shape
carat
color
clarity

How long does it take to put diamond in a setting?

franny_47

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I'm ashamed of being such a snoop, but I can't help it. Basically through a combination of snooping, eavesdropping, and bf's chatty family, I've figured out that:

- he plans to propose "soon"
- he bought a diamond at a jeweler friend of the family (over a month ago) but he needed to go back to choose the setting from a catalog.
- he is carrying around something that looks like a bill of sale in his bag, but it says "not a bill of sale" on the bottom. It says the price he paid for a .9 carat diamond and yellow gold setting. He also has a diamond certificate thing. I didn't look too closely at it because I already felt too guilty for snooping.

I think he got the "receipt-like document" on Friday after work before he came home. Since it wasn't a bill of sale, I'm guessing that just means he confirmed the setting he wanted and placed the order to have the ring made?

I really would like a rough estimate of how long it will be until he gets the actual ring. I feel like I'm going insane. He took me to look at rings way before Christmas (HIS idea!) and said "soon" (ok, obviously our definition of "soon" differs greatly!)!

I have not been nagging or even bringing it up (though I probably seem like a huge nag by posting a question like this!).

How long do you think it would take to have a diamond placed in a setting from a catalog? I don't think it's very highly sought-after or well known jeweler because I googled the name of the jeweler and there were no reviews and no website.

Days? Weeks? Months (please not months!) Any ideas?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on the setting. If it's just a yellow gold setting from a catalog (probably a stock setting), 20 minutes. If it's a handmade setting from Tacori or an artisan like Single Stone, up to 3-4 months depending on how backlogged they are.

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
You don't sound like a nag!

If its a stock setting from a catalog it'll be a matter of days, or less! :appl:

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
How exciting! Congrats on the upcoming engagement! :appl:

It took James Allen about 2 days to set my loose stone in a stock setting. It took BGD 3 weeks to create a modified version of their classic tiffany and set my diamond.

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
IMHO, just relax and let things happen.

Don't you want to be at least a little bit surprised? :))

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
Any news, franny_47? :))

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If he made a special order from a catalog or from the case in a jewelry store, the turnaround time for that sort of thing is generally 4-6 weeks if it's coming from an outside vendor.

franny_47

Rough_Rock
I totally forgot about posting this thread, I only found myself back here after my (now) fiance bought me an aquamarine right hand ring for my birthday and I was wondering about how careful I need to be with the stone (apparently "quite").

He did propose at the end of August last year (at the same place we met 2 years before that).

We are getting married in 2 months :) Fingers crossed for a sunny day!

I did have to wait a while (he had that particular date in mind, even though he had the ring hidden at his parents house for months) but it was worth the wait :)

I am not sure how to post a picture, and I have a hard time taking any that do it any justice :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results