shape
carat
color
clarity

How much do diamond prices increase over time?

NK2012

Rough_Rock
Just a quick question, how much do diamond prices increase over time?

This is not a value question, as I’m not questioning whether a diamond is a good investment or not.

I’d like to be able to purchase an upgrade one day. It’s not in our budget at this time, and would likely be something we would have to save for over a number of years due to other priorities. My goal is to have 2+ cts, so I’m questioning how much I can expect prices to increase on a 2 ct say 5-10 years from now? I don’t want to disappoint myself if I don’t have the required amount when I think we’re finally ready to purchase the upgrade.

Thanks in advance!

PrismBaby

Rough_Rock
Trade
Just a quick question, how much do diamond prices increase over time?

This is not a value question, as I’m not questioning whether a diamond is a good investment or not.

I’d like to be able to purchase an upgrade one day. It’s not in our budget at this time, and would likely be something we would have to save for over a number of years due to other priorities. My goal is to have 2+ cts, so I’m questioning how much I can expect prices to increase on a 2 ct say 5-10 years from now? I don’t want to disappoint myself if I don’t have the required amount when I think we’re finally ready to purchase the upgrade.

Thanks in advance!

Hey NK2012. Great question.

Every decade.. 5 +/- %.. so many variables. Shape, cut?

With only 10 years in this realm and how the industry progresses, I noticed the biggest increase in prices were in 2014 and I would say right now they are ‘leveled’. We could reach 2024 and they spike again and then settle back to ‘normal’ by the time of 2029 when you’re ready to upgrade. Of course nothing is guaranteed, just my outlook on it.

Last edited:

NK2012

Rough_Rock
Hey NK2012. Great question.

Every decade.. 5 +/- %.. so many variables. Shape, cut?

With only 10 years in this realm and how the industry progresses, I noticed the biggest increase in prices were in 2014 and I would say right now they are ‘leveled’. We could reach 2024 and they spike again and then settle back to ‘normal’ by the time of 2029 when you’re ready to upgrade. Of course nothing is guaranteed, just my outlook on it.

Planning for an ideal cut round, hopefully 2 cts. Thank you for your response! It was very helpful.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They can go up or down. People who bought around 2011 or 2012 saw prices decline afterwards. I bought a diamond in 2013 and I would not be able to sell it for a penny more than I paid, or even less. So there's no way to know. If there's a spike in prices, it could mess up your plans. But in the last few years, there haven't been big increases, so it has been a nice time to upgrade.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
No one can say for sure with any degree of confidence.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds are less expensive today than 2 yrs ago.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results