shape
carat
color
clarity

How much does your local jeweler charge to set your stones?

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am just wondering what everyone considers a reasonable setting fee is. In the past, I have always mailed my stones to have them set by the jeweler making the ring. Sadly I have only had mixed results with that - prongs have messed up seats, prongs lifting up, only 2 out of 4 prongs contacting the stone, receiving an unfinished ring, etc. and it's not like I used inexpensive Ebay shops. I am not super picky....and I am not even counting chipped girdles, stones set in crooked positions, prongs not lining up diametrically, a BEZEL with a gap between girdle and the bezel, etc - those are more "minor" issues. All the above workmanship issues I have encountered were with PS endorsed vendors sadly. Anyways I am increasingly horrified at having to mail out the stone and am thinking about changing how I go about setting my stones. I am going to buy semi mounts online, either stock or custom, then have a local jeweler set the stones. What's the average cost in your area for that?

Last edited:

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
I am not sure this is what you are looking for - but I am currently waiting for a garnet stone to replace a beryl in my ring.
I asked me jeweler how much it would cost to simply replace the stone - take out beryl and set in garnet - assuming no modification of the basket will be needed.

He said about 200$.

I am not sure if it is reasonable or rip off. It is what I was told.

I stick with him because he is the only jeweler in my area whose work seems refined.
Most others lean a bit towards clunky/clumsy/ or blah kind of jewelry.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@sapphiredream
Thanks! And yes I remember the garnet you chose for the ring, hope it all works out. I have never separately paid for the setting fee alone, so I haven't got a clue. I came across someone that charges like $50 in my area but ummmm let me just say it seemed like I would end up paying $50 to have my stone shattered or something honestly. I just don't see a lot of CS where I live....it's all diamonds or moissanite.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just for reference I live in the Northeast and went to a family owned jewelry store downtown recently and they told me the cost to set a stone is $50.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No more than $20 unless there is additional work needed but I have a regular bench who gets quite a bit of business from me. If I just walked into a retail jeweler, I would expect to pay double.

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It depends on a carat size in my area, Houston ,for diamonds it’s usually 1$per 1 carat ,so if the stone around 1 carat ,it’s 100$. I don’t know the prices for colored stones

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
$50 is typical, but my jeweler charges me $25 for an easy job.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
$25 to $60. Depends on what needs to be done. my bench is a perfectionist!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am just wondering what everyone considers a reasonable setting fee is. In the past, I have always mailed my stones to have them set by the jeweler making the ring. Sadly I have only had mixed results with that - prongs have messed up seats, prongs lifting up, only 2 out of 4 prongs contacting the stone, receiving an unfinished ring, etc. and it's not like I used inexpensive Ebay shops. I am not super picky....and I am not even counting chipped girdles, stones set in crooked positions, prongs not lining up diametrically, a BEZEL with a gap between girdle and the bezel, etc - those are more "minor" issues. All the above workmanship issues I have encountered were with PS endorsed vendors sadly. Anyways I am increasingly horrified at having to mail out the stone and am thinking about changing how I go about setting my stones. I am going to buy semi mounts online, either stock or custom, then have a local jeweler set the stones. What's the average cost in your area for that?

Omg! How does the stone not fall out????

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You guys are all lucky to have jewelers you trust nearby.

@mellowyellowgirl
Yes it's crazy and it's atrocious. Two of the prongs were normal looking, one prong was not contacting anything above the level of the prong seat (i.e the table of the stone in that area was not held by a prong) the other one had messed up seat and the girdle in that area was not sitting on the seat. I hated that ring anyways and reset it later. It seems to me though the dangerous looking setting jobs can last for years amazingly. Another thing I noted is the overall ring/necklace/earrings can seem like normal quality apart from the atrocious setting jobs. It's as if there was one person making the jewelry and then someone stupid takes over and sets the stones. That ring looked like a saleslady set the stone.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The biggest cost in setting stones, from a bench perspective, is in trying to estimate the risk of damaging the stone. Hard, durable stones, (diamond, sapphire, spinel, etc) are generally bullet proof and can be easily set in 15 minutes. Soft and or brittle stones like opal or apatite can be much more problematic and the greatest amount of time is taken up in wiping the sweat out of one's eyes and taking antacids. I can't speak about price, because they are all over the place, but if you're setting hard stones into new mountings, then I wouldn't expect the setting costs to be exorbitant.
The downside in supplying all of the parts yourself is that the bench then has no way to make sure they match up well. Having a conversation with your preferred bench, BEFORE you buy all of the parts, can go a long way towards making this plan work out well for everyone.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow @Cockatiel! That's shocking!

Did you end up wearing that ring at all?

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow @Cockatiel! That's shocking!

Did you end up wearing that ring at all?
I sent it back and the prongs were "pushed inwards" but the gaps were not gone compeletely after that because I think the seats were cut wrong :knockout: I wore the ring for a few years and the stone never rattled or anything.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear of your setting woes. I have always ordered the setting through the jeweler setting the stone. They measure my loose stone and then decide if the depth will work in my desired setting. Then they order the setting and set the stone. So I pay them for the setting and the setting of the stone. So far so good.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I swear there are as many setting tales/trauma as there are jewelers! I've found a bench I trust but it was not without horror stories--which I'll save you from hearing, but will suggest you read YELP if there are reviews about a jeweler you are considering to do work on your jewelry. Not foolproof, but some place that disgruntled results may be aired--of course there can be a lot of accolades that are not based on facts, too.
Most jewelers do not have a bench on premise so you are paying a middle man (the jeweler) to handle the transaction with a bench..........and they can charge high commissions! It's worth your time to find a good bench... it runs between $30-$35 to set a gem where I know it will be done right--and so glad I found them!! Of course, the flip side is I'm not shy about getting more gems to set......... : /

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
. Soft and or brittle stones like opal or apatite can be much more problematic and the greatest amount of time is taken up in wiping the sweat out of one's eyes and taking antacids...

Hahahaha this made me laugh out loud :eek-2::nono::-o but I know you're serious:rolleyes:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our jeweler downtown (that I Mentioned charges $50 to set a stone) kind of turned their nose up when I brought my moissanite ring in, they were nice but I got a bit of an uppity we only deal in diamonds attitude. That put me off so next time I'll probably go elsewhere.

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
Our jeweler downtown (that I Mentioned charges $50 to set a stone) kind of turned their nose up when I brought my moissanite ring in, they were nice but I got a bit of an uppity we only deal in diamonds attitude. That put me off so next time I'll probably go elsewhere.

I have noticed most people quoted around 50$.
That sounds like a long way from the 200 $ my jeweler quoted.
I wonder whether that's just a rip-off.

His fee includes taking off the existing stone (beryl) and setting the new one (garnet).

If that is the case, is my option just walking away and shopping around for another jeweler?

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here in Switzerland, setting is a different trade skill from jeweler, which is different from 'jewellery person'. So for example, a person will put their credentials as 'jeweler', 'setter' or both. A bench may have a wiz who does it all, but most likely, they will have an in house setter or send it out to be set. I have paid 50-120 for setting. Round diamonds are cheapest, and then anything softer, with angles, or points, the price goes up, so I've been told. And forget about having to modify a setting, it costs hundred.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sapphiredream I would definitely get some other quotes from local jewelers in your area, can't hurt you know? $200 seems high but if you are in a Metropolitan area it might be the going rate.

snotty_pie

Shiny_Rock
I had a local B&M quote me $450 USD this last weekend!! Luckily I have a trusted bench jeweler who I can go to who charges $30-$75 depending on the size/complexity of the stone.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My bench...$100.
Since bench is moving I had to use a new bench for my asscher and they charged $143, which I felt was excessive.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium

His fee includes taking off the existing stone (beryl) and setting the new one (garnet).

If that is the case, is my option just walking away and shopping around for another jeweler?

To set the new stone they probably need to order an new head for the setting. The cost of this is probably in their quote. Did they give you the details? It still seems a bit high to me but I am fortunate that I found a jeweler that does his own work and explains what needs to be ordered to make it happen. When you get quotes from other jewelers you need to know exactly what you are paying for, such as a new head etc.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Yours might be a little more complicated because it is a rectangular stone that is being replaced with a slightly different shape. Switching out stones without rebuilding prongs/replacing head sometimes can be not so successful so I try to avoid doing that as much as possible. So if you have a jeweler who you trust, I would stick with him rather than going to someone else for this type of job!

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here in Switzerland, setting is a different trade skill from jeweler, which is different from 'jewellery person'. So for example, a person will put their credentials as 'jeweler', 'setter' or both. A bench may have a wiz who does it all, but most likely, they will have an in house setter or send it out to be set. I have paid 50-120 for setting. Round diamonds are cheapest, and then anything softer, with angles, or points, the price goes up, so I've been told. And forget about having to modify a setting, it costs hundred.

Actually that's not surprising that jewelers and setters have separate tasks. I used to think if I get a ring made, the same person working on it will make the ring first then set the stones too. That's not always the case, as I swear I have pieces that are made OK, yet have horrible setting jobs. Like the rest of ring may have well executed details and the prongs might look like they were done by the sales lady who took a class in DIY jewelry making. Took me a while to figure out the stone setting part might be sourced out

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You always have the option of choosing to whom you wish to give your money.

Get a couple of quotes, at least. Won't cost you but time and you'll get a feel of the going rates, and maybe find another trusted local (not big box/maul) jeweler for your future endeavors.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results