shape
carat
color
clarity

How hard is it to find a true ideal cut lab diamond?

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
I am looking at buying a super ideal diamonds and out of curiosity I have been having a look at lab diamonds. Im finding it difficult to find any that meet the mark for AGS ideal standards. Is this a common thing with lab cut diamonds or am I just doing a bad job of finding them? I've been using the HCA data base but can only seem to find ones that fit the excellent criteria.

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
Your best bet is to get in @Rhino at distinctivegem.com as he will be able to provide you detailed analysis of what you decide on if you want it from what I understand, not affiliated with him in any manner. But yeah generally there are a set of parameters which you can look up in many threads and find an ideal diamond...only you can decide which route you want to persue.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that you could totally find an ideal from distinctivegem! They have some lovely diamonds, and offer lots of imaging so you can make an informed choice.
I found my diamond using the Rarecarat search engine; the angles are well with AGS ideal and scored a 1.4 on the HCA, further the heart indicates hearts and arrows. I’m not saying it was an easy or quick find, but certainly worth the time to find the right diamond.

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
I just bought an ideal hearts and arrows round that scored a 1.5 on the HCA using rarecarat as well. It took a few weeks of persistent searching. Yadav was the seller. I haven't seen it yet. It was sent directly to Caysie van Bebber for setting. However, she LOVES it. In fact she contacted me for the vendor for another client because she was so impressed with it. It was a few thousand cheaper than most of the usual vendors I was watching. There was about a 2 week stretch that I got frustrated because I couldn't find any ideal diamonds in the size range I was looking at. Then a whole batch seemed to show up. Stick with it! Good luck!!

Ada Diamonds CEO

Rough_Rock
Trade
AGS just started grading lab diamonds again, so there are true AGS 0 diamonds available, but very few retailers offering them.

We were the only retailer to participate in the pilot phase of AGS's program and all of our diamonds submitted to date have gotten AGS 0s:

____

To answer your question at a macro level, cutting man-made diamonds has unique challenges and requires understanding of the crystallographic differences between natural, CVD, treated CVD, and HPHT grown diamonds.

Thus someone that has decades of talent cutting superlative mined diamonds is not going to be able to switch over to lab diamonds and immediately cut triple Ex diamonds.

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
AGS just started grading lab diamonds again, so there are true AGS 0 diamonds available, but very few retailers offering them.

We were the only retailer to participate in the pilot phase of AGS's program and all of our diamonds submitted to date have gotten AGS 0s:

____

To answer your question at a macro level, cutting man-made diamonds has unique challenges and requires understanding of the crystallographic differences between natural, CVD, treated CVD, and HPHT grown diamonds.

Thus someone that has decades of talent cutting superlative mined diamonds is not going to be able to switch over to lab diamonds and immediately cut triple Ex diamonds.

That makes a lot of sense thank you for expertise! And thank you everyone for your input as well! :)

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I went to @Rhino at Distinctive Gems and he was able to source two perfectly matched diamonds for me that meet AGS 0 standards!

So, it was very easy for me since I had someone else do it. :lol:

On RareCarat you can narrow down your search using the angles ranges you are looking for too.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just bought an ideal hearts and arrows round that scored a 1.5 on the HCA using rarecarat as well. It took a few weeks of persistent searching. Yadav was the seller. I haven't seen it yet. It was sent directly to Caysie van Bebber for setting. However, she LOVES it. In fact she contacted me for the vendor for another client because she was so impressed with it. It was a few thousand cheaper than most of the usual vendors I was watching. There was about a 2 week stretch that I got frustrated because I couldn't find any ideal diamonds in the size range I was looking at. Then a whole batch seemed to show up. Stick with it! Good luck!!

:wavey: Very curious about your new project!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does Distinctive Gems cut its own line of super ideal MRBs of MMD? Curious...

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock

I can't see that option on his website. I think he doesn't offer it because there just is a lot of selection for MRBs in the MMD Market.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't see that option on his website. I think he doesn't offer it because there just is a lot of selection for MRBs in the MMD Market.

Thanks. I could not find it either, but not sure I was doing a thorough search.

Interesting because @Ada Diamonds CEO said it wasn't as simple as switching over to cutting super ideal MRBs. If people wanted these, then the additional cost of cutting super ideal MRBs would affect the price.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks. I could not find it either, but not sure I was doing a thorough search.

Interesting because @Ada Diamonds CEO said it wasn't as simple as switching over to cutting super ideal MRBs. If people wanted these, then the additional cost of cutting super ideal MRBs would affect the price.

Yes and he did offer custom cut “super ideal” cut moissanites. So my theory doesn’t make any sense. I’m just waiting for CBI to maybe in 10 years create a budget friendly MMD line for young people like me ;-)

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock

Not yet, my best guess as to why is that Johnathan has been working on creating options for the cuts that are more unique to his business - August Vintage OEC, OMC, Elique (?) oval, antique oval, and antique emerald cut.

When we were unable to get the super ideal Takara diamonds I wanted, it took him less than two weeks to source and find me two perfectly matched MMD in my prefered specs that qualify for AGS 000.

So... they are out there. Exactly how easy it is to find non-branded super ideal cuts is still a bit of a mystery to me, but if he isn't having his own line cut I imagine they are common enough to make producing his own line not worthwhile, especially if most people aren't looking for super ideal cuts.

Better Than Diamond remains the only company I know of that cuts its own brand of super ideal MMD, and there is definitely a premium attached.

Most people I know have been surprised to learn that MMD exist, but as awareness and demand increase I imagine at least a few more companies will start their own lines of super ideal MMD. :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results