shape
carat
color
clarity

How much do you spend per yr. on your pets?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you keep track?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't even want to know!

Food: roughly $350/month
Litter: $60/month
Miscellaneous: $100/month

Vets... Yeah.
$500 emergency visit two weeks ago for torn toenail. $350 emergency vet visit for red/inflamed dog butt a few weeks before that. $1,200 tooth cleaning for one of the cats in February or so plus the $800 for x-rays and blood work when he wasn't being himself.

We average a vet or emergency vet visit every couple of months between routine checks and torn nails and whatever creative injuries. When we are lucky, it is about $500. It has been as much as $2,500.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No idea. They need what they need and I probably get them stuff they don't need :lol:

Look at this sorrowful face. I spend my life perpetually feeling sorry for her but not quite knowing why since she's our darling. She's got the sad look down pat.

20190606_093411.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't keep track on what I spend on my fur babies.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No we don't keep track. They are our (best) family members and whatever we need to spend we will. Our sweet girl was recently diagnosed with large cell lymphoma and in the past week we have spent over 2K. I realize that number is going to escalate quickly as we have not even yet begun CHOP protocol which will be I believe at least 1-2K a month.

Money doesn't matter not when our beloved daughter has the potential to receive some quality life left. Material goods mean nothing to us when someone in our family is sick. People and animals matter.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too scary to think about.
My heart dog, a rescue greyhound, had a series of fits which necessitated multiple tests amongst other things including an MRI plus 2 weeks in doggy intensive care. The total bill was over $15,000.
Over the past 20 years and 5 dogs, $50,000 probably at the vet. Food, training, shots, boarding etc all extra.
And worth every cent!

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Nah Df, they're Family you do what you gotta do. We are unfortunately down to 5 Wonderful fur kids all Yorkies (from 6, our Beautiful Gizmo passed in January he just turned 10 in December, miss him terribly). They're our kids. Do you keep track of what you spend on your kids?

Reactions: caf

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More than my kids. Mostly because when something goes wrong healthwise it's all out of pocket with the pets.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nah Df, they're Family you do what you gotta do. We are unfortunately down to 5 Wonderful fur kids all Yorkies (from 6, our Beautiful Gizmo passed in January he just turned 10 in December, miss him terribly). They're our kids. Do you keep track of what you spend on your kids?

This is DF you are talking to. Of course he does!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Typically between 4 to 6k a year for my two sweeties depending on emergency vet visits. Monthly grooming, pet insurance, prescription diet coupled with home made diet, and other expenses add up quickly. Grooming alone is 2k and worth it IMHO.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my dog daisy I spent over 13 years approximately (probably more) 60K,she was consistently sick, every day of those 13 years she was ill. She had had her anal glands removed, she had full allergy testing and allergy shots, needles etc, she took cyclosporine for 11 years of her life. She had cherry eye and back 2001 they removed the glands which in turn gave her lifetime dry and and we had to put drops in her eyes all day (some type of immunosupressive drug also) because helped tear production.. she ate Baker's chocolate and was in the hospital for days for treatment, every single penny I spent on her, EVERY was worth it.. she lived to 13 and died of hemangiosarcoma. I miss her and she died in 13.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After our cat died in 2015, I calculated that we had spent roughly 12K on him (about 1K/year) between food, treats, furniture, boarding and vet. Some years were more expensive than others, of course.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don’t keep track! I have two dogs.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
No idea. They need what they need and I probably get them stuff they don't need :lol:

Look at this sorrowful face. I spend my life perpetually feeling sorry for her but not quite knowing why since she's our darling. She's got the sad look down pat.

20190606_093411.jpg
LOL @mellowyellowgirl that "sad" face has been perfected in order to extract as many treats and lovies possible from her humans, and I'll bet it works like a charm!! :lol-2: She's just beautiful!!

I don't spend much on vet bills because my dogs eat home-cooked which keeps them very healthy and their blood work proves it. Not to mention, homemade costs a LOT less than high end kibble crap. My Coco lived to be 22 and I probably spent about $3,000 on him the last 12 years of his life.

However, my Lola has a luxated patella and is hobbling around on 3 legs. She is scheduled for surgery at the end of the month to the tune of about $2,700. Other than that, the only money spent on her so far, other than food, are her vaccinations and license fee.

Lola7.jpg

DiamondGal28

Rough_Rock
Hello - I'm new so first time posting. We have dogs and horses. Our dogs get what they need when they need it. The horses on the other hand, have their own checking account so hubby doesn't see what they cost. legit. :lol:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whatever it is, it's well worth it! Honestly, I don't know. We take them to the vet more regularly than anyone else I know. They get their nails trimmed there every month. I have 3 chihuahuas. A "real" vet appointment where something is "wrong" will be a minimum of $300. Shots for 3 is over $300. Food, no idea, maybe around $80 per month. They get the best quality treats, maybe $8 x3 per month. I mean, one vet visit was $600 because one of them ate a piece of potpourri once. Maybe we were gouged, whatever. One vet visit was $300 for virtually NO reason whatsoever. One of them was looking up and licking at air. We thought OMG he has congestive heart failure (same symptom another dog of ours had once). Nope, he was 100% fine.:lol-2:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yea, No...I dont keep track. Why do UTIs and other illnesses always seem to start on a Friday after hours so that you have to take them to the
emergency vet? Its a horrible feeling when your pet is sick but if they're going to be sick I wish they could schedule it Mon-Fri during business hours!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yea, No...I dont keep track. Why do UTIs and other illnesses always seem to start on a Friday after hours so that you have to take them to the
emergency vet? Its a horrible feeling when your pet is sick but if they're going to be sick I wish they could schedule it Mon-Fri during business hours!

My emergency vet costs less than my regular vet. The regular always wants to do blood work since we are "almost" one year after the last blood work was done. That adds $200-300 per go...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please adopt me. I'm less expensive than your pets. :lol:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This year? A f*cking lot... :doh:Two operations and intensive vet care for a fortnight. Thank god she pulled through and is now completely indifferent to all the money, stress and tears we spent on her... :rolleyes:
ilkatart.jpg
*also happens to be the cutest, best dog EVERRRRRR! :love:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Borris goes to the loo in the garden, i have a bag of lavander clumping kitty litter for emergencies like if it snows
she has a fancy scratch tower that cost about $100 she got for xmas 2017
2018 she just got a tin of tuna !
i always buy her food first,
with the exception of a few types she is happy to eat what's on special. she gets the odd tin of tuna and chicken plus cooked meat from our dinner and she is addicted to those temptation cat lollies
i buy wet food and biscuits (kibble)
laat year her vet bill was about $360 after she went off her food and stopped drinking -we got blood tests and a couple of IVs and an appetite stimulant
since we have been looking after the stray tom cat food bills have almost doubled
he has a much bigger frame to fill and he sleeps outside (in a nice warm bed) and i give him a wee slice of cat sussage when we go to bed
he was so skinny he used to eat every last morsel of food but now he has food security he is happy to leave a bit for latter, he's just starting to get a tiny bit fussy - but why shouldn't he ? - we don't eat what we don't like

no way would i add the bills up - the other half would not be happy
last week i put my back out carrying in the cat food
but the cost is paid back in love a million times and then some :kiss2:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to budget because we only buy hay once a year for the horses. I never want to be the person that runs out in winter. That bill is usually $1200-$1400 depending on the weather, they don't get grain. The dogs and barn cats are around $80 per month. None of this includes vet bills but we don't have many of those unless an emergency. I give all shots, wormer, etc.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My emergency vet costs less than my regular vet. The regular always wants to do blood work since we are "almost" one year after the last blood work was done. That adds $200-300 per go...

Ouch! Just say No:cheeky:. I dont go looking for trouble. If there is nothing wrong with our cats when they go in for shots...they only get shots. The vet
doesnt do anything extra but look them over (check teeth), ask questions, etc. No blood work. Our vet is rather conservative in treating though which
is the way I prefer it.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

DF are your Koi expensive to keep/maintain?

cheers--Sharon

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

DF are your Koi expensive to keep/maintain?

cheers--Sharon
Cheap compared to dogs and cats. Probably cost me like $70 for electricity per month and $70 in food per yr b/c I only have 5 koi in my pond now. No vet bills for koi. :bigsmile:

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL @mellowyellowgirl that "sad" face has been perfected in order to extract as many treats and lovies possible from her humans, and I'll bet it works like a charm!! :lol-2: She's just beautiful!!

I don't spend much on vet bills because my dogs eat home-cooked which keeps them very healthy and their blood work proves it. Not to mention, homemade costs a LOT less than high end kibble crap. My Coco lived to be 22 and I probably spent about $3,000 on him the last 12 years of his life.

However, my Lola has a luxated patella and is hobbling around on 3 legs. She is scheduled for surgery at the end of the month to the tune of about $2,700. Other than that, the only money spent on her so far, other than food, are her vaccinations and license fee.

Lola7.jpg

Do you go by a recipe for the home cooked food? I used to have a recipe that I used for my last Yorkie but haven't tried it for my current one. She has a torn CCL but the vet said they wouldn't advise surgery because she is under 10 pounds and they don't find it seems to make much difference in a little dog. She is on an anti inflammatory, pain (NSAID for dogs basically) and it does seem to be helping some. He said it will take three months at least to tighten back up. She is now walking on four legs most of the time but she can't jump on furniture or anything anymore.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please adopt me. I'm less expensive than your pets. :lol:

Really? Because you wouldn't be allowed on the furniture and you'd have to sleep on the floor and eat dog food. You'd be going to the vet every month for nail trims, and possibly to the groomer too. I don't think you'd like having to "go outside" during the long Canadian winters either.:P2

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Do you go by a recipe for the home cooked food? I used to have a recipe that I used for my last Yorkie but haven't tried it for my current one. She has a torn CCL but the vet said they wouldn't advise surgery because she is under 10 pounds and they don't find it seems to make much difference in a little dog. She is on an anti inflammatory, pain (NSAID for dogs basically) and it does seem to be helping some. He said it will take three months at least to tighten back up. She is now walking on four legs most of the time but she can't jump on furniture or anything anymore.
Well, I might be worried that your baby's quality of life would be diminished by her injury. Would you consider a second opinion from an orthopedic vet? I saw 3 vets, 2 of which are board certified orthopedists, all of which recommend surgery (she's overweight at 15 lbs), and the two orthopedists had the same diagnosis. They also told me if I wanted to bypass surgery, I could crate her for 90 days for scar tissue to build up and that would give me a 35% chance of healing properly. But if it doesn't work, she'd be crated for 90 days, and then crated again for another 60-90 days after the surgery anyways. Her patellar groove is very shallow and that patella will ALWAYS slip out if not repaired.... And she is a total terror. If she sees a lizard, bird or kitty on top of the fence, she tears out of the house at 4 million miles an hour like her hair is on fire. She also jumps and digs and causes all kinds of other mayhem, so I know she injured herself in one of those Guard of The Yard episodes on top of already having a congenital deficiency in her hind legs. None of this is helped by the fact that she is 25% overweight...but she has perfected that same face @mellowyellowgirl's baby gives her, and I give her a treat..... :roll

I have a bunch of information I could give you re diet, but I don't want to completely threadjack DF. Is it possible to get a hold of you through LT or DB? I posted some of it a few months ago here in Hangout, but that thread was deleted by its owner. I have a list of bullet points I give to my clients when they start to see the light re nutrition. Let me know and I'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results