shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you thinking about my Sphene, I had bought from thai ebay seller

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

manalert

Rough_Rock
I had bought this item from thai seller but don''t have idea to setting it to jewelly.
Plz give me some idea to setting it. I love sphene too much because his sparkling is very stunning!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320436230625
Thanks
1.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/19/2009 10:36:59 PM
Author:manalert
I had bought this item from thai seller but don''t have idea to setting it to jewelly.
Plz give me some idea to setting it. I love sphene too much because his sparkling is very stunning!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320436230625
Thanks
1.gif
Wow, what a huge stone. Lovely piece. If you do set it, I would do a pendant since it''s large and rather soft. Be very very careful who sets it. Do not give it to "Mr. Regular Jeweler who only knows how to set diamonds." I would try to find someone that knows how to set soft colored gems.

manalert

Rough_Rock
Oh! Thank you for your very fast reply!!

Yes, This seller he tell me for becareful when I get it to jewelly setting because it''s too soft and easy to break.
So it''s very hardly for me to found best jeweller to set it
1.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I don''t know much about sphenes, and congratulations on such a good buy, but you know, if I were you, I''d get it appraised in the US. I noticed that your seller, colorgemstore, is now selling a 2.6 ct Russian demantoid for 999 dollars - it is a very low price for a quality, unheated Russian demantoid. I wonder what other PS-ers would say. I''d send it to GIA. In fact, considering the money you paid for it, getting an appraisal is very important.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/19/2009 11:03:32 PM
Author: crasru
Sorry, I don't know much about sphenes, and congratulations on such a good buy, but you know, if I were you, I'd get it appraised in the US. I noticed that your seller, colorgemstore, is now selling a 2.6 ct Russian demantoid for 999 dollars - it is a very low price for a quality, unheated Russian demantoid. I wonder what other PS-ers would say. I'd send it to GIA. In fact, considering the money you paid for it, getting an appraisal is very important.
YAG garnet is often a simulant for sphene, but this appears to be a real one since it has double refraction on the facets. YAG's are singly refractive. I can clearly see this in the video. As for Russian demantoids on ebay, it's pretty much a joke. There are varying qualities, and some try to pass off Namibian, Iranian and Afghani material as Russian. I think the Iranian material also contains horsetails, so it automatically becomes "Russian" on ebay. For demantoids, it's important to get an origin report with a high priced Russian stone. It's common on ebay to swith origin on demantoids. Many demantoids shift color to an olive or brownish cast, and this also detracts from their value, even if they're Russian. The most valuable stones are a chrome green that hold their color in any lighting, and are of Russian origin (old mine). The newer demantoid mines aren't producing as fine stones from what I hear/read.

With sphene, origin, to my knowledge, does not really play any part in it's price, so whether your stone came from Russia or not, shouldn't affect it's value. It is important to have good clarity and dispersion with sphene.

ETA: Please post pictures of your sphene when you get it. I would love to see them. The cutting and sparkle are quite impressive, as well as the size.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''d definately suggest getting it checked, just to make sure it''s really a sphene. Eventhough there are not many materials that could be passed off as sphenes, there are coating techniques and other things that could be do to make a stone look like a sphene. Also, make sure quality/color/clarity is the same as in these photos and videos - Ebay sellers often make those seem better than what you get to see for real.

Otherwise, it''s a very nice stone that could be made into a really nice piece of jewellery.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would echo everybody else and get this checked over by somebody who can actually put the gemstone through testing. The only reason I would suggest it is that you''ve paid a lot of money for it so should be sure you''ve got what you''ve paid for. In all honesty it does look like a Sphene and has a typical colouration of one. HOWEVER, I don''t know how they do it but some Ebay Sellers manage to "doctor" their videos to make a gemstone appear more colourful etc.

Sphene is a very soft stone so again, as everybody else has said, it must be set by an expert setter who understands how to handle soft coloured gemstones.

With the depth of your stone, if you make a ring, it''ll be the size of a planet and so a pendant is probably the right way to go BUT because of the depth you have to consider the setting carefully because a gemstone of that size will swing and flip unless it''s held in place by a solid (non flipping) pendant basket. Perhaps consider an east/west setting with a jump ring at each edge at the top to hold it in place?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Huge and nice dispersion. It appears to have characteristics of sphene and likely to be real. However, for $1500, it''s not chump change so I recommend getting it checked out to be sure it''s as advertised.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It appears to be certfied on the ebay page by Burapha. I actually think ebay is a great place to buy sphene. Just make sure it's a reputable seller with good feedback, including that on toolhaus.org, and you know that it's not a YAG, which this does not appear to be via the double refraction.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
The Burapha certificate displayed on the eBay page is for a 5.89 ct sphene. The OP said he bought a 12.36 ct stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks MC, I didn''t see the details. He does allow you to certify it through him as an option. It appears the Burapha is there just as an example.

Thanks again for pointing that out.

manalert

Rough_Rock
Yes, this is sample of this burapha certificate for his other stone.
When I bought this item he offered me for free burapha certificate include free shipping.
It''s my first time for me to bought expensive stone at this seller, I read his feedback it''s quite good for my first investment.

By the way..I had a veryyyy bad experince from other seller on eBay he listing natural Tanzanite but when I tested it is a poor iolite, the seller dont answer my email and refuse to return my money
emsad.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone!

I suggest setting it in a brooch (pin). It will stay put, stay safe, and make a dramatic statement.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like everyone else said, play it safe and have it checked especially for the price paid.

When received, I''d love to see pictures of it. Setting that thing is going to be something else because its very soft and at bigger sizes they can more brittle, just FYI.

Please have a care and make sure its set by someone who''s has worked with softer stones before. The person setting it may need to actually see the stone as well as the setting, and for a stone this soft, they could charge more than a usual setting fee. These stones should never be bezeled and anyone that makes that suggestion, run.

Of this size, I would suggest pendant or broach to keep it out of harms way. Were it a smaller size, like 4 carats or less, then on the hand would be doable as long as the wearer was careful.

-A

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, what a stone! I hope everything checks out for you and look forward to seeing pictures when you get it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results