shape
carat
color
clarity

How long does it take to re-size a ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

realron75

Rough_Rock
I just bought a ring from Whiteflash and for the record I''m thrilled with it. I need to tweak the size a little and go from a 6.0 to a 6.5 and don''t feel like shipping it back to whiteflash. If I go to a local store in my area that has onsite jewelers is it realistic to be able to drop off the ring and have it sized while I wait? I honestly don''t want to let it out of my sight I love the ring so much.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congratulations on your new ring.

Most jewelers can do this kind of work fairly quickly although there are sometimes complications because of the design or materials of the piece. Ask ''em. Many can do it while you wait, especially if you arrange for an appointment so that there are fewer problems involving scheduling around their other customers.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

realron75

Rough_Rock
Thanks Neil. Its just a simple solitaire so I shouldn''t have many issues.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Lots of jewelers w/ onsite craftsmen will do it while you wait. That''s cuz there are all those horror stories of jewelers switching stones that customers now demand to never let the ring out of their site.

If you do watch while they''re doing it, give them an hour. When they take their time, they can usually get it right the first time.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awwwww, c''mon...we just love our rings, and we know we''re somewhat unreasonable.
emembarrassed.gif

Two separate jewelers I''ve gone to will do the resizing somewhere between 1 hour and 1 day. I usually do drop it off in the morning and if I''m first in line, I''ll wait the hour or so for the ring. I''ve there are people ahead of me, I usually come back just before closing time. I couldn''t bear the thought of having to wait overnight.
40.gif

1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
local jeweler resized my eternity bands 1/4 a size in 10 minutes. i went over to the dog boutique while they fixed it. didn''t charge me either!
1.gif

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I always make an appointment with my jeweler even if it''s just to remove a link from a watch. He seems to appreciate it and if he''s really busy he''ll let me know and I''ll choose a day that''s better for him or me. I trust him so it''s no biggie for me to leave my diamonds overnight or a couple of days if need be. He''s an honest person and I never have qualms about him switching diamonds or anything like that.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2005 2:16:35 PM
Author: Feydakin
Yeah, but all he did is grind it out on a sanding drum.. A real sizing, with cutting and ''adding'' metal takes longer.. But you know that
12.gif
Not really, so thanks for pointing it out!

Nachoman

Rough_Rock
We took my fiance''s ring into a mall jeweler to have it resized. They took 2 business days which was fine with me. We have a jubilee cut so it would be hard for them to pull any type of diamond shennanigans on us. We''re happy with the results although we might have to get it resized again.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Switching diamonds?? - has any jeweller really made a living off that? Most of us are honest far beyond the norm, we have to be to get appro'' (Us term?) to make a living...

Leave it as long as it takes and remind him/her if your getting worried. Some sizing - tapping up, (or dumming) a 1/4 size is fast. Down is pretty fast. Up in plat'' will take more time. A thick band could even require a trip to the bullion dealer, maybe. If there are risks it could take much longer. Your talking about expensive items. Rush it, or deal with someone who will be rushed and there is is a very real price.

''She gave me water''

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results