shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you price your items for resale? % of what you paid, or...?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I try to post for 30-40% off, unless I got a screamin’ good deal - then I try to recoup most of what I paid.

How about you?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I have to be honest - there’s no real rhyme or reason as to how I do things because I’m pretty impulsive. Sometimes I’ll look at comps (usually for diamonds) and price below that, sometimes I’ll price at what I paid, sometimes I’ll price at a % below what I paid (no fixed %)... Depends on the mood.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
50% off retail, or more if it has wear. Unless I bought preloved and then it depends on the amount of damage I inflicted. Some of my earlier sales were terrible deals because I bought things at overinflated prices. But now that I am more informed I have a better feel for what's 'fair'. But I've never listed above what I paid as I just feel a bit uncomfortable doing that as it's a hobby, not a profession.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I managed to get 50% for what I paid at best, 20% at worst, based on personal experiences.

Jewellery has not been good to me as investment for certain!

DK :))

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like thinking of the money “lost” as my rental fee lol.

Isn’t it odd that despite all the losses, we still keep acquiring? Lol. Like. We don’t learn that we don’t have to own every piece out there that makes our hearts flutter! Only to realize down the road that we found an even better one and Should sell one to find the other. At least for me, that is the case. I need to develop a rubric for jewelry shopping—to control my impulsive purchases just bc they are a great deal.
Now, I will say that 25 percent of the time, I lose up to 30 percent of my cost—so I guess that I list at 70 percent of price paid as my extreme. But, 70 percent of the time I have made all my money back and then some. So it’s hard to walk away from deals.
eta: except for my settings which I mostly buy retail—those I’ve listed at 60 percent original price

Last edited:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn’t it odd that despite all the losses, we still keep acquiring? Lol. Like. We don’t learn that we don’t have to own every piece out there that makes our hearts flutter! Only to realize down the road that we found an even better one and Should sell one to find the other. At least for me, that is the case. I need to develop a rubric for jewelry shopping—to control my impulsive purchases just bc they are a great deal.
Now, I will say that 25 percent of the time, I lose up to 30 percent of my cost—so I guess that I list at 70 percent of price paid as my extreme. But, 70 percent of the time I have made all my money back and then some. So it’s hard to walk away from deals.

I hear ya. Rubric would be good!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never posted things for sale because I needed the money (whether it be for a project or something else)...usually it is because I am forcing myself over guilt from having/spending too much.

I seldom take what I paid into account as my collection is a combination of preloved deals, vendor discounts and retail. I typically price things based on what it's worth to me at that point taking what I think it's fair preloved value is into consideration...if it sells fine, if it doesn't then it wasn't meant to be.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never posted things for sale because I needed the money (whether it be for a project or something else)...usually it is because I am forcing myself over guilt from having/spending too much.

I seldom take what I paid into account as my collection is a combination of preloved deals, vendor discounts and retail. I typically price things based on what it's worth to me at that point taking what I think it's fair preloved value is into consideration...if it sells fine, if it doesn't then it wasn't meant to be.

I like your perspective

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Ah, I don't know. Probably at least a third off what I paid and more often half off or more.

It surprises me when I see secondhand jewelry listed at, like, three pennies less than what the original purchaser paid lol.

When I clear stuff out, whether jewelry or anything else, I want to get rid of it, not mess around with it for months. And I have found that people usually don't bite unless you offer them a really good deal.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't own any new jewellery, have purchased it all such a long time ago, and don't sell things often.

Last thing I sold was a vintage band I bought on eBay. I had it for about 5 years and got nearly double for it on eBay. I broke even on a pair of earrings. I had a small loss on the diamond ring I didn't take apart to make earrings. Roughly broke even over those 3 things and I think that's all I've sold.

It would really depend what it's worth now rather than what I paid. There's not really a rule with this kinda thing. I'd never expect to get full price if I paid retail, but I don't own any new jewellery, I don't have the budget for it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It surprises me when I see secondhand jewelry listed at, like, three pennies less than what the original purchaser paid lol.

Same.
I try to post for 30-40% off, unless I got a screamin’ good deal - then I try to recoup most of what I paid.

How about you?

This is a good question. And also as it applies to newly made "old cut" items. Which are different from true antiques in that they are not in limited supply as true antiques are.

I don't check out preloved every day and it has been a while and I just saw a lovely item listed but IMO the price is at least what it would have cost new. Maybe I am wrong but I had reached out to said vendor a few months ago for a quote and the item that was listed last night is, IMO, at least that quoted price new.

Perhaps she paid more for it than the quoted price I received just a few months ago but I would be surprised if there is any discount to this preloved item. I am not going to call out the specific item but just wanted to hear others thoughts about it. And perhaps she doesn't really want to sell it? That is my first thought when I see an item priced at what I think is near or at the original purchase price.

I have only sold one item ever and that was my OEC ER and it was to a good friend so I felt very happy to discount it accordingly especially because 1. it enabled me to purchase Bubbalah and 2. it was going to a good friend so for me it was a huge win and for my friend too as she enjoyed a nice discount and got a gorgeous ring. I couldn't have been more pleased with how it all went down.

But, if I were going to list/sell a preloved item, I would list it at least at a 25-30% discount to the price I originally paid depending on the item of course. There is no one size fits all but as a general rule that is how I would do it. If a PSer can get an item newly made for the same price as someone is listing it I do not see an advantage to buying the item preloved. Especially when we are discussing newly made items (including newly made to look old cut) vs true antiques.

Curious to hear others thoughts. I mean newly made "old cut" diamonds are not rare in the sense that one could commission it to be made. Therefore, if there is no discount on the price when a newly cut "old cut" preloved item is being sold on loupe troop the only advantage is getting it sooner as I see it. However, is that worth paying a huge premium when you can just get the vendor to make one that is new for you? And then that piece that is made for you also comes with whatever policies are in effect that will protect you and the purchase and if there is an upgrade policy in effect etc.

I like thinking of the money “lost” as my rental fee lol.

Haha yes, this is a good way to look at it and feel better about taking a bit of a loss.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy if I see something priced high, I assume the seller wants me to make an offer ;-)

Or that they’re crazy and not motivated to sell lol.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy if I see something priced high, I assume the seller wants me to make an offer ;-)

Or that they’re crazy and not motivated to sell lol.

Yes, either she doesn't want to sell it or she is very optimistic about what she can get for it. I didn't even think of the make an offer option but yes perhaps that is it as well.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe I am wrong but I had reached out to said vendor a few months ago for a quote and the item that was listed last night is, IMO, at least that quoted price new.

Perhaps she paid more for it than the quoted price I received just a few months ago but I would be surprised if there is any discount to this preloved item. I am not going to call out the specific item but just wanted to hear others thoughts about it. And perhaps she doesn't really want to sell it? That is my first thought when I see an item priced at what I think is near or at the original purchase price.

But, if I were going to list/sell a preloved item, I would list it at least at a 25-30% discount to the price I originally paid depending on the item of course. There is no one size fits all but as a general rule that is how I would do it.

I am always on the lookout for preloved pieces that are at least 30% less than what the original price would be.

Sometimes we have an emotional attachment to jewellery similar to that of our house and think it's worth more than what it is. Maybe they're searching for an uniformed consumer?

Most people I would assume would not pay for something preloved if they could get a brand new item at the same price as a new piece would have warranties etc.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am always on the lookout for preloved pieces that are at least 30% what the original price would be.

Sometimes we have an emotional attachment to jewellery similar to that of our house and think it's worth more than what it is. Maybe they're searching for an uniformed consumer?

Most people I would assume would not pay for something preloved if they could get a brand new item at the same price as a new piece would have warranties etc.

Maybe she is searching for an uniformed customer as I do not think it is listed on preloved here. So that would explain that. It is completely here prerogative to list her item for whatever price she wants to of course.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe she is searching for an uniformed customer as I do not think it is listed on preloved here. So that would explain that. It is completely here prerogative to list her item for whatever price she wants to of course.

I only see two scenarios here, either she doesn't want to sell it or doesn't want to lose any money on it. I think this forum is the wrong market as we're all prosumers that have a great interest in jewellery. We don't know if she's listed it elsewhere though so she might find that buyer.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I don't think I would automatically price based on a discount below what I have paid for it, especially if it's many years since I had it made. Of course I agree that it wouldn't make sense for anyone to buy preloved when they could get it made me for the same price, but a certain portion of of what I collect has gone up in value since I bought it, whether wholesale or retail. Unheated rubies and paraiba, Mahenge spinel, gold etc all cost more over time, so if I let it go for 100% of what I paid for it that might still be well below market value. $125 in gold from the 90s, is worth a lot more than $125 these days. $125 from the 50s is worth even more. I'd probably do the same as @lilmosun and price mine below comps, if I wanted to sell.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think I would automatically price based on a discount below what I have paid for it, especially if it's many years since I had it made. Of course I agree that it wouldn't make sense for anyone to buy preloved when they could get it made me for the same price, but a certain portion of of what I collect has gone up in value since I bought it, whether wholesale or retail. Unheated rubies and paraiba, Mahenge spinel, gold etc all cost more over time, so if I let it go for 100% of what I paid for it that might still be well below market value. $125 in gold from the 90s, is worth a lot more than $125 these days. $125 from the 50s is worth even more. I'd probably do the same as @lilmosun and price mine below comps, if I wanted to sell.

Your entire collection is breathtaking @voce and if you ever list anything I would be very interested. :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results