shape
carat
color
clarity

How Does this Vintage Semi-Mount Hold the Diamond?

elizabethidella

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend is proposing very soon and I will be receiving an amazing AVR! It's in the process of being purchased but I have stumbled on both a supposedly vintage platinum semi-mount and band separately on eBay and we purchased them both. I love the band and it is off being resized but I just bought the semi-mount today. I thought it was similar to a fishtail prong setting but the more I look at it, I'm not so sure. Can you tell me how it will hold the diamond - with the prong or underneath the squarish edges or some other way and how it will look when set? Also, if you have any thoughts on the era the ring might be from, I would love to learn more about that as well!

_38241.jpg

_38242.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Fishtail is what I'd call that. I think they debuted in the '30s and were popular in through the postwar '40s and into the early '50s.

The diamond rests on top of what you see. The jeweler would add 2 prongs at each corner to hold the stone in.
Reenie%20fishtail%20prings.jpg

elizabethidella

Rough_Rock
I hadn't even considered that there might be two prongs missing on each corner. That definitely worries me.

elizabethidella

Rough_Rock
I just found Sandeek's ring and I"m wondering if this might be what it will be like. Hopefully I'll like it just as well as when I thought it would be set on top of the outer metal pieces.

_38252.jpg

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I've seen fishtail prongs like both images posted. If you have a preference for the look you prefer, see if your jeweler can do that with the setting. Do you have a jeweler/bench who is skilled with setting/vintage jewelry?

elizabethidella

Rough_Rock
I'm not sure which I prefer yet other than I would like the stone to fit closely to the metal area but we'll have to wait and see on that :). I think it will be very pretty once set regardless. I don't know of anyone that local but I do know of an antique jeweler a few hours away. That's a really good thought! Thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results