shape
carat
color
clarity

How long did it take to find your stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering how long it took people to find their stones (for engagement rings). I''ve been searching for 6 months now and counting... I don''t think I''m being too picky. I know it''s near impossible to find a perfect stone that fits every single criterion (and I''m willing to compromise on some things) but I also feel that this is a BIG purchase and I shouldn''t just settle on a stone to be done with it (as much as I''d like to be engaged already). It''s something that I''m going to wear and look at everyday and have for a very looooong time so I want to be sure I end up with something I love.

So just curious, how long did it take you to find your rock?

-Sugarplum

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Less than 2 weeks once I started searching and was ready to buy.

Why don''t you give your budget, stone shape, and other criteria, and PSrs can help recommend something? Or direct you to a vendor who can help you?

Do you have a setting in mind? What types do you like when you visit a B&M?

I guess you realize that here on PS, we think the vendors that support this board are awesome, and would refer you to work with one of them. You could even give them a call and let them know what you are looking for, and they will give you some advice.

Good luck on your search!
21.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The size range you were looking in was the problem. I also looked in the 1.4-1.49 range for several months for my anniversary diamond and finally ended up with a 1.63. I just couldn''t find many great stones in the 1.4 range.

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/12/2007 1:47:19 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
The size range you were looking in was the problem. I also looked in the 1.4-1.49 range for several months for my anniversary diamond and finally ended up with a 1.63. I just couldn''t find many great stones in the 1.4 range.
diamondseeker is correct - very few stones are cut in the 1.4-1.49 range....most cutters will try to maximize it as much as they can in order to hit the 1.5 mark (which means more money).

To answer your question, I chose a stone from the first vendor I worked with, and decided to buy it only after a few days! Don''t worry too much...I''m sure there''s something out there for you. Can you please remind us of all your criteria so we can help you find one, or at least steer you in the right direction?

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Everyone.

Not many stones are cut in the 1.4 range...tell me about it! Ha ha. I''m looking for something in the 1.4+ range (recently decided to go above the magic 1.5 number), E-F color, VS1-VS2 (the BF doesn''t want anything with too much action going on), EX-VG (cut, polish, symmetry), none-faint fluorescence, no cutlet, has a cert date of 2007.

We''ve been searching at numerous local stores as well as searching online (bluenile, jamesallen, whiteflash, goodoldgold, etc.). We''re very close to making a purchase at a local store (we''ve built a relationship with them over the months and they''ve been great)...we''re going to check out another stone this week and if it looks good, it might be the one. However, if it doesn''t work out, we''re going to explore more into online vendors.

We''re set on the Vatche Royal Crown!
9.gif
We both love the classic, timeless look of a solitaire and the rounder look of 6 prongs. Plus my fingers are small so you probably won''t be able to see much of any sidestones anyway.

-Sugarplum

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
How about this one?
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3066/

Unless I'm missing something, it seems to fit your criteria. Reserve it right away if you think you might want it, since there weren't many diamonds that came up in my search!

GOG sells the Vatche Royal Crown as well.

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks jstarfireb.

We came across that stone but for that price the BF wanted to keep searching for now. We were also unsure about the cluster of inclusions. We''d like to see the stone before we purchase it so right now we''re sticking with local stores but at the same time exploring online vendors. If we do make an online purchase, we''d go for a VS1 so that we know the inclusions won''t be anything major.

-Sugarplum

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been told that with a VS2 and a reputable grading report like AGS or GIA, you should definitely not expect to see inclusions from the top. VS pretty much guarantees eye-clean. I understand your concerns about the price, but with the size, clarity, and especially color you''re looking for, I don''t think you''ll find much lower prices!

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
I looked about a year...some of that time was looking casually and not feverishly..plus I was trying to educate myself. Also, I was afraid to buy online but, once I got over that, the online vendor I worked with had me a stone that we loved in about 2 weeks. Good luck to you!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I called the vendor, told them what I wanted (also 1.4-1.49) and they had just gotten one in that day. I bought it.
9.gif

I deserved it after everything I''d been through though.
20.gif

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/12/2007 5:22:15 PM
Author: Ellen
I called the vendor, told them what I wanted (also 1.4-1.49) and they had just gotten one in that day. I bought it.
9.gif

I deserved it after everything I''d been through though.
20.gif
Ellen, sounds like it was meant to be!

Everything you''d been through? Nothing serious I hope.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Two months to find the stone (almost to the day) and it''ll be a year at the end of this month and still no ring LOL

pushing on two months now. But I started out looking at I clarity then learned about diamond and was looking for SI1 J color and out the door for 1500...lol I have raised the bar a little bit since then. Hopefully I can be done with this searching soon, and hopefully my soon to be return to BN will go smoothly.
Also, I know my purchase is nothing compared to yours, but talk to the vendors online. You may not be able to see it, but trained gemologist can, and they will be honest with you if you tell them exactly what to look for. Here I am with a 2k purchase requesting side views to make sure the diamonds are totally eye-clean from all angles, and they are slowly but def. getting it done for me. Imagine what they would do for you who is spending so much more with them? I hope you get it soon though! put up pictures:)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2007 10:42:11 PM
Author: sugarplum
Ellen, sounds like it was meant to be!

Everything you''d been through? Nothing serious I hope.
I really think it was. Especially since I knew who I was going to buy from, and was ready, but just didn''t contact them for almost 3 weeks after I made the decision.

Serious only from an ethical and emotional standpoint. It involved dealing with a local jeweler who I had bought a ring from. It (the stone) became very suspicious, they didn''t want to honor their return policy, it got ugly, they finally took it back and yanked the policy from their website.
1.gif

But you know, I''m actually glad it happened. It brought me here, where I''ve learned so much, and made many new friends.
2.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not long -- we only looked at 2.

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
Yike Ellen! I''m glad you were able to return the stone and get your money back!

Harriet- that is the cutest dog! I love dogs...wanted one ever since I was little but never got one. My BF and I are waiting until after we''re married and settled into our place before getting a dog. Is that a shih tzu?

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''ve "looked" for years, just in case! But when the proposal finally came, I had just been in NYC and had looked on 47th street, just to get an idea of what I thought I wanted and general "before bartering" prices. About a week after the proposal, I stumbled upon my antique ring in an estate shop and that was it. I had someone already calling in some other old cuts to match another I already had, but that idea flew out the window after I saw "my ring"...So only about 1 week after becoming engaged is when I found my stone/ring. But if I had ended up with my original plan, it might have taken much longer.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Just realized that although I posted a possible stone for you, I didn't answer your question! I actually started looking for a setting first because I had a specific design in mind. We decided to have Whiteflash replicate a design that we had found at Costco. Rather than keep the ring from Costco, I decided I wanted a 1ct princess ideal-cut diamond, so we started looking at WF. I narrowed it down to diamonds under $5000, which put me squarely in the I color range. There were 2 very nice 1ct I ACAs that I liked:

http://www.whiteflash.com/aca_princess/A-Cut-Above-Princess-cut-diamond-231907.htm#
http://www.whiteflash.com/aca_princess/A-Cut-Above-Princess-cut-diamond-231916.htm#

I liked the pictures, ASET, and IS better on the second one, even though it was a tiny bit smaller, so that's the one I ended up with! And it's gorgeous. So, in summary, once I decided to have WF do the setting, I reserved the diamond right away. I guess I'd say it took about a week to find my diamond.

I still think you should snatch up that Good Old Gold diamond, though!
11.gif
Or consider going lower in color to drop the cost. My I princess is still very white, for example! I wouldn't necessarily recommend I color in a princess if you're color-sensitive, but G-H can be a nice compromise.

For example, there's an H/VS1 ACA princess here:
http://www.whiteflash.com/aca_princess/A-Cut-Above-Princess-cut-diamond-312231.htm# with a VERY recent AGS cert.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2007 11:54:27 AM
Author: sugarplum
Yike Ellen! I''m glad you were able to return the stone and get your money back!

Harriet- that is the cutest dog! I love dogs...wanted one ever since I was little but never got one. My BF and I are waiting until after we''re married and settled into our place before getting a dog. Is that a shih tzu?
What breed are you thinking of getting? Yes, those are our shih tzus. They can be rascals, but their sweet tempers make up for it. We''d love another one, but DF says we don''t have the space.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I researched for months but it was only the lack of funds at the time that stopped me from buying. Once I had the money I paid for the diamond a couple of weeks before I decided on a setting. Then I received my ring within a week or so.
1.gif

I also loved hanging round here making friends
36.gif

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Everyone. Hopefully I''ll find a rock soon.

Surfgirl- I know what you mean by "looked for years" even before the proposal. I''ve been researching and looking for stones for years as well. Not avidly searching but just to take a look at what''s out there. It''s fun and who doesn''t like to look at pretty, sparkley diamonds?!
30.gif

Jstarfireb- I might just snatch up that GOG stone if the stone at my local store isn''t to our liking (at times I think my BF is pickier than I am...haha). We''ll see....

Harriet- I''d like shih tzu or a shih tzu mix. They''re so cute. BF wants a big dog though. I wouldn''t be able to handle a big dog. I''m petite so if we got a big dog, I wouldn''t be walking it...it''d be walking me!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
sugarplum, it IS funny isn''t it, how "looking" changes radically after "the proposal" doesn''t it? I used to think I''d never ever get a round. Too common. Nope. I always wanted an EC. But then it was "go time" and I realized that the EC sizes that looked decent on my big fingers were way out of reach for us so I had to re-think. And then I fell in love with an old cut round. So go figure! Just enjoy the process!

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/13/2007 1:22:26 AM
Author: WorkingHardforSmallRewards
pushing on two months now. But I started out looking at I clarity then learned about diamond and was looking for SI1 J color and out the door for 1500...lol I have raised the bar a little bit since then. Hopefully I can be done with this searching soon, and hopefully my soon to be return to BN will go smoothly.
Also, I know my purchase is nothing compared to yours, but talk to the vendors online. You may not be able to see it, but trained gemologist can, and they will be honest with you if you tell them exactly what to look for. Here I am with a 2k purchase requesting side views to make sure the diamonds are totally eye-clean from all angles, and they are slowly but def. getting it done for me. Imagine what they would do for you who is spending so much more with them? I hope you get it soon though! put up pictures:)
WorkingHardforSmallRewards- I love the fact that you''re asking for side views of the stones!
1.gif
It''s a big purchase, regardless of dollar amount, size, etc. Buying a diamond is a big deal and I''m sure what you''re going to do with the diamond and what the diamond represents will be invaluable, so you have every right to make sure the stone is to your liking.

I''ll definitely post pics once I get the rock. BTW, I like your user name! It caught my eye when I was browsing the site.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results