Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

How does one go about selling pearls?

southpacificsailor

Rough_Rock
I've acquired a substantial black pearl collection while sailing in the Pacific. Now that I'm home in Vancouver I'd like to sell most of them, including a strand appraised at $18000 and a single loose pearl appraised at $3500. I'm not soliciting them here I just have no idea where to even start. Consignment? Craigslist? I will have them appraised again locally but what do I do after that? I have been told 1/3 of the appraised value is usually in the ballpark of the selling price but where to I sell. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance

PearlsOfJoy

Rough_Rock
Trade
Unfortunately, its going to very hard to get market value for your pearls. Since you are not a retailer, basically the pearls will be viewed as "used" and won't command full retail prices.. You can try ebay or a local consignment store but given the high value of the items its not going to be easy.

I'm contacted at least once a week by someone trying to sell pearls, either old jewelry they have or situations similar to yours. Many of them report having a tough time selling their items.

Its not impossible but you'll need to be patient.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Diamond Station Tennis Bracelet
    Diamond Station Tennis Bracelet
    What is PriceScope?
    What is PriceScope?
    What is Diamond Color?
    What is Diamond Color?

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.