carat
color
clarity

How do you keep cool?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Literally that is. :cool2:
It's a heat wave for many of us and I was just wondering what PSers do to keep cool when the heat index is over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Besides AC (please please please keep working AC) that is.

toohotcalvinandhobbes.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dh and I like to be outdoors as much as possible but when the weather is this hot and the air quality so poor we get out super early to cycle and are back before 10AM generally. Leaving in about 30 minutes (5:30AM) or so to start our cycling this morning and plan on being back by 10AM.

I pour water over my legs and torso (if necessary) as we are cycling to keep cool. As it evaporates it really helps.

I drink lots of water as we are riding.

My head is covered by a light SPF kerchief and it really does help with the heat.

terrariandmeonbeach.jpg.png

When we get back if I am warm I find eating cold food and drinking cold water helps bring my body temp down. I snack on frozen blueberries. Works like a charm.

I take a cool shower for immediate relief.
Then I take a warm bath. Helps bring my temp down when I get out of it.

Keeping under shade helps too. But when it is this hot once the temps climb I stay indoors. I don't do well in temp extremes.

Would love to hear your tips for remaining cool in a heat wave.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't even leave the house on the worst heat/humidity days. So I don't get overheated, which is next to impossible for me to reverse outside of a cold shower. Cold showers help. I grew up swimming in the lake every day. That was a natural way to never get overheated.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The only thing I do that is not on your list is using a folding fan. Drying with it feels chilly (&fun). I have ever used them; folding fans are everywhere!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Im always kewl.
I'm pretty much stuck in the house these days on hot humid days but in my much younger years I would put on a hat and sunscreen and go.
Growing up:
If I got hot I would jump on my bike and go jump in the creek or the lake depending on where I was.
A few years when I had a season pass to the waterpark I would bike there early in the day and stay until evening then bike back. I would sneak in food so I would not have to buy anything there.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I forgot the most important ingredient on/for a hot day...

daysicecreamlastsundayinsept2016.jpg

:lickout:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only thing I do that is not on your list is using a folding fan. Drying with it feels chilly (&fun). I have ever used them; folding fans are everywhere!

Yes I carry one in my purse most days. It does help. I used to have a battery operated fan but I find the fans one operates manually work best at moving the air providing some relief.

Reactions: AV_

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't even leave the house on the worst heat/humidity days. So I don't get overheated, which is next to impossible for me to reverse outside of a cold shower. Cold showers help. I grew up swimming in the lake every day. That was a natural way to never get overheated.

Yes this is my experience too. Once I get overheated it is hard to cool down.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Im always kewl.
I'm pretty much stuck in the house these days on hot humid days but in my much younger years I would put on a hat and sunscreen and go.
Growing up:
If I got hot I would jump on my bike and go jump in the creek or the lake depending on where I was.
A few years when I had a season pass to the waterpark I would bike there early in the day and stay until evening then bike back. I would sneak in food so I would not have to buy anything there.

I love cycling as it creates a breeze cooling me off and especially by the ocean. So we can cycle on hot days as long as it is early. Whereas it might be too warm to walk and hike. Cycling is just cooler overall.

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
I have Vornado fans in most rooms of the house.

It circulates the air constantly, which creates the sensation of a gentle breeze without the fan blowing directly on you. (I really dislike ceiling fans for that reason).

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We walk Salley as early as we can, we sit in the shade, we stay indoors with the AC and fans going. I'm sort of used to this type of heat from living in Texas for 18 yrs so I don't need the A/C blasting, also we open the windows up in the morning if it's cooler outside than inside. In Austin I would jump in the pool, sit under the umbrella dry off and repeat :) xo

Literally that is. :cool2:
It's a heat wave for many of us and I was just wondering what PSers do to keep cool when the heat index is over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Besides AC (please please please keep working AC) that is.

toohotcalvinandhobbes.jpg

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Its all what you are accustomed to. I live in Houston and the heat is just not a big deal. I loathe it when places (like movie theaters, grocery stores, etc.) crank up the AC because it's the difference in temperature from walking inside to outside that is the real issue. I've living in rural France this summer and there isn't any AC at all, not even in stores. I'm happy as a clam! As long as you are healthy, your body acclimatizes to your environment. Here are a few things can help you avoid feeling hot:

1. Wear loose fitting clothing. Tight fitting clothing, even if it is skimpy/barely there, will make you sweat more and just feel yucky and itchy. Think about what people wear closer to the equator.

2. Avoid both very frigid and very hot places, these extremes wreak havoc on your body. Getting into a car that's been parked in the sun will make your core temp soooooo much hotter, even if you start blasting the AC immediately. Conversely, if you spend two hours inside a frigid supermarket and then step outside its going to feel a lot worse than it really is.

3. Hydrate, but also remember that you loose salt and minerals when you sweat, so if you drink a lot of water, try to eat something as well so your electrolyte level doesn't drop too low.

4. Eat, but don't eat a large meal. Our bodies feel a lot hotter when we are digesting a large meal.

5. Do your outside stuff in the morning and evening. In India they say "only mad dogs and Englishmen [ meaning people who don't understand the heat] go out in the mid day sun." And often, depending on where you live, the highest temps are closer to 5pm then they are at noon. An afternoon siesta is always pleasant on a hot day so that you can have energy later in the evening when it cools off outside.

6. Hats are so handy! Shade is our friend! (And they help with prevent wrinkles too!)

7. If you don't have AC, make a homemade swamp cooler. Freeze a large (2L) plastic bottle of water and place it in front of a fan. This is what has kept my apartment cool here in rural France this summer during our 105 degree heat waves. The larger the bottle, or the more bottles you use, the cooler your room will be.

Hope these help. Good luck!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its all what you are accustomed to. I live in Houston and the heat is just not a big deal. I loathe it when places (like movie theaters, grocery stores, etc.) crank up the AC because it's the difference in temperature from walking inside to outside that is the real issue. I've living in rural France this summer and there isn't any AC at all, not even in stores. I'm happy as a clam! As long as you are healthy, your body acclimatizes to your environment. Here are a few things can help you avoid feeling hot:

1. Wear loose fitting clothing. Tight fitting clothing, even if it is skimpy/barely there, will make you sweat more and just feel yucky and itchy. Think about what people wear closer to the equator.

2. Avoid both very frigid and very hot places, these extremes wreak havoc on your body. Getting into a car that's been parked in the sun will make your core temp soooooo much hotter, even if you start blasting the AC immediately. Conversely, if you spend two hours inside a frigid supermarket and then step outside its going to feel a lot worse than it really is.

3. Hydrate, but also remember that you loose salt and minerals when you sweat, so if you drink a lot of water, try to eat something too so your electrolyte level doesn't drop too low.

4. Eat, but don't eat a large meal. Our bodies feel a lot hotter when we are digesting a large meal.

5. Do your outside stuff in the morning and evening. In India they say "only mad dogs and Englishmen [ meaning people who don't understand the heat] go out in the mid day sun." And often, depending on where you live, the highest temps are closer to 5pm then they are at noon. An afternoon siesta is always pleasant on a hot day so that you can have energy later in the evening when it cools off outside.

6. Hats are so handy! Shade is our friend! (And they help with prevent wrinkles too!)

7. If you don't have AC, make a homemade swamp cooler. Freeze a large (2L) plastic bottle of water and place it in front of a fan. This is what has kept my apartment cool here in rural France this summer during our 105 degree heat waves. The larger the bottle, or the more bottles you use, the cooler your room will be.

Hope these help. Good luck!

Great tips! Thank you! And I agree. I hate when the AC is blasting in stores and theaters etc. It can be painfully cold.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We walk Salley as early as we can, we sit in the shade, we stay indoors with the AC and fans going. I'm sort of used to this type of heat from living in Texas for 18 yrs so I don't need the A/C blasting, also we open the windows up in the morning if it's cooler outside than inside. In Austin I would jump in the pool, sit under the umbrella dry off and repeat :) xo

Well that is because you are naturally cool my dear Kate the great.
wow1.gif

LOL I am sweating up a storm right now but that is because I am taking a hot bath to detox.8)

36_1_69.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have Vornado fans in most rooms of the house.

It circulates the air constantly, which creates the sensation of a gentle breeze without the fan blowing directly on you. (I really dislike ceiling fans for that reason).

That sounds great. I also dislike air blowing on my face directly. Off to google Vornado fans. Thanks!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dh and I like to be outdoors as much as possible but when the weather is this hot and the air quality so poor we get out super early to cycle and are back before 10AM generally. Leaving in about 30 minutes (5:30AM) or so to start our cycling this morning and plan on being back by 10AM.

I pour water over my legs and torso (if necessary) as we are cycling to keep cool. As it evaporates it really helps.

I drink lots of water as we are riding.

My head is covered by a light SPF kerchief and it really does help with the heat.

terrariandmeonbeach.jpg.png

When we get back if I am warm I find eating cold food and drinking cold water helps bring my body temp down. I snack on frozen blueberries. Works like a charm.

I take a cool shower for immediate relief.
Then I take a warm bath. Helps bring my temp down when I get out of it.

Keeping under shade helps too. But when it is this hot once the temps climb I stay indoors. I don't do well in temp extremes.

Would love to hear your tips for remaining cool in a heat wave.

Well you are a trooper! The fact that you are out doing that in THIS MESS is truly admirable. I have to walk all 3 of my dogs - there is no alternative, because we don't have a yard fenced for them. So that is really the only time I leave the A/C in temperatures like this. I hate heat, and should probably live in New England or something :P2. Yesterday, I got caught in a thunderstorm while walking Rhonda, and it actually made me very happy to be soaking wet. I wish I could pick and plan when we walk, but really we have to play it by ear, and base it around Rhonda's schedule, which changes day to day because of her illness.

Primarily, I make sure all of us drink a lot of water - the dogs (Brodie especially) love to lay on the decks, but right now, I only let him out while I'm watering the deck garden because it's way too hot for something covered in fur.

Your tandem bike looks like great fun! (you know, for like, October weather :lol-2:)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well you are a trooper! The fact that you are out doing that in THIS MESS is truly admirable. I have to walk all 3 of my dogs - there is no alternative, because we don't have a yard fenced for them. So that is really the only time I leave the A/C in temperatures like this. I hate heat, and should probably live in New England or something :P2. Yesterday, I got caught in a thunderstorm while walking Rhonda, and it actually made me very happy to be soaking wet. I wish I could pick and plan when we walk, but really we have to play it by ear, and base it around Rhonda's schedule, which changes day to day because of her illness.

Primarily, I make sure all of us drink a lot of water - the dogs (Brodie especially) love to lay on the decks, but right now, I only let him out while I'm watering the deck garden because it's way too hot for something covered in fur.

Your tandem bike looks like great fun! (you know, for like, October weather :lol-2:)

Hahaha yes it is great cycling in October but you have a whole other set of issues because it gets cold by the sea in October and the wind gets very strong. I hear you though. LOL. We really love tandeming.
bikebikebike.gif
bikebikebike.gif
I cannot recommend it enough if one enjoys outdoor activities with one's sweetheart. We are always close enough to chat and it is very nice.

Yes walking the furbabies in the heat is no fun. I agree getting wet at that time only helps. We often get caught in the rain and when it is hot I enjoy it but when it is cooler ooh it is painful. Why don't you carry some spray water with you and spray yourself as you are walking the dogs in the heat? And how about a nice wide hat too.

I hope Rhonda starts feeling better soon.
1237400wqzwintuen.gif
Sending her buckets of healing dust and hugs to you both.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@RunningwithScissors In the south of Spain, I am also not using AC. Windows are open at night, the shades are down during much of the day & there is always a tray of ice on my desk - often with fruit on top for good measure. This is my fourth summer in Granada - hoping for many more to come.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hahaha yes it is great cycling in October but you have a whole other set of issues because it gets cold by the sea in October and the wind gets very strong. I hear you though. LOL. We really love tandeming.
bikebikebike.gif
bikebikebike.gif
I cannot recommend it enough if one enjoys outdoor activities with one's sweetheart. We are always close enough to chat and it is very nice.

Yes walking the furbabies in the heat is no fun. I agree getting wet at that time only helps. We often get caught in the rain and when it is hot I enjoy it but when it is cooler ooh it is painful. Why don't you carry some spray water with you and spray yourself as you are walking the dogs in the heat? And how about a nice wide hat too.

I hope Rhonda starts feeling better soon.
1237400wqzwintuen.gif
Sending her buckets of healing dust and hugs to you both.

Thank you! Good idea on the water spray bottle :dance: - I think that will help! Rhonda is as good as she’s going to get, which is okay by me. Daily medication is fine for us, and for the most part she lives a really happy life, compared to most dogs.

As far as the tandem bike goes - is it hard to navigate (turning wise) with the cars around? I’m always worried about getting run over. Bikes aren’t allowed on our boardwalk from May 15-October 15, which kind of stinks. But I’d really love to try that with my hubby! Only the person in the front gets to steer, correct? That’s an awful lot of trust to put in someone else :lol:

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Good idea on the water spray bottle :dance: - I think that will help! Rhonda is as good as she’s going to get, which is okay by me. Daily medication is fine for us, and for the most part she lives a really happy life, compared to most dogs.

As far as the tandem bike goes - is it hard to navigate (turning wise) with the cars around? I’m always worried about getting run over. Bikes aren’t allowed on out boardwalk from May 15-October 15, which kind of stinks. But I’d really love to try that with my hubby! Only the person in the from gets to steer, correct? That’s an awful lot of trust to put on someone else :lol:

We have 3 tandems and the recumbent tandem (the most recent one and the one we have been riding exclusively for the past 2 years) has a 36 foot wide turning radius so yeah it's difficult to turn around lol. The other tandems are much easier to navigate when turning but the recumbent has a huge turning radius. Otherwise it's easy to navigate and my dh made me an SPF canopy and an added benefit of that is it makes us more visible. Always a good thing when cycling. We aren't allowed on the boardwalk to cycle from May through October generally but in the off season we enjoy cycling on the boardwalk and in the summer we cycle in the street but it is still by the Ocean so it's a lot of fun. Yes the person in front is the one who steers (Captain)and I get to just sit back, cycle (stoker) and enjoy the scenery without worrying about traffic and navigating. Works for me.:sun:

Absolutely re the trust. Our tandem guy Mel shared some cycling wisdom with us when we ordered our first custom tandem with him:

"Wherever you are going in your relationship a tandem will get you there faster."

That is truth. :bigsmile:

Violet I say try one out with your dh and see what you think. We borrowed our friend's tandem (it was a wedding gift from his family when he got married but his wife doesn't like to cycle sadly) for a whole summer before we bought our first. We never looked back. LOVE it. No comparison vs regular cycling for us.

Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 2.30.41 PM.png

calfeetandem.jpg

cannondaletandem.jpg

Last edited:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is this thing "cools off at night"? :P2 It doesn't cool off at night here during the summer and the humidity is at least 90%. I would and did appreciate dry heat so much more.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With no A/C, I don’t!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am usually always cold. Not sure why. I can’t stand a fan directly on me (even when I get into a hot car) and I always sleep with a blanket. I’ve been known to increase the temp on the AC.
We did visit NY last week and I did start to feel hot but only on the subway stations. I normally carry a water bottle spray with drops of peppermint and lavender essential oils that I make for mosquitoes/ticks that I sprayed on my kids. It’s refreshing and keeps the bugs away. It worked last week bc it really cooled my kids down when we were at Central Park.
When we go to amusement parks I carry a huge spray bottle filled with water and ice and stick it in the freezer so it stays cold. I’ll spray the kids with it and when it gets empty I will just add ice cubes.
Other than that lots of cold refreshing water.

Last edited:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m usually cold. If I get too hot I take off my sweater which yes I wear in the summer. If I get hot I crank up the AC or consider calling a doctor. :D

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Peeps in UK thought I was mad to install air con in my house, however it was one of my best decisions I have made.
I don't like the heat, anything over 20 degC is hot for me.
I have a mini fan and an evaporation cooler on my desk so that I could keep cool if the air con is not on in the office.
I find spraying myself with water on my face helps me to feel cooler.
Wear loose fitting clothing as much as possible.
Avoid going on holiday or anywhere that is hot or crowded with no air con.
Drink plenty, eat food that makes me sweat to feel cool afterwards.
Hibernate in the house with air con on and blinds and curtains drawn.
Have I mentioned I don't like the heat? :roll2::lol-2:

DK :mrgreen2:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always find in fascinating when our US PSer friends complain about heat waves and how hot they are :D because most Americans would be shocked at our heat. Similarly even though there are places in Australia that snow, we don't know extended cold like you guys do. I was an exchange student to Michigan many years ago and I've never known such cold, and I grew up in what I consider was a coldish rural area of Australia....

So I guess it is all relative. :lol::lol::lol::lol: Our summers you can literally fry food on the dashboard of your car most days.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
when we had our jeep we would take off the soft top and go for a cruise usually ending up at the beech
when we moved into this house it was the hottest summer on record
we didn't know the heat pump did cold for about 2 months
l used to love the heat but its hard work working in it and ive never had a hob with either propper heating or aircon
right now its pretty cold where we live
no snow but a mid century insulated home
the floorboards are beautiful but carpet would be warmer
as soon as i get a job again we are going to have to get some insulation before the summer
it'll be an oven in here well before Christmas

i have heard if you run your pulse points under the cold tap it can help you cool down
enjoy the summer all you northerners

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results