, its just body temperature.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I would stick with the 4 1/2 and let it be a little loose in the winter. Much better than being too tight.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go with the summer size. Right after I get out of the shower in the winter my rings are tight then they get loose as the day goes by.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 10:42:25 AM
Author: geckodani

I''m the exact same way. Size 6 in Spring/Fall, So tight they hurt in the summer, and so loose they fling off in winter. I use a little plastic ring snuggly from Claires in the winter to keep my wedding ring from flying off.

Go for the 4.5.

DITTO

I''m just like you Dani: my ring is a 6. It''s too tight. But in the winter, it will be too loose. I can''t win!

LS

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 12:07:18 PM
Author: chel180
It doesn''t have much to do with winter/summer for me, its just body temperature.

Ditto that. My rings are never so tight to cause pain or indentation in my fingers, because my knuckle is large and they''re sized to be large enough to get over the knuckle. But they fit perfectly when I''m warm (whether it''s summer''s natural heat or winter''s indoor heating), and slide around on my finger but never fall off when it''s cold.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results