shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you get UNdepressed?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I was wondering if there are any PSers prone to depression, and what you do to get yourself out of it. I know that exercise helps me feel better, as well as counting my blessings, but sometimes I am just sad for no apparent reason. Everything is fine, I just feel blah. Flat. Two dimensional. I know that depression runs in my family, but I am trying hard not to give in to it. It''s as if I was born to be sad.
7.gif

So, I''d love to hear your suggestions for how you resurface again. What do you do to make yourself feel better?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Reading a good book, watching a chick flick, spending time alone, eating comfort food (I know, bad Tacori!), talking to my mom, talking to my DH, watching my daughter, cuddling with one of our cats...I am prone to it but luckily my last *bad* phase was in college, 7 or so years ago.

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
HI I don''t post often within this thread, but I just wanted to let you know that everyone is different.

My mom suffers from depression and my grandmother has severe bipolar disorder... which means the only actual way to control their depression is medicine. I have yet to become depressed and I''m not sure when my mom first showed signs, but I am hoping that gene skips me.

So if it is severe, please go talk to someone (which my mom urges me to and I have and it does help) and don''t think you are "giving into it". If it needs medical attention, attend to it and there is nothing wrong with that.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Oy, I must be tired tonight because I read the title Undressed. Sheesh...

Since undepressed is the topic, I can only add a few thoughts as it isn''t something I''ve had too much trouble with. I''m assuming you aren''t talking about anything serious here of course. I think everyone feels down, not necessarily sad, just, like you said. Flat.

The first thing I think about if I am feeling...not myself...is how are my hormones doing? How have I been eating? Have I been sleeping? Have I been exercising? Do I have PMS? Am I too busy? After really looking at all these things I usually come up with an answer and find a way to feel better. Maybe I haven''t had any time to myself lately. A little shopping and a hot bath and I''m on the mend. Usually snuggles with the kids are my best and favorite cure!

I know I''ve been a little off lately, too. I think it''s this election, the economy, etc. You know, flushing your 401k in the potty! In an election year all the troubles of the world are right in your face all the time. I thnk the campaigns (both) are trying to make us fearful of the ''what if'' the other guy is elected. Just a thought. I hope you feel better soon!

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not a doctor or a therapist, but for mild cases of the blues, I''ve found that exercise really helps me. I hope you''re feeling better soon! Hugs!

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 8:44:00 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Reading a good book, watching a chick flick, spending time alone, eating comfort food (I know, bad Tacori!), talking to my mom, talking to my DH, watching my daughter, cuddling with one of our cats...I am prone to it but luckily my last *bad* phase was in college, 7 or so years ago.

Thanks Tacori - good suggestions! And your avatar is also a pick me up
2.gif

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 8:54:45 PM
Author: IloveAsschers13
HI I don''t post often within this thread, but I just wanted to let you know that everyone is different.

My mom suffers from depression and my grandmother has severe bipolar disorder... which means the only actual way to control their depression is medicine. I have yet to become depressed and I''m not sure when my mom first showed signs, but I am hoping that gene skips me.

So if it is severe, please go talk to someone (which my mom urges me to and I have and it does help) and don''t think you are ''giving into it''. If it needs medical attention, attend to it and there is nothing wrong with that.

I hear you asschers, but what would I go talk to someone about. Everything is fine. I really have nothing to complain about, which makes me frustrated with myself b/c I should feel happy. But I just feel yucky. Probably a lot to do with pms. Thanks for the advice.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 9:50:23 PM
Author: Miranda

Since undepressed is the topic, I can only add a few thoughts as it isn''t something I''ve had too much trouble with. I''m assuming you aren''t talking about anything serious here of course. I think everyone feels down, not necessarily sad, just, like you said. Flat.

The first thing I think about if I am feeling...not myself...is how are my hormones doing? How have I been eating? Have I been sleeping? Have I been exercising? Do I have PMS? Am I too busy? After really looking at all these things I usually come up with an answer and find a way to feel better. Maybe I haven''t had any time to myself lately. A little shopping and a hot bath and I''m on the mend. Usually snuggles with the kids are my best and favorite cure!

I know I''ve been a little off lately, too. I think it''s this election, the economy, etc. You know, flushing your 401k in the potty! In an election year all the troubles of the world are right in your face all the time. I thnk the campaigns (both) are trying to make us fearful of the ''what if'' the other guy is elected. Just a thought. I hope you feel better soon!

You may have a good solution Miranda - undressed may not be a bad idea - you know, endorphins and all...(if only DH would get home
27.gif

You are right about everything going on too. I should stop listening to CNN. Thanks

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 9:52:35 PM
Author: nclrgirl
I''m not a doctor or a therapist, but for mild cases of the blues, I''ve found that exercise really helps me. I hope you''re feeling better soon! Hugs!
Exercise helps me too ncl, but not today. Thanks for the hugs!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am glad my AV helps you too! Plus you have two of your own to make the world seem a little simpler. I totally get you by the way. Sometimes NOT having a reason to be sad/depressed is *worse*! Like you can''t fix what''s wrong if there is nothing to fix. In high school a quote from one of my favorite books helped me...kinda cheesy but it helped..."Sadness is like a season. It too shall pass." Hugs from me too!

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 10:40:17 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I am glad my AV helps you too! Plus you have two of your own to make the world seem a little simpler. I totally get you by the way. Sometimes NOT having a reason to be sad/depressed is *worse*! Like you can''t fix what''s wrong if there is nothing to fix. In high school a quote from one of my favorite books helped me...kinda cheesy but it helped...''Sadness is like a season. It too shall pass.'' Hugs from me too!

Thanks Tacori! As usual, great advice. You are a doll! Thanks for the hugs!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sadness & stress is contagious. I think its hard NOT to be depressed with the state of the country (& world really) at this junction. Don''t underestimate the vague external pressures & empathy you have for others in difficult situations & how much those factors contribute to your own state of mind, no matter how comfortable your own situation in life might be.

One of the biggest causes of stress is powerlessness. And there is just so much uncertainty & division -- geez. We''re a nation in a hangover.

Wish I could offer suggestions to snap out of it -- but if I knew I''d be doing them myself.
8.gif
2.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
if it wasn''t for the downs, i wouldn''t appreciate the highs. nothing wrong with depression but just don''t get stuck there. comes a point where one just has to shake oneself and realize that its just another phase of life and appreciate it too.

movie zombie

ps a bit of depression is healthy. getting stuck there isn''t a good idea.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry that you're feeling blue. I have spells where I get really down because of chronic health issues leftover from a wreck, and all I want to do is lock myself in my bedroom and boycott the world. When that happens, I have to force myself to go to work. It helps to be around my work friends and to go out to lunch and just talk about silly things. It also helps me to exercise, to not eat too many sweets, and to get the right amount of sleep. It makes a big difference if I get too little or too much. A trip home to visit my family always picks me up.

When I get in a funk, my DH lets me have a day or two (depending on how bad I feel) to mope, and then he gets me out for little day trips, shopping, finding new restaurants, etc. I find that my funks last longer if I hang around the house too much.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
there are phases and down times where people get sad and depressed and it will work itself out...

However, people who suffer from true, chronic depression are, in fact "stuck there"...it's not a matter of giving in or not giving in to it...it's chemical...and retraining your brain takes A LOT of hard work and I actually think it's pretty impossible....so it's all about better living through chemistry if you know what I mean and also therapy. Excercise and sunshine (and fooling around is actually documented also
9.gif
)will also get the serotonin up...It is a very sad, lonely (e/t so many people suffer from it), and irrational disease...and there isn't a way to rationally think your way out of it...that's a very common misconception.

You're getting me all choked up carats when you say that you were "born to be sad"... I know exactly what you mean.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 10:33:27 PM
Author: iluvcarats

You may have a good solution Miranda - undressed may not be a bad idea - you know, endorphins and all...(if only DH would get home
27.gif

You are right about everything going on too. I should stop listening to CNN. Thanks
Hahahaha! Well, after reading this and mmm''s response. I guess nookie is what you need!

Seriously, step away from the tv and internet. Just for a day. Of course I''m not encouraging you to be uninformed, but, a wee break may help you to feel better.

You''ve been given some very good advice here. And it''s been helpful for me as well! So, thanks for posting this. I have a feeling you called attention to the way a lot of us are feeling.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 11:46:23 PM
Author: moremoremore

You''re getting me all choked up carats when you say that you were ''born to be sad''... I know exactly what you mean.

Me too...

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
When I get really depressed I usually want to cuddle up on the couch and sink further into it. I find the hardest part is forcing myself to come out of it.

If I make myself take a walk I feel a lot better. Also, watching something funny like the Office helps distract me and get me out of the rut. I get anxious when I am depressed as well, and I picked up embroidery to help. It''s amazing that just making little stitches can clear my mind and make me feel less depressed.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hey Tacori..then maybe we WOULD get along in real life haha...it would only work if you''re a misearable f*ck like me
40.gif

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
First and foremost Carat, here's a >>>>. I find its comforting to lay down alone in a room, undisturbed, close my eyes and drift away and clear my mind. Its not the easiest thing to do especially when you depressed but if I get to that point where you can empty your mind and drift away.. You'll feel better after you open your eyes. I tend to doze off for 10 minutes. Its meditating.

Walking, talking to someone, doing something around the house, having a cup of tea and hugging my daughter or cats seems to help.

I hope you feel a little better today.

Jen

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I thought that''s what it was too, and I just burst out laughing in the middle of the office. lol

Anyhow, my advice is just that. Laugh. At everything. At anything. Laughter and my sense of humor has gotten me thru some terribly dark moments. But once I learned to stop and notice the little things all around me, and find humor in them, I realized that the clouds over my head started to peel away after awhile.
At first, it was almost something I forced myself to do. Just laugh....but after awhile it came more and more naturally. Give it a shot. Train yourself to think, when something is stressful, or annoying, laugh about it. Say "this is making me so frustrated or so upset, that its just funny."

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I find that exercise helps me a lot. I''m going through a rough spot right now as well, and I''m trying to keep active just to keep my mind off of things.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry you''re not feeling well - I have thyroid disease, which has made me struggle with depression too. Even with my thyroid medicine, occasionally it will still surface.

I agree that exercise makes a HUGE difference for me - also eating clean, like fruits and vegetables, will make me fell better when I''m sluggish and down.

Also, I had post-partum depression after I gave birth, and my dr. gave me Wellbutrin XL, which totally helped me. It''s a different type of anti-depressant - not the Prozac type (something inhibitor?) because that type made me gain weight and feel strange when I tried it. Wellbutrin is a mild stimulant, and really helped me. It was also easy to come off of after I was feeling better.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
For times in my life where I have truly been clinically depressed, therapy and medication have been what got me through. I really don''t think there''s anything that is going to be a better fix.

In less severe bouts (just the blues), I''ve relied heavily on exercising, journaling, art/music/something creative to re-focus my thoughts, meditation to calm my body, talking to a close friend or mentor, massages, pedicures, vacation... one of the biggest things is to stay away from alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I have gotten really terrific advice here. Starting to snap out of it. I am trying not to eat sugar, b/c I think it might set me off. So many smart wonderful people here on PS. I know it sounds corny, but I count PS as one of my many blessings! Thanks everyone!
35.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will watch a chick flick or exercise. Sunlight helps and getting out of the house, chatting with friends, or listening to good music. There is nothing wrong with taking medication, too, if that''s what will help you best. I need pretty much all of those things to keep me going!
2.gif

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
You know, this came up in my book club. One of the girls was saying Happiness is something that has only been "expected" in the last 50 years or so. That many generations before us never expected, nor were, to be happy or have happiness. It was a brief thing, surrounded by hardship, trial, and tribulations.

I think our instant gratification society, coupled with images of what life should be like on TV, in movies, and in magazines, makes us hold ourselves up to unreachable standards.

You know, its ok to be the person with the Charlie Brown cloud. Not everyone is Suzy Sunshine.

It''s ok to be sad sometimes. A good cry can clean out your heart & head.

If its persistent & its bugging you, a few things that help me are:

A little retail therapy (but not expensive to the point of creating debt...just a mini pick me up...a new throw, pillow, picture, scarf, lotion...whatever...)

A fun exercise class.

Going out for a nice hot cocoa & walking around window shopping.

A night of martinis with the girls.

Watching re-runs of Friends (that always lifts my spirits and makes me laugh)

Watching REALLY funny movies.

If you can afford it: Going someplace hot & sunny (I reserve this for the big blues)

and if you are prone to depression, taking meds for it. There is NOTHING wrong with that. It really does help, and a lot of times, its just what you need to get the spring back in your step & feel like YOU again.

Talk to your doc if it persists and if the behavioral changes don''t work.

Oh...behavioral changes...this is a big one. If you are doing things that foster depression (staying up late, sleeping in, closing yourself off to people, not doing much, and staying home) STOP THEM! One at a time, attack those behaviors.

Go to bed at a decent hour.

Get up at the same time each day.

Talk to your friends.

Keep your home neat.

Go do SOMETHING each day.

Get off the internet.

If you were to see a therapist, they also recommend modifying behavior in addition to meds. Behavior modification is huge in lifting your spirits. We get stuck in ruts so easily.

HOpe this help....big hugs.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Depends on why I am feeling down, here are some things that work for me

If I am upset because of something going on in my life (which is the most common reason I am down these days), I like to talk it over with someone who has good listening skills. It makes me feel like I am working towards a soloution.

If it is just hormonal, than exercise, shopping (I often times never buy anything, I think it is just to distract me from the everyday), mindless TV shows are great

Being with friends will usally lift my spirits.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
My list of short term fixes:

1) Baths with candles
2) Taking a walking with my husband
3) Reading a book
4)Shopping (not recommended though, by any trained therapist, counselor or doctor)
5) Swimming

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
1. Time with my doggies. They lift my spirit in a nano second.

2. Watch a movie, one that makes you laugh. Humor heals your soul.

3. Call a friend, getting your feelings out helps a lot.

4. Go shopping, not saying to buy anything extravagent, but get out there, walk around. Will do wonders for you.

5. Go see a movie, get some popcorn, find a great seat and have fun!!!

6. If I am down, I don''t tell my kids, as they have enough on their plates. That''s why my list was kid free.....
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results