shape
carat
color
clarity

How long have your worked for your employer?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lucky ooo~Shiney just got a bonus cheque for longevity with her employer... and it got me wondering, how long have PSers been with their current company - or the longest you've stayed with one employer?

I've been at the same place for 22 years and my biggest perk is I get 6 weeks vacation / year. I also have a HUGE bank of sick leave, if needed. Otherwise, no perks for me as a municipal employee. My DH has been with his company x 18+ years and it has been bought out twice from the original company he was hired into. They did receive milestone gifts at 10 and 15 years (I think he chose a watch both times!) and that company gives 'high fives' throughout the year for incentives.

Any other "lifer's" out there? Any great perks when you hit a milestone? (hey - I'm happy with my paycheque! That's enough of a milestone for me every 2 weeks!!) :bigsmile:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I've worked for the Dept of Health for 7 years, in my current location for 6. We routinely get 4-6 weeks of vacation/year, plus about 14 sick days as well.

There is some sort of 'pat on the back' you get at 10, 15, 20, etc years. Not sure what - something lame like a pin? I think they consider our 4-5% pay rises each year to be sufficient thanks.

The only really big perk is at 10 years you get long service leave - a bonus 12 weeks of leave, so you have 18 weeks of paid leave that year. You can use it all at once, or piecemeal, or choose to get it paid out. Then you get it again every 7 years after that. We used to get it after the first 7 years, but it got bumped up to 10 years of initial service during one of our pay negotiations -- more pay, but have to wait an extra 3 years for our first lot of long service.

DH and I have already planned our South American holiday for when we get long service leave, lol. :bigsmile:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
9 years. We don't get years of service awards time but I am treated very well so I don't really care about recognition for years of service. I am probably a lifer as well.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a teacher in NYC with the potential for a very long career although I am currently 4 years in. There are no celebrations of any kind, didn't even get a "pat" for tenure. If anything the school employees will celebrate together, the admin is never involved (at least at my school).

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've been at my job for 2+ years. I'm a teacher and am feeling very positive now about our current admin and can see myself staying for a long while. This was not the case last year! :D We don't have tenure here, and I'm ok w/that.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I am 5 years, 8 months in with the Federal Government and don't really see myself leaving voluntarily any time soon.

No real recognition of longevity at this point, but my annual leave allowance did increase at 3 years. It will increase again at I think 15 years and stay put after that.

I think there may be recognition for like 20+ years of service? Not sure. But if there is it's just a certificate.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was at my previous job for 8, and I've been at this one for a month shy of three years.

D

Deactivated member 42515

Ugh... 10 years now I've been with my employer... DH has been with his for about 6 years and for 4 of those 6, he never got paid his holiday triple time. So, we are in the process of trying to get all his back pay. Accounting thinks its gonna be about $5-6k. How awesome to just get a check for that! But who knows, accounting says its his but HR has to sign off on it, then the plant manager, and then corporate. But DH has all the emails stating he is owed money. Dunno if they will give it to us if they don't wanna get sued.

ETA: Hope I didn't jinx it by sharing the info. Usually happens.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been there for a little over 15 years, we do not get service awards, however I do get 6 weeks vacation and I get to work at home..we do not get anything for hitting the major milestones..oh wait I got a letter that said thanks for the 15 years service does that count :lol: I dont intend to leave the company I am 11 years out to retirement and I intend to retire from there..however I can see me changing jobs within the company as the one I currently have is very stressful.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Just over 4 years with a Fortune 10 company. The first 2 years I was an expat for them so I 30+ days of vacation a year plus great other $$$ benefits. Not so much now that we are back in the States. But I like my team and I work from home so I have no real complaints.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
2.5 years. I only get 2 weeks of vacation time, but I'm bonus-eligible, so that's a plus.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been with my current employer for almost 14 years now. We get bonus days off for 5, 10 and 15 years. I get part of my cell phone bill reimbursed since I am on call 24 x 7. We get 9 paid holidays and vacation days increase after 5 years so I now have 3 weeks of vacation and 1 week of sick. We can carry forward unused days but have a limit of how much extra we can have.

DH has changed jobs over a year ago and gets 10 holidays, 2 floating holidays, 3 weeks vacation, 10 days sick leave and departmental performance bonus.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I've got the best boss ever. I asked if I could go to South Beach for a month followed by a month in England, and she said yes without a moment's hesitation.

I'm a book editor, working only for the household names like Penguin, HarperCollins, Houghton Mifflin, etc. (I don't work for individuals.) I worked on the Twilight series. Working for myself is the best thing I have EVER done! My hubster is a columnist on the Wall Street Journal so we are footloose and fancy-free since we can do our work anywhere. Now I actually get to edit books instead of sitting in pointless meetings all day, or beating off with a stick every wannabe author in town! After 13 years of corporate life in huge companies, this is the best. I just can't believe how kind and nice my boss is....she lets me do whatever I want! And my long-service reward is diamonds.

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
I've been with the University of California since 2002 but have moved to different departments and recently changed campuses. At 10 yrs I started accruing more vacation time but not much. I'm going to miss my health benefits when I become a SAHM in October but I can't wait! :bigsmile:

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
1year, 3 months. If all goes well, I'll be switching departments. We'll see, though. The handbook states that they like to hire from within, however history dictates that this is not the case.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
8 years with my current employer.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1362953650|3401524 said:
I've got the best boss ever. I asked if I could go to South Beach for a month followed by a month in England, and she said yes without a moment's hesitation.

I'm a book editor, working only for the household names like Penguin, HarperCollins, Houghton Mifflin, etc. (I don't work for individuals.) I worked on the Twilight series. Working for myself is the best thing I have EVER done! My hubster is a columnist on the Wall Street Journal so we are footloose and fancy-free since we can do our work anywhere. Now I actually get to edit books instead of sitting in pointless meetings all day, or beating off with a stick every wannabe author in town! After 13 years of corporate life in huge companies, this is the best. I just can't believe how kind and nice my boss is....she lets me do whatever I want! And my long-service reward is diamonds.
:bigsmile:

Your job and lifestyle sound wonderful!

This is my third school year with my current employer. I was just granted tenure and I missed all of the big celebrations on campus because I'm at home on a partial leave. I love my current employer, and have never taught in a better place. The college was created 42 years ago by a group of feisty dreamers who wanted to change higher education, and many of them are still teaching today. The spirit with which the school was created still exists, and I feel very much at-home there.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I worked for my previous employer for 6 years out of high school. It was a 5:45AM shift, M-F. I don't think I've ever known anyone my age to keep a job that long, or give up their "night life" that young. Everyone at my work was shocked at how long I lasted. I only quit because my FT school life required me to attend a morning class.. :blackeye: If it weren't for the class schedule class, I would still be working there.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Almost 2 years. I don't know that we get special recognition at any point, but after 2 years I get more PTO, and it goes up again at years 3, 4, and 5, when it levels out.

My husband is going on 10 years with his company, and he gets some sort of cool special plague at 10 years that he's excited about. He loves his company so he wouldn't care either!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1362971148|3401712 said:
My husband is going on 10 years with his company, and he gets some sort of cool special plague at 10 years that he's excited about.

I hope not, Thing2! ;))

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
She means "plaque"! :lol:

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1362966391|3401663 said:
Smith1942|1362953650|3401524 said:

I'm a book editor, working only for the household names like Penguin, HarperCollins, Houghton Mifflin, etc. (I don't work for individuals.) I worked on the Twilight series. Working for myself is the best thing I have EVER done! My hubster is a columnist on the Wall Street Journal so we are footloose and fancy-free since we can do our work anywhere. Now I actually get to edit books instead of sitting in pointless meetings all day, or beating off with a stick every wannabe author in town! After 15 years of corporate life in huge companies, this is the best. I just can't believe how kind and nice my boss is....she lets me do whatever I want! And my long-service reward is diamonds.
:bigsmile:

Your job and lifestyle sound wonderful!
This is my third school year with my current employer. I was just granted tenure and I missed all of the big celebrations on campus because I'm at home on a partial leave. I love my current employer, and have never taught in a better place. The college was created 42 years ago by a group of feisty dreamers who wanted to change higher education, and many of them are still teaching today. The spirit with which the school was created still exists, and I feel very much at-home there.

Yeah, it is pretty good! I was corporate for a long time, 15 years, worked with a few office sociopaths and feel that much time in offices is wasted because of endless meetings, interruptions...never again. Love working for myself, especially since I usually get more work than I can accept. That means more money for sparklies!

Your school sounds amazing!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith1942|1362976656|3401749 said:
She means "plaque"! :lol:

I know, I'm just teasing :lol:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was hired four years ago. ETA: There is little to no job mobility in my field -- it is nearly impossible to get a job at all, and in Canada people don't move around much. So I will likely be in this job until I retire!

I am a tenure-track professor so we get sabbatical as our perk. I think I can take a 6 month sabbatical next year, or I can save it and take a full year once I get tenure (likely in 2 years). Sabbatical means no teaching or service requirements of the job. We are supposed to do research in that time. Many profs visit another university on sabbatical, but that's hard with a spouse who can't take a year off from his job too!

There are other perks too, but they are less formalized.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
9 years 1 month and 10 days :D

10 years 10 months and 23 days until I can retire :D

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
madelise|1362972953|3401726 said:
My husband is going on 10 years with his company, and he gets some sort of cool special plague at 10 years that he's excited about.

I hope not, Thing2! ;))

LOLOLOLLLLLL yes, I did mean plaque with a Q! :lol: :lol: :lol:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can hand in my walking papers anytime I choose! :bigsmile:

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I've been with my employer for 14 years, and I'm just 31 years old. Five of those years didn't count toward my benefit accrual (minimum wage, low on the totem pole) but the last 9 years have counted toward retirement and PTO accrual. We used to have separate vacation and sick leave, but they merged it, which is good for those of us who are healthy. :D I bank just a bit under one day of vacation per pay period, which ends up being 23 days per year (about 5 weeks), and they roll from year to year, and I can bank up to 46 days of PTO (9 weeks). Next year when I hit 10 years (15 total), I will earn more than one day of vacation per pay period, so 28 days per year, and can bank 56 days of PTO (11 weeks). Also, my retirement 'high 5' salary will go up significantly in 2014 after I'll have been in my administrative position for 5 years. I think at 10 years, I'll also get some money I can use to buy stuff from the employee store (clothes with logo on it, etc.). I think this is kind of lame, but whatever, it's a public service job.

My DH has been with his employer for 3 years, and he has over 6 weeks of vacation banked, plus they seem to give him a shirt or something every year, sometimes more often. I have to admit, I am a little jealous of the swag he gets, but I make more money, so... :cheeky:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I worked in my previous company for 7.5 years. I'm just over 3 months in my current one.

My current company gives great perks. $360 a year for gym membership, or eligible wellness activity (includes golf lessons or even swimming lessons for the kiddo). 2 shutdowns per year...one during xmas and the other in summer. And when you are here 5 years, they make you take a 4 week paid sabbatical - and people usually do it during the summer shutdown, resulting in 5 weeks off paid. At 10 years, it's a 5 week sabbatical, and at 15, it's 6 weeks.

It's not just long term perks either - our team just started a monthly award program for "above and beyond." I'm got the award for the second month of this - and it's a nice gift card for $200 which will buy something nice for the kid for her bday. ::)

So far, I love it here.

D

Deactivated member 42515

thing2of2 said:
madelise|1362972953|3401726 said:

I hope not, Thing2! ;))

LOLOLOLLLLLL yes, I did mean plaque with a Q! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hahahah this made me LOL!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results