shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you Say Sweetheart in Other Languages?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
French- Ma Cherie or Mon Cher (Ma if a boy says it to a girl, mon if a girl says it to a boy)

Arabic- Habibi

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, I hit the post button too soon!

Here is our new kitty and we pick her up on Thursday. I''d love to find a special name for her.

Lori

NEWKITTY.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In Hindi, jaan or janu is what is equivalent to "sweetheart," but it means life-force, so your jaan is your life.

Thomperchik

Shiny_Rock
Not quite sure there''s a particular word in Spanish, but these come close...

Amor
Querida/Querido

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I believe one of the Swedish words for "sweet" is Karamell. That could be a really cute name!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Caro" or "cara" (depending on whether the beloved one is male or female) in Italian. One can always make the word stronger by adding an ending, too, of course. Try "carissimo" or "carissima" if you like. They mean "dearest one".

Deborah
34.gif

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
More in Spanish: "mi vida" means "my life," "mi cielo" means "my heaven," "mi dulce" means "my sweet."

Ukrainian: the word my family often uses as a term of endearment is "kitzya" (KEET-tsya), which actually means "kitten." That word is feminine. Another version is "kotik" (KAW-tick), which is another diminuitive of the word for cat, but in a male version. "Solotke" means sweet.

Italian: "tesorino/tesorina" means "little treasure," "dolcezza" means "sweetness," "piccolo/piccola" means "little one."

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I''m filipina and the official language there is tagalog.

We usually say mahal ko, I think, which means "my love".

If I think of anything else, I will add to this thread.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
YAY....thank you SO much....it will be hard to choose.....she''s a young kitty and her current name is SPOT!
8.gif

Lori

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In Dutch: liefje, pronounced "leefya." (think "leaf" plus the "ya" from "dubbya")

The Dutch seem to love to paste words together to come up with new versions. My Uncle calls his sweetheart "liefling" which kinda translates to "little sweetheart" or "little darling," even though would sound like "sweetheart thing" to the uninitiated.
2.gif

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
in Greek I think it''s kamarimou (spelled phonetically of course!)

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2008 8:29:24 PM
Author: Thomperchik

Amor
Querida/Querido
There''s also Cariño

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2008 9:08:28 AM
Author: fieryred33143

Date: 11/3/2008 8:29:24 PM
Author: Thomperchik

Amor
Querida/Querido
There''s also Cariño
There''s also Corazón. Translates literally to "heart," but it means "my heart" or "sweetheart" when used as a term of endearment.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
In Irish you can say "mo grá" pronounced muh graw, which means my love.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
In French there''s petit chou (pronounced ''shoe'') which literally means little cauliflower, but it''s a term of endearment...and it''s funny to English speakers.
1.gif

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
In Turkish, seviglim is "my love." You can also say hayatim ("my life"), gulum ("my rose" and the u''s should have two dots over each of them, but I can''t figure out how to do that here), and guzellim ("my sweet/my pretty" and same thing for the u). There are dozens more, but these are most popular!

lisamarie84

Shiny_Rock
Korean: yeobo (darling/honey/sweetheart)
1.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have the welsh word ''Cariad'' engraved inside my wedding ring. It means sweetheart or darling
1.gif

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Awesome.....there are so many wonderful words to choose from....we pick her up tomorrow! THANK YOU!
36.gif

Lori

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
In Mandarin, ''xiao tian tian'' (little sweet).

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Similar to kittybean''s post ... in Russian, kotya means kitten, solnushka means sunshine, both are affectionate diminutives (which my dad still uses for me ... I imagine these were highly appropriate when I was a golden-haired tot, but they''re a little incongruous now, and they were DEFINITELY jarring when I was going through my Goth phase). The closest thing to sweetheart proper would probably be sladaste, sweetness.

Post pics of the kitty when you get her!

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/5/2008 12:35:48 PM
Author: Harriet
In Mandarin, 'xiao tian tian' (little sweet).
In Taiwanese Mandarin, sweetheart = "tien sing"

In Vietnamese, calling a girl 'sweetheart' = 'Em", calling a guy 'sweetheart' is "Anh"

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Like Tuckins1 said, ma chérie/mon chéri is used in French and means "my darling".

sunnyd - "chou" actually means cabbage, but it''s not any less weirder! lol My mom used to call my brother "chou-fleur" (cauliflower).
28.gif

pixie1216

Rough_Rock
i think shotsie (shot-see), (sp?) is sweetheart in german. i new a lady that named her dog shotsie, and she told me it meant sweetheart in german.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
In Hebrew the closest I figure is Hamudah or Chamudah, when you walk by a construction site it sounds more like Hamoooooodahhhhh...

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm, well there''s "kote" which means "kitten" in Bulgarian. Then there''s "millo" or for female "milla" (like Milla Jovovich
1.gif
) which means "honey" or "darling" and is prolly the most popular endearment between two lovers here in Bulgaria. I also like the really old fashioned one "libe" (pronounced the way you read it l-i-b-e) which meant "lover" a long, long time ago.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2008 7:43:04 PM
Author: loriken214
Sorry, I hit the post button too soon!

Here is our new kitty and we pick her up on Thursday. I''d love to find a special name for her.

Lori
How do you say MONSTER in other languages.....LOL! This kitty turned out to be a monster once we got her home...she attacked our two dogs and our other cat. She bit my DH and me and, after two weeks of this, we returned her to the no kill shelter we adopted her from. She has "issues" with aggression and wanting to be the alpha. She took over the whole house and was biting the hands that fed her. It was awful! We tried separation and the Feliway plug in thing and nothing worked....the shelter manager had no idea this cat was this way.

We are remaining a one cat, two dog household and we will set up the aquarium that has been in the trunk of my car!

Thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions for her new name!

Lori

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Also in Mandarin, "Tian Xin" = Sweetheart!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results