shape
carat
color
clarity

How important is a polite receptionist to you?

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Let''s say you are a new patient, have never met the Dr., and you call to make an appointment. If the receptionist is rude, do you say thanks but no thanks? How about if you make your way into the office and the receptionist is rude? Do you regret going in? Do you think that the quality of the service you receive from the office staff reflects on the Dr?

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Yup, I have to say I do. Patients deal with receptionists a lot - calling for prescriptions, certs, sensitive issues. So I think politeness, at the very least, is vital.

Also, on the flip side, I can''t stand people who are rude to receptionists and then turn around and are sweet as anything to the boss
29.gif

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I don''t feel that their attitudes reflect on the Dr. (for me personally) but it does leave me with a bad taste in my mouth. I enjoy being somewhere much more when the staff our friendly. For example, I would see a counselor maybe once or twice a month, and his staff was amazingly friendly. 2 of them recognized me and remembered who I was. Made a big difference to me.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
I also feel a rude receptionist doesn''t reflect on the Dr., however it annoys me big time.

My primary care Dr''s receptionists are the worse. And I am sweet as pie as I have worked with some mean clients and I know how it is. One time I came to my appt 5 mins early, so I was feeling pretty good. I get in there and the receptionist reprimands me, telling me that I was supposed to be there 15 mins early not 5 and that I need to remember that next time. I told her that when they called me to confirm the appt they never told me that and she rolled her eyes at me. So annoyed....then when I was pregnant my ob/gyn wanted me to get a flu shot as flu was pretty bad last spring. So I call my primary care office again and the girl gave me such a hard time and seemed annoyed that I wanted to get in sooner than later. I explained I was pregnant and that is why it was somewhat more urgent. This kind of stuff gets under my skin.
29.gif

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think a rude receptionist would keep me from using or seeing a doctor. Honestly, most receptionists I''ve dealt with are kind of cold and seem rushed and a little stressed, but not overly rude or nasty. And I do appreciate it when a receptionist is pleasant, it does help me feel more comfortable about seeing that particular doctor.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think I''d be jumping at the chance to be a patient at an office where I was treated that way. I don''t know that it necessarily reflects on the Dr as in, the Dr.''s not going to be a good one b/c of the front staff, but I think it can be a reflection of the office itself. Or the person was having a crappy day-no excuse I know. It''s hard to be sweetness and light when you''ve got mad patients in the waiting room b/c the Dr is running behind, and you just got off the phone w/someone who ripped you a new one b/c a prescription wasn''t filled. Or as is per usual for me, the front coworker wanders off and you''re up front doing it all by yourself and are harried. I''d just assume it was an off thing and see if it continued-and if it did I''d say something to the Dr and the office manager.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
For me I weigh the projected pain in the buttness of dealing with the receptionists verses the pain in the buttness of finding/getting an appointment at a new dr''s office that may not be any better. I haven''t really changed dr''s because of the receptionists ever I don''t think.

I''ve not had good experiences here...my ob/gyn has a rude receptionist, and I think that leads to INSANE wait times. I would have switched after ds''s birth if I wasn''t going to be moving before my next annual...seriously, I''ve waited up to 4 hours to be seen. They were better with my pp appt. when I had ds with me, but still waited over an hour.

The other issues I''ve had are more of people just not being helpful, being difficult to understand, or being sloppy in things (our pedi. still has my phone number down incorrectly on our file even though I try to tell them the correct one at each appointment).

But no, I don''t think it reflects much on the dr. or level of care you''ll get from them, but if it''s going to push buttons for you, I''d switch.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I won''t stay with a doctor who has a rude receptionist, especially if there''s the potential that I''ll ever be getting some potentially emotional news from that doctor.

If it''s my dentist, no big deal. If it''s my OBGYN, then it''s a problem.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate rude receptionists in general, but especially ones in doctor''s offices. There is one rude one at my GP''s office and I *hate* having to deal with her at all. She barely even permits you to make an appt. at all over the phone too. I don''t know what that''s about--less business for the doc? Ugh!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our office manager happens to be the one nobody wants to deal with-how funny is that!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/12/2010 7:56:29 PM
Author: Porridge
Yup, I have to say I do. Patients deal with receptionists a lot - calling for prescriptions, certs, sensitive issues. So I think politeness, at the very least, is vital.

Also, on the flip side, I can''t stand people who are rude to receptionists and then turn around and are sweet as anything to the boss
29.gif
Yup.

And yup.

One of the first things FFIL does when he''s interviewing a client or a potential new attorney is ask his secretaries and receptionists how they were treated.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Its more important for me to like the doctor/nurses....however, yes, it does reflect poorly on the doctor. Honestly, the doctor should care about his/her patients from the moment they walk in the door. I don''t appreciate anyone who puts rude people into customer service types of positions.

I deal with doctors offices all day long when marketing to physicians. The "gatekeepers" as I call the receptionists, are the ones I need to make friends with in order to get in to see the doctors. I really dislike the ones who get on their high horse and just rudely dismiss me without giving me a chance.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
A rude receptionist doesn''t reflect onto the dr. however, I would say something. I would switch if my dr.''s office had rude nurses though.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I think I''m going to give her another appt. She was rude and condescending but it was late and the dr forgot to mention he made an appt (I called during their lunch hours). So I''m hoping it''s a bad day/bad time.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2010 9:41:40 PM
Author: charbie
I deal with doctors offices all day long when marketing to physicians. The 'gatekeepers' as I call the receptionists, are the ones I need to make friends with in order to get in to see the doctors. I really dislike the ones who get on their high horse and just rudely dismiss me without giving me a chance.
Hah! I was a receptionist for an attorney's office for a year, and I totally thought of myself as a gatekeeper. It was especially fascinating since I was the managing attorney's daughter and no one had any idea of that fact. So sometimes they'd come in, be total jack@$$es to me and then sweet as pie to my dad. Once one of said jack_ _ _es happened to find out that my last name was on the door too, and suddenly I was his best friend.

Honestly, being a receptionist sucks. I got paid better scooping ice cream, I was treated nicer, and I didn't have to spend half of my day sitting on the phone listening to crying/angry/rude people (not to mention death threats). There is no job appreciation except from the people who realize that if they make nice to the person answering the phone, they often get what they want faster and more often. The most rewarding part of my day? Putting the answering service on at 5pm. And when people would call right after I had put it on? I'd laugh and laugh, and leave the office with a smirk on my face.

If you couldn't tell, I hated that job.
38.gif

BUT, I was still always super nice. Especially to new clients, because they were usually the least emotionally stable and often sat in the lobby with me, in tears. Me being rude isn't going to make their situation better. I'd give her another chance. Everyone has bad days.

mtjoya

Brilliant_Rock
Yep! My mom recommended my OB and I called for an appointment. I called and was put on hold by a very nice lady and then I got back on the phone and got this b**tch! She was like, "How can I help you?" I said, "Oh thanks, I have been helped." and she says, "Well I am here to help you now!" Very bitchy voice like trying to make me feel stupid. I was this close to cut that bitch off but I thought, "I am going to try this doc and see what''s up." Well the staff was semi-rude and was only extra sweet to patients that seemed rude and demanding.

I fell in love with my OB. He is the sweetest! I never felt weird or embarrased and he is super cool. He got all my info and even squezzed me in because the appt. that they gave me was 3 weeks later and I was having prob. before hand and wanted to see me. So I guess he alerted his staff and when I went in I was getting these weird looks and attitude. Well needless to say there was this one lady that would treat me different than the others. I was waiting for someone to help and she would completely ignore me! She would give me this weird look. I am like okay wtf.? Anyways, I guess that I would put up with the stares and the attitude because my doc is awesome. My mom would say that they were jealous cuz I am beautiful and polite and even though they would give me attitude I was still nice to them.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
It matters to me. The hospital we go to with DD has reception staff who are part of the department team. They are contributing to the overall ethos and work of the department, they are an important part of the whole package. The cleaning staff are part of the department team too, so the whole place is spotless. The nursing staff are kind, compassionate and talented.

The hopsital in the next town has reception staff who are rude, surly and not engaged with their work environment. They make stressful situations worse. Even though it''s a much longer drive, we use the other hospital. The nursing staff are disaffected, angry at their employment conditions and demotivated. The cleaning staff are agency or minimum wage afterthoughts, and the hospital is dirty.

I personally think that the Dr can be the best in the world, but if they don''t have good support staff at each level, they''re pretty much useless.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock

29.gif

I agree on both counts. I think that politeness is very important in a receptionist.

And it drives me mad when I see people rude to our receptionists in work and then fall all over the vets.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think I''d let a rude receptionist prevent me from seeing a particular doctor, but I''d dread talking to her (or him) when calling to make appts., etc.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/13/2010 4:30:06 AM
Author: bee*

29.gif

I agree on both counts. I think that politeness is very important in a receptionist.

And it drives me mad when I see people rude to our receptionists in work and then fall all over the vets.
Ohhhh, that drives me NUTS!!! I work at a law firm, and the clients have what we call "levels of rudeness." When they talk to the receptionist, they''re usually displaying Rudeness Level 1, which is no-holds-barred, all-out rudeness. When they talk to a paralegal (i.e., me), they''re usually at Rudeness Level 2, which is somewhat nicer than Level 1, but still rather rude. When they talk to an attorney (IF we let them get that far . . . HA!), they''re usually at Rudeness Level 3, which is the least amount of rudeness. This is a running joke in our office . . . if our receptionist talks to someone who is only Level 2 or 3 rude, she''s thrilled!
3.gif

jas

Brilliant_Rock

3.gif
Oh boy does this bring back bad memories...

I worked in one school for 11 years. I was right out of grad school, a young thing with no experience. My parents have always drilled into my head that paraprofessionals, support staff, janitorial staff in any institution are often treated poorly and that I was to always understand and appreciate how hard peple in these positions work and how much they keep a business or a school running.

One of the school secretaries was beyond rude. She wasn't a receptionist, per se, but she was the who parents, teachers, and students all dealt with. She was the gateway to the principal and the gateway to everything else: supplies, requisitions...she knew where it all was, how to get it all done. She was older and had been doing this forever. I had been warned she was a real passive aggressive, horrible person when I first started. The principal even said when I was hired, "A lot of people have problems with her. She has no people skills. But boy! Does she do a great job with everything else."

For my first few months, she was pleasant to me and I back. One day, a parent came in the office and asked for someone in charge who could help them. I pointed them to the secretary. She SCREAMED at me, in front of the parent and in front of several other people in the office, "I AM NOT THE BOSS!" I was mortified. I apologized immediately. She told me to "Be quiet" and helped the parent, who was also embarrassed at this point. I tried immediately to apologize again, figuring I had really insulted her or maybe she thought I was making fun of her. She walked away from me. I waited a day and tried to apologize again, this time privately. She walked away from me as soon as I said, "I would like to apologize for..."

For the next 6 years until she retired, she never spoke with me again. She ignored me if I asked her for something. The other secretaries would take pity on me and try to help without stepping into this secretary's circle of responsibility. I was supply-less. I started asking other teachers to ask for things for me. She told them to tell me to ask for myself. I did and when I approached her desk, she acted like she couldn't hear me or she would get up and walk away.

I was terrified to the point of buying my own supplies.

I was not the only person on staff who received this treatment. There were about 6 or 7 of us.

The principal was aware of this. We tried to speak with him about it a few times. I asked him if he would set up a meeting so I could properly apologize (at that time, I thought I had done something really egregious and still needed to apologize)...he told me I didn't need to. He said that every year in her performance review, the secretary would say, "I know I need to work on my people skills..." and that would be that.

She was lovely to him.

Parents complained about her. Students complained about her. The other secretaries complained...the principal kept wringing his hands saying, "She's a few years from retirement and she's soooo good at everything else....she's like a machine at her job."

So it went on. The day the principal retired, he went up to her at her desk and started to say goodbye. She pretended she couldn't hear him. He kept trying to talk with her, and she stood up and walked away. (NOT sad he was leaving, apparently she'd hated him for years.) Then and only then was he offended.

So the moral of my little tale? Yes, I would definitely move on if treated badly on the phone/in person as you described -- but ONLY if it happened more than once. I have been so blessed in my dealings with receptionists pretty much everywhere else in my life. I am *so* grateful. I actually sent flowers and cookies to the receptionis at my OBGYN "from the babies" because they really did make the journey so lovely..

ETA: Yeah, I see how my story was on the periphery of what you were talking about, but I like to share.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yikes Jas, what a witch!

On the plus side, your obgyn''s office will love you forever for the treats!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Wow Jas what an awful experience!! Makes me appreciate our admin and her 30 daily reminders for meetings that are occuring in 2 weeks!

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/13/2010 2:39:12 PM
Author: packrat
Yikes Jas, what a witch!

On the plus side, your obgyn''s office will love you forever for the treats!
If only they could make the paps more pleasant. :) They are truly wonderful and the calmest people I''ve ever met.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I''d give the doctor''s office one last chance. Everybody has a bad day, and I''d hate to miss out on a good doctor because their receptionist''s kid got in trouble at school/got in a fight with their SO/whatever. I''m all about second chances.

Third chances, not so much...

sugarpie honeybun

Shiny_Rock

YIKES Jas! What a crazy woman!

Fiery- I would mention something to the doctor, since this woman works for them. It’s totally unprofessional for her to treat you this way. In the professional world, the customer (or in your case, patient) always comes first. She is in a customer-service position, essentially, and yet she’s lacking the basic skills necessary to effectively do her job. Maybe the doctor is too busy during the day to notice, or maybe the rest of the patients are too nervous to say something.

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/13/2010 3:05:03 PM
Author: princesss
I''d give the doctor''s office one last chance. Everybody has a bad day, and I''d hate to miss out on a good doctor because their receptionist''s kid got in trouble at school/got in a fight with their SO/whatever. I''m all about second chances.

This. Exactly. Why can''t I make my point so concisely?

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2010 4:02:16 PM
Author: jas

Date: 5/13/2010 3:05:03 PM
Author: princesss

This. Exactly. Why can''t I make my point so concisely?
Psh, I was only able to do it because I was about to be late for a meeting! Being concise is rarely something anybody would accuse me of.
3.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Politeness means a lot to me. I've worked in consumer service type jobs and I was never anything but polite, even when people were rude to me. My last job involved acting like a service person to a lot of manufacturing plants (wasn't the job title, but kind of came with the position) and I was also nothing but polite to them, even when they were ticked off and thought I (and everyone at corporate) was a total idiot.

If being polite isn't that hard for me, I don't see why other people can't do it too. I don't need super friendly, but not rude is important. It can ruin my entire perception of a doctor's office or something if the receptionist is a pain (especially if it's more than once, because then she's not just having a bad day).

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
At the doctor''s office where I go there is one rude receptionist. I can''t stand her. I do not understand how she keeps her job considering she is rude every time I talk to her (I''m sure she must be rude to others as well). I think it reflects badly on the doctors because they keep her around when she obviously has terrible customer service skills. I was honestly told by her once that my medical concern that I was trying to make an appointment for was not serious enough to get me in to see the doctor. Apparently she thinks she has the qualifications to act like a doctor. Unfortunately since it''s a doctors'' office it''s not exactly easy to just find another doctor with an opening so I could switch offices.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results