shape
carat
color
clarity

How does one go about selling pearls?

southpacificsailor

Rough_Rock
I've acquired a substantial black pearl collection while sailing in the Pacific. Now that I'm home in Vancouver I'd like to sell most of them, including a strand appraised at $18000 and a single loose pearl appraised at $3500. I'm not soliciting them here I just have no idea where to even start. Consignment? Craigslist? I will have them appraised again locally but what do I do after that? I have been told 1/3 of the appraised value is usually in the ballpark of the selling price but where to I sell. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance

PearlsOfJoy

Rough_Rock
Trade
Unfortunately, its going to very hard to get market value for your pearls. Since you are not a retailer, basically the pearls will be viewed as "used" and won't command full retail prices.. You can try ebay or a local consignment store but given the high value of the items its not going to be easy.

I'm contacted at least once a week by someone trying to sell pearls, either old jewelry they have or situations similar to yours. Many of them report having a tough time selling their items.

Its not impossible but you'll need to be patient.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results