shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you let go of sentimental pieces?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have trouble getting rid of sentimental things from my deceased parents and grandparents. I kept all the jewelry they gave or left to me, as well as pieces that hold special memories. I have no problem getting rid of my personal items, except those gifted by my husband and daughter.

This. My family uses the flatware that my grandparents used when my Dad was a child until they both passed. I “inherited” it (no one else wanted it), but it reminds me of them daily. I also have my grandmother’s original Kitchen Aid mixer that I still use, as well as some of her jewelry and her last bottle of perfume that she was using when she passed. She used that brand of French perfume my whole life and the scent of it makes me smile and cry at the same time. I would never wear it, but I open the bottle and smell it when I’m feeling down and it’s almost as good as her hugs....

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This. My family uses the flatware that my grandparents used when my Dad was a child until they both passed. I “inherited” it (no one else wanted it), but it reminds me of them daily. I also have my grandmother’s original Kitchen Aid mixer that I still use, as well as some of her jewelry and her last bottle of perfume that she was using when she passed. She used that brand of French perfume my whole life and the scent of it makes me smile and cry at the same time. I would never wear it, but I open the bottle and smell it when I’m feeling down and it’s almost as good as her hugs....

that's lovelly !

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
There is something about holding Mums necklace in my hand. Then I realize it's a thing, it isn't her. She would say go hug your boys begonia. So I do.

(Then they say "yo Ma, s'up?? You feeling sad?". Then I say "yeah, missing grandma begonia", and they say "remember the good times Ma". So I try that and we have tea and they ask me about my plants and I ask them what they want for supper and I think even if mama begonia isn't in heaven cuz maybe it doesn't exist, then she lives on in the tradition we have of time spent with loved ones drinking tea).

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
I don't. I have lost many sentimental things (my d**khead ex kept things) so what I have left I hold on to.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I don't tend to sell or get rid of sentimental stuff. I wait and think about it until I am sure I can get rid of it. I don't tend to get sentimental about many things though, so it doesn't end up coming up often.

But I was absolutely heartbroken when I sent my original engagement ring diamond to Sally at Heart of Water in Thailand and it got lost/stolen and never arrived to her. ugh that was awful and a huge lesson learned for me about being more careful about sending stuff overseas that it would break my heart to lose.

...but I am also the person who has kept my dog's baby teeth that fell out (if anyone doesn't know, dogs lose baby teeth just like people do). The thought of throwing them away just makes me sad and feel like I'm throwing away a piece of them. DH thinks I'm certifiable for it, but oh well.

Oh no, lovedogs, i didn’t know this happened to you. I’m so sorry.

HollyC

Brilliant_Rock

Cloves is the scent that reminds me of my mother. I wear Jo Malone's pomegranate noir - this reminds me of her.

musicalmeow

Rough_Rock
I hope it's not inappropriate for me to resurrect this thread. I found it useful to read through everyone's experiences, because I was surprised at my own reaction (e.g. feelings of regret) when I recently sent off a large box of relatively non-expensive items to be sold to a decluttering service. Luckily they return your items to you if you're unhappy with their offer. Having reflected over some of your experiences, I'm rethinking over a few of the more high value jewellery that I've not been wearing at all, and was planning to consign or auction off. While I find it exhausting to ruminate over all the 'what-ifs' scenarios (e.g. how to properly insure these pieces and how much that will cost me, losing / damaging them, how we can really use some extra fund right now, etc.), I really dislike the feeling of regret as well! Decisions!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope it's not inappropriate for me to resurrect this thread. I found it useful to read through everyone's experiences, because I was surprised at my own reaction (e.g. feelings of regret) when I recently sent off a large box of relatively non-expensive items to be sold to a decluttering service. Luckily they return your items to you if you're unhappy with their offer. Having reflected over some of your experiences, I'm rethinking over a few of the more high value jewellery that I've not been wearing at all, and was planning to consign or auction off. While I find it exhausting to ruminate over all the 'what-ifs' scenarios (e.g. how to properly insure these pieces and how much that will cost me, losing / damaging them, how we can really use some extra fund right now, etc.), I really dislike the feeling of regret as well! Decisions!

If its not too late for a rethink definatly have a rethink
once its gone its gone
And jewlery doesn't take up that much room compaired to furniture, china or even winter coats !

You could start a thread and we could have some fun as we share gentle encouragement over what to keep and what to let go

musicalmeow

Rough_Rock
Well i had to get rid of my old dining room set (it won't last in the move). And i felt a pang of sadness. I had it for 17 years, & even though it was rickety and way out of fashion.... still idk i felt a bit sad.

I feel you... No matter the condition or age, I find that things that have shared so many years with me really leave an emotional imprint, and I can only hope that the new owner will take care or even cherish it in its remaining years.

Congrats on the move, by the way!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results