shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you maintain your beauty?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, all that sunbathing on the banks of the Nile has not aged you one bit! You don't look a day over 2800!

Oh Stop! :naughty:

SEE how you are!
I'll bet you say that to all us mummies, you grave robber you.

Now, give me back my gold mask.

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I maintain my beauty not by creams
and treatments (more power to those that do I'm just lazy) but by surrounding myself with wonderful company, trying not to let negativity in and being a good person.

I am overweight but I am a better person than I used to be. Also lots of sleep and not sitting out in the sun probably helps a bit as well as a good sense of humor.

Here is me today, I will be 41 in eleven days! Oh and I am the one in the glasses!

IMG_5417.jpeg

You are gorgeous, Stephanie!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an interesting thread this has been, love reading everyones perspectives on aging, beauty and all those things. :wavey:

For myself, I'm just 'me'. I feel pretty comfortable in my own skin right now, although as a young person, perhaps not as much as I do today. As someone said above, 'age has its benefits', I wholeheartedly agree.

I haven't had any plastic surgery, or fillers--I've tried Botox, also have that 'one' wrinkle between my brows (yuk) but decided I didn't really want to go down that path, so I stopped. If I really needed plastic surgery for something significant, I definitely would get it. I also practice regular skin care with moisturizers, sun screen etc., always.

I like to wear (minimal) make up, but will easily run out for the day without it. I've gone through the highlighting phase, but I missed 'my' hair color. And now, at 61, I am getting grey--my hair is a reddish brunette with a copper highlight, now with some whites sprinkled in. I've decided to just let it turn on its own, as my father had gorgeous silver hair & I hope--if I am so blessed--to get the same eventually. I always have a pedicure. I didn't like what happened to my finger nail bed with the gel products, so I stopped doing that & just go natural, but always filed & neat.

I do exercise & always have, swimming my half mile a couple times of week & work out with a trainer another couple of times a week--she is my salvation. That, plus eating well, & getting adequate sleep is my recipe. Oh, & I will have a drink once in a while, when the mood hits!

Bravo to those of you brave enough to post your pic--I'm just a bit anxious about putting my full face online! So here's a pic of mostly Jack, & a bit of myself in the background. :))
IMG_3565 2.jpeg

I wholeheartedly believe true beauty comes from within and you have it all @sarahb. Truly. ❤

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
youth-has-no-age-3840x2160-109.jpeg

and

beautifulface.jpg

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok yall, I can't believe I am showing this. This is a B&A after 1 treatment. I am having a series of 4. Today is #2. I am numbing right now! The texture of my skin has really improved. The under eye crepe is getting better. I am pleased. Sorry my brow got cropped in the before pic. CollageMaker_20200205_100215894.jpg

What laser is your doctor using? These are fantastic results after one treatment!!

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is so fascinating and I feel like a slacker now! I’m 46 and allergic to eye makeup so I cover up my red nose with with cruelty free all natural powder and that’s about it. I like full eyebrows and have always worn them that way. Thankfully they’re naturally shaped okay and only when I was younger and had a few more stray hairs did I have to do anything with them. I was blessed with a good head of hair that was a curse when I was a kid but is a blessing now. I do moisturize every day. No drinking ever, no smoking ever, and lots of sleep. I work a lot but I like to have a purpose. I exercise a bit about 5 days a week. When I was younger, I was a hard core runner and in killer shape but I’m about 10 lbs from that now. I’m well within a healthy BMI but am working to get about 5 lbs off. I’m starting to get some gray hair and I say “bring it on!” I’m not trying to look young; I think there is such elegance iaging gracefully. I wouldn’t do any cosmetic procedures because they’re not right for me, but more power to others who do! Thankfully, my husband much prefers the natural look - works out for me!

I am very comfortable in my own skin and I think that’s such a blessing. It came from my dad encouraging my natural look when I was younger whenever I’d say that the other girls who were more made up and stylish were somehow better than me. He let me know unequivocally that that wasn’t true and that I could be any version of me that I wanted. My mom was vain and somewhat baffled by the fact that I wasn’t a glamour girl so I really needed that message.

I joke that I wish blond hair dye was out of stock for 6 months so that the playing field for women could be leveled a bit!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What laser is your doctor using? These are fantastic results after one treatment!!

Thanks housecat! I am pleased so far. The laser is called Resurfx. It's a non ablative fractional laser. I had my 2nd treatment Wednesday. I looked pretty beat up yesterday, red and swollen but it looks much better this morning. If you get it, make sure the topical numbing is left on long enough to fully work. The lidocaine was left on for 30 minutes for my 1st session and it was uncomfortable (to put it mildly). For the 2nd session, she left it for 45 minutes and I was pain free even though she went deeper.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
There's no beauty to speak of to maintain here!

But lots of interesting responses!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks housecat! I am pleased so far. The laser is called Resurfx. It's a non ablative fractional laser. I had my 2nd treatment Wednesday. I looked pretty beat up yesterday, red and swollen but it looks much better this morning. If you get it, make sure the topical numbing is left on long enough to fully work. The lidocaine was left on for 30 minutes for my 1st session and it was uncomfortable (to put it mildly). For the 2nd session, she left it for 45 minutes and I was pain free even though she went deeper.

Thank you for the information! I have some dark spots after the pregnancies. After the first pregnancies they faded eventually. But now there's one zone where I have the feeling it's not going away naturally...
Wait and see..and if I can't get rid of the spots naturally I might try resurfx

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks Gussie! I’m going to look into it. I’m sorry they didn’t leave the cream on long enough. I’ve had IPL laser surgery done in the past. I know how painful it can be...sort of. They didn’t use a numbing cream, which means it must not have been a very painful laser but it really hurt!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Thank you @Niffler75!
And you are amazing. I know about Ehlers Danlos and you are handling it all amazingly well.

OK I deleted my previous post but will add it back. I got embarrassed by sharing (I know it seems hard to believe but I am shy) but decided I will share.

Thanks to this thread I am looking at photos over the decades. When I look at these photos I see major aging changes. I am not fighting it per se (because I do work out and eat healthfully so that is doing something) and I wholly and fully support all women who do whatever makes them feel good. More power to you re fillers and botox and hair dye etc. Maybe one day I will change my mind who knows. I mainly stay away from that stuff because my skin is super reactive and I don't want to rock the boat and another reason is none of the women in my family ever did any of those procedures so it's how I grew up.

But OMG looking at the photos and well yeah so many changes.
I agree with those who say keep a little weight on your body because it gets taken away from your face if you are too thin. I have definitely lost volume in my face. That is something I doubt I can get back though I am trying to gain some weight as I am underweight right now.

Sharing these real life not edited photos.

Preadolescent
Haha had to include a "young" photo.

misssypreadolescent.png

Teens

missyteen.jpg

Oscarandme.jpeg

Twenties

1985 in Italy. My parents flew over to join me as I had spent the entire summer between college and graduate school in Europe and they came to meet me at the end of my trip. Look how young my mom was here. Me too. Time flies.

missyandmomexchanginggiftsinitaly.png

missyandbuster.jpg.png

Thirties (had makeup on here...couldn't find a no makeup shot)

missythirties.png

Forties (not adding the best photos but adding the "real" me photos. Hard to find photos of me without my sunglasses.

missyforties.png

Fifties

missyfifties.png

Yesterday afternoon with my dorky glasses and after we walked in the rain so my hair is a wreck. But my most recent photo.

Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 8.18.32 AM.png

And lastly a photo from this past Spring where I had some makeup on and we were all dressed up going to a gala at the Museum of Natural History.

missyandgregalldressedupspring2019.png

And for comparison's sake a photo of us over 21 years ago.

missyandgregnewyearseve2000.jpeg

I am 54 and 6 months. Halfway to 109 years old woohoo. :lol:

And aging as its benefits for sure. I wouldn't want to turn back the clock and start again. I am happy where I am in life and I am content and at peace. Yes, my skin isn't youthful as it once was and I have lines on my face and my hair has thinned considerably and there is much gray. But I have a sense of perspective and joy that comes with age. I can say that I am happy exactly where I am in life right now. Despite all the external noise (and that is life) I have contentment and joy and would not trade this age for any other.

To me, the best way one can maintain one's "beauty" is by being content and satisfied with where one is in life while working towards whatever goals one has. And being kind to others. Trying to make the world a little better just by being in it. True beauty starts from within. I know it's cliche but some cliches have much truth.

You are beautiful at every age Missy!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I maintain my beauty not by creams
and treatments (more power to those that do I'm just lazy) but by surrounding myself with wonderful company, trying not to let negativity in and being a good person.

I am overweight but I am a better person than I used to be. Also lots of sleep and not sitting out in the sun probably helps a bit as well as a good sense of humor.

Here is me today, I will be 41 in eleven days! Oh and I am the one in the glasses!

IMG_5417.jpeg

You are beautiful @StephanieLynn and I think your beauty regime is right on target - good friends, good frame of mind, sleep and humor are natural beauty enhancers!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Well, I'm 59 - 60 in 4 months, so I am in HEAVY maintenance mode!!

Having been so ill last year, it's been an uphill battle to stay looking half way decent. So here's my normal routine:

Color hair
Regular pedicures and manicures
Color my eyelashes - tho I haven't done this for a few months and it needs to be done
Sunscreen on my hands
Skin care up the wazoo
Vitamins
Don't smoke
Drink very little
Trying to get more sleep and doing well on this
No sugar - sugar is brutal for my skin
I stay out of the sun in general
I do a little exercise every day - yoga, tai chi, cardio - one or a combination
Have positive relationships
Cuddle my dogs a lot
IP facials - tho I'm due for this and haven't had any for a while
And I drink water - around 100 ml a day

These photos are within the last 12 months - the second one taken only a few months ago. The last one - which shows three photos - was compiled in December. The photo on the left of that threesome was me in December at 59.5 years of age in the harshest lighting imaginable, but there you go. The one in the middle was me at 52, I think, and the one on the right was me at 46. I've lost weight as I've gotten older, for which I'm thankful! No filters on any of these and no makeup either. I'm pleased enough with the way I'm aging. Youth and beauty have passed, but good grooming is eternal. My best / luckiest feature is that I have naturally red lips. For a woman who shuns makeup pretty much 100%, this is a blessing!

image1.jpeg

21-10-2019-13-35-39.jpg

Dorian Koo.jpeg

Beautiful @mrs-b agree with Missy timeless elegance for sure!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!
(inside and out).

@Austina I wish I could remember who you remind me of...maybe an actress. My brain is a sieve I swear. Anyway you remind me of someone but I just cannot remember who. If it ever comes to me I will let you know.

You are gorgeous @Austina agree with Missy inside and out.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I use a line called Isomers for the past 23 years. That's right, 23 years. They are a lab in Toronto {and I am embarrassed to admit it I sometimes get it from SHOPHQ in the states.

I use their cleanser {they have several,according to your issues} eye serum, which amazingly you can put right on your eye! They have different regimens for different issues and stand behind every one of their products. Francesca will be able to help you get the right products for your particular concern. You can reach them at www.isomers.ca, 416-787-2465 and dial 1, or [email protected].

ps I am NOT a shill for them, just an extremely happy customer.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Invite narratives from all folks.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beauty for me is just feeling good in my own skin! Generally that means not looking "tired". I have always had slightly sunken in under eyes and dark circles. As I'm getting older (34) they're getting worse, no matter how much sleep I get. I also never had acne/pimples until AFTER having my son so that is something I actively "deal with" now.

1. I drink a lot of water, I aim for half of my body weight plus extra when I work out.

2. I have been actively working out but not enough for years, I recently got a Peloton! Now it's everyday and I LOVE it!

3. Hair: My hair is cut short, I do not heat style or color, I go with the natural wave/gray on this one. I like my hair as it is. IF I want to add some color I'll use a gloss in the shower, DPH HUE. No smell. In the summer I go a bit nuts and usually do a purple gloss, in the sun it looks awesome.

4. Skin care, my true love. I am a firm believer in chemical exfoliants, vitamin C, retinol, and physical sunscreen DAILY. I also steam (at home facial basically) 2-3x weekly, do my own extractions, and really just pay attention to how my skin feels and what it needs on a daily basis.

5. Make-up. On the daily I often wear none. When I do I make most of my magic with powders since I don't like to cake my skin. First I do a setting powder just to knock out any shine (Givenchy Prism Libre) then I use a powder foundation only where I need it (MAC Studio Fix) then NARS blush (not the metallic ones, just matte), then some Laura Mercier Candlight Powder, then brow gel, mascara, and lip color of choice. I finish with setting spray (necessary for powders) and call it a day. It takes maybe 10 minutes.

6. Injections: I've had botox on my crows feet once. I did not do a lot, I liked it. I want to do it again with under eye filler for those deep circles. I'm currently saving up for it :)

Ol-Blue

Shiny_Rock
One thing I do outside of makeup, skincare etc is Botox right between my eyes. It’s not a beauty thing for me, it’s just I feel I look angry all the time! Like I’m scowling, and I’m a pretty happy person! Lol so a little Botox helps relax that a bit and it makes me less self conscious about it, even though I’m sure no one notices but me!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For us oldsters (i'll be 70 in 3 years) all this work to make one look beautiful to oneself, in presenting oneself. I am thrilled I grew up in the 60s.... very little makeup except for lotsa mascara (which made my eyes itch terribly and green eye shadow that some guy said to me that I looked like Brenda Starr, no thanks on that stuff after that).. I think it's personal to the woman and how they want to present themselves to their friends, family etc. Me? I thought I had natural beauty (of course my mother told me that and she was a huge liar at times ;-) ) beauty equates POWER, that's it in my book, power.. a woman has a lot of power when she's gorgeous, semi gorgeous, or good :) looking, people treat you differently, it's true believe me. Looks are to attract a partner basically, men choose a partner with what their genes tell them what they want in a mate and vice versa and looks are in there.

Jennifer Lopez is a good example, why are people shocked she looks great, the woman has been in People magazine for years and years with her workouts and her dancing, she is in great health, don't know and don't care if she has had 'work done' I do admire her physical health. Jeez look at what Renee Zellweger went thru a few years back, I'm not sure if she had lifts, fillers etc but she sure looked different till it all fell into place etc. We strive for youth because we want youth, who the hell wants to grow old? not me, but I did. It's not so bad, my kids loved when I grew my hair out and went white around my face, I think it looks weird but at 150.00$ for a dimensional every 6 weeks? nah enough of that. Ima Grammie! I love it. We are all judged on our looks as we all know, especially when we are 12-50, after that not so much because you can only starve off time for a while or you look like Donatella Versace or Lara Flynn Boyle, Priscilla Presley, or MIckey Rourke.. too much.. it's a personal choice though... I prefer to be the wizened old grammie, like my nanny was and my mom.. :) but that is me.

I think its personal preference and what one wants for themself, personally it's too exhausting to do all that some beautiful ladies here do, but that is what they want and I say you go girl! Be yourself.

So. At the risk of getting clobbered. Lol. Let me ask. Why did lots of folks on this post equate beauty with looking youthful?
The question posed is how do you manage beauty and yet, several have responded with how they stay young. At 46, I’m really curious about this notion that we women impose on ourselves. Why can’t we discuss beauty without mentioning youth? Why do we place such an emphasis on being mistaken for being younger than we are or vice versa? Do we really believe that as soon as we age, we will no longer be beautiful? Or that we don’t know any elderly beautiful people? Would love to hear your thoughts, especially if you responded in like fashion. And I don’t bring this up to be combative, but rather, to provoke some reflection or discussion.

Consider the comments about JLO after super bowl. She doesn’t look 50! She is ageless! She is gorgeous for 50! Omg! Why not just say she is beautiful?

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I met you MrsB, I was struck by your beauty.. BUT I was awestruck about your generosity and kindness, of course I'm a woman so I am not a deep looker of another woman's beauty. To allow me to wear your ring was a dream of mine, to be able to see such stones.. I think in all, kindness and brilliance is beautiful.

xo

Well, I'm 59 - 60 in 4 months, so I am in HEAVY maintenance mode!!

Having been so ill last year, it's been an uphill battle to stay looking half way decent. So here's my normal routine:

Color hair
Regular pedicures and manicures
Color my eyelashes - tho I haven't done this for a few months and it needs to be done
Sunscreen on my hands
Skin care up the wazoo
Vitamins
Don't smoke
Drink very little
Trying to get more sleep and doing well on this
No sugar - sugar is brutal for my skin
I stay out of the sun in general
I do a little exercise every day - yoga, tai chi, cardio - one or a combination
Have positive relationships
Cuddle my dogs a lot
IP facials - tho I'm due for this and haven't had any for a while
And I drink water - around 100 ml a day

These photos are within the last 12 months - the second one taken only a few months ago. The last one - which shows three photos - was compiled in December. The photo on the left of that threesome was me in December at 59.5 years of age in the harshest lighting imaginable, but there you go. The one in the middle was me at 52, I think, and the one on the right was me at 46. I've lost weight as I've gotten older, for which I'm thankful! No filters on any of these and no makeup either. I'm pleased enough with the way I'm aging. Youth and beauty have passed, but good grooming is eternal. My best / luckiest feature is that I have naturally red lips. For a woman who shuns makeup pretty much 100%, this is a blessing!

image1.jpeg

21-10-2019-13-35-39.jpg

Dorian Koo.jpeg

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For those of you all who have not seemed my beauty! and the coolness factor I possess! ;-) here I am at 22 and 66. 677993 672825

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like fine wine @Tekate, you’ve got better with age!

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
Will people share their positive or negative experiences with Botox.

I am currently contemplating getting some Botox injunctions from my dermatologist. I am 37 and wear minimal makeup on a day to day basis (tinted sunscreen). I have always looked young for my age but I am now developing static horizontal lines on my forehead....it’s a bit of a shock and I can see the signs of ageing creeping in. I wany to keep those wrinkles at bay but I also want to avoid the plastic look.

Any thoughts appreciated.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do I maintain my beauty?

It's easy ... I use Photoshop. :dance:

Reactions: CMN

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock

I am currently contemplating getting some Botox injunctions from my dermatologist. I am 37 and wear minimal makeup on a day to day basis (tinted sunscreen). I have always looked young for my age but I am now developing static horizontal lines on my forehead....it’s a bit of a shock and I can see the signs of ageing creeping in. I wany to keep those wrinkles at bay but I also want to avoid the plastic look.

Do it! It's such a lift to see those creases smooth out. :)

To me, the plastic look occurs not from Botox but when someone starts with the heavy duty procedures like a facelift and either goes too cheap (imo the plastic surgeons that charge more typically can do so because they've built up a large following due to their superior experience and skills). OR when someone doesn't know when to say when and then continues on to get a dozen more procedures, the nose, the lips, a second face lift five years after the first one and etc.

Then there's that whole deeper issue of why we'd do any of it at all but meh, personally I just enjoy the lift I feel and don't even go there.

Last edited:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My advice is to go to a highly recommended dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Lots of general practitioners and aestheticians will do botox injections but it takes someone with an understanding of facial muscles to do a good job. Don't cheap out (like my sister did lol!). You want natural, not crazy high eyebrows that look like a mad clown. For forehead lines, I also recommend starting with a very small amount and going back for more if you want/need more. Too much in the forehead lines can cause eyelid drooping and it takes a while for it to dissolve. The one time I went to a dermatologist other than my own, my eye drooped a small bit. It wasn't terrible but it did bother me. So, start slow with a great dermatologist. I love my botox and only go every 6 to 8 months. It lasts longer between injections the more treatments you have. When I first started, the effect would last 3 to 4 months. I think it lasts longer now because the muscles in your face sort of retrain themselves.

Note - I look totally normal with very big expressions. Lol, no way that anyone can mistake my anger or happy face. Good luck!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I'm intrigued by Vampire Facials - anyone tried one yet?

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm intrigued by Vampire Facials - anyone tried one yet?

I have had microneedling a few times but not with the blood so I don'tknow too much about an actual vampire facial. I had 10 days of pretty bad swelling after the microneedling so I tried laser resurfx. The recovery for resurfx is much easier, only a day or two.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results