carat
color
clarity

How do you find a local jeweler?

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey All,

I know that several of you post how you have a local bench and/or jeweler, how do you find a good one? What are your tips when looking? I went shopping for the bangle I want and am feeling good about the place I've been, but want to see what you all suggest. :D

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in UK, and heard an advert on the local radio about a jeweller/bench that makes their own rings and other jewellery items near where I work, and popped into their shop one day to check it out, and was impressed with what I saw.

Some time later, I lost one of the diamond side stones of my 3-stone Ruby ring, and I went to them to enquire about having the remaining stones re-set, and they suggested for the ring to be repaired instead, as a new setting in platinum would cost considerably more.

They did a great job in finding a diamond that matched the remaining side stone, and re-set the remaining stones to make sure they were secure. Can't fault their service and quality of workmanship. The price was as expected for UK (i.e. not cheap).

I shall go back to them to have my EC taken out of its existing setting to be reset in a new semi-mount early next year.

DK :))

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read reviews online and asked people I knew who love jewelry. The place I go, I found out about through the latter. They don't do the crazy PS-level work, but if you want a stone set and aren't picky about the prongs, want to order a basic stock setting, want something repaired, etc, they have reasonable prices, always understand what you want, and are good enough to be able to do it. BUT I haven't tried anything totally crazy with them and have never seen them do anything with pave. However for the vast majority of stuff I want done, they're good. And they're always happy to give advice and tips and don't care that I buy a lot of stuff off the internet and bring it in for them to work on.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We use 3 different jewelers who are great at different things. One specializes in custom work, another does the most reasonably priced repair work, and the third is the one who set my center stone so I take it there for inspection/cleaning/polishing.

We only buy from the second, because they have lines I like. The one who does the custom work is great and I have a few of his pieces, as do our friends, but I'm not a huge fan of his style and prefer to have him execute my designs instead. The third, as I said, supplied the setting and set my e-ring stone. I don't care for most of the lines they carry so I don't shop there, but I do recommend them for solitaire settings and that type of bench work. The first is a friend of my husband's and now his wife and I are also friends, so that's how we found them. The second has been around for years and years and my parents shopped there when I was growing up, so I'm comfortable there even though the owner is kind of a cheeseball. The third has also been around forever and my husband found them when he was building my e-ring.

I would just shop around, maybe take some inexpensive pieces in for repairs if you need work done, and listen to word of mouth. And i would NOT judge a jeweler by their website even though that is key for businesses these days. Some of the best jewelers I've ever purchased from had horrible, outdated sites.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your replies. I have gone into this store several times; the first time was when I was shopping for my scatter band. I spoke with a wonderfully helpful elderly gentleman who was one of the original owners of the store. He was awesome. I can't remember why I went with WF for my scatter band, however the experience I had with the jeweler was great. The second time I was not impressed. Today, the service was top notch. I was able to convey what I wanted and he was frank and upfront with me. I don't typically have jewelry to have repairs.

I liked the styles they had that they made in house, which is why I brought up the questions... :) The other issues are that all my friends and family depend on the Maul stores, not that I haven't frequented there, however for the price I was quoted, the maul store didn't have what I want.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, sorry! I didn't read your post very closely and was responding more generally than I should have.

If you like the bangle and the price, and the service was good this time, then I say go for it.

I am impressed that you typically don't have repair work! I am always having some little thing go wrong...one of my pearl studs came unglued this week, I lost a monster earring back a few months ago at a wedding that I need to order a replacement for, I need a jump ring replaced on a bracelet, etc.

Too bad that your friends and family like "maul" stores. But that's ok--to each their own. You know your stuff and can determine the best bang for your buck because you've educated yourself. Excited to see your new bangle!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1417913575|3796690 said:
I would just shop around, maybe take some inexpensive pieces in for repairs if you need work done, and listen to word of mouth. And i would NOT judge a jeweler by their website even though that is key for businesses these days. Some of the best jewelers I've ever purchased from had horrible, outdated sites.

Or no website at all.

And I second the idea to take inexpensive pieces in for repairs. That's what I did as well. Start small and build up to bigger/more complicated things, that way you can keep an eye on the quality along the way and learn how they interact and interpret what you want.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I read reviews, identify stores with potential. Browse. Ask basic questions to see if the staff is knowledgeable and/or well trained. Then if I find their comments encouraging I talk to them. I do not hide my knowledge and if they welcome it, and take time to talk to me and encourage my hobby, then I go back.

My favorite jewelers are the ones that, once they find out I am a hobbyist, pull out stuff that only a hobbyist or professional would appreciate like Yellow or Green Fluorescent stones, cool gemstones, or items with unique inclusions. Usually the jewelers that do this really love what they do and want to share their collection and 'talk shop'. This usually translates into them being good at what they do because they genuinely love jewelry.

One of my local jewelers here does all of that. It's a husband and wife team and they are always very nice, even if they are busy. Shs'a an appraiser and a GG and he's a bench jeweler and designer.

I also find a lot can be learned just by asking about lab reports and what labs they carry/recommend.

And if you ask about old cuts and if they have any. Jewelers that stock or carry or appreciate old cuts (even if they don't have any in stock because it's not a money maker for them), as opposed to the ones that disparage or slam them tend to be ones that are not stuck in the ice age and trying to impose their opinions on ignorant customers or bully them.

And if they have a bench.... ask them to see their bench work. Learn what good bench work looks like. Ask to see something they've sized. Something they've created. Ask to see their pave or engraving or milgrain. Whatever.

But you have to know what good work looks like in order to tell it apart from bad work.

And, take your loupe, ASET, whatever with you. Good jewelers won't be afraid of that stuff.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! Lots of great advice! I don't have a loupe, but I like the idea of asking about old cuts. As for not needing repairs, it's been a long while and honestly I just brought a different bracelet to a guy to have fixed. He's ok, but not wonderful. He is very reasonable which is why I have gone to him. They look higher up in comparison.

I have a feeling that some of the decision in the jeweler is the instinct factor. I do think I'll end up going with them because I like the idea of custom work for a bangle.

While we were talking he seemed to understand exactly what I was wanting, and showed me a setting catalog with the styles I liked, and quoted me reasonable prices. He didn't blow smoke, didn't make me feel inferior for my low budget, and didn't hesitate to have me try on the higher pieces. I understand that he was looking at a sale, but he didn't push the issue. I've been to several places and many of them are all about the sale, even with how nice they are. His service reminds me of the service I had at Cartier LOOOOONG before I ever bought my trinity band.

Speaking of Cartier, I mentioned that the Cartier Love was what I really wanted, however it's out of range. He mentioned that his wife has one and we had a fun chat. ;-)

Sigh...maybe I should get a second job to afford my bling tastes! ;-) Minimum wage minus taxes would be around $6.50...that means I would have to work for 100+ hours to buy a LOVE.... :knockout:

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Really a combination of ways. I will ask around at work and check online reviews. From there I will make a short list and do some browsing for fun. That gives me an idea of the quality they have in their stores. Finally I will bring in something like a ring needing resizing or a necklace with a broken clasp (nothing too expensive). At this point I'm pretty sure they do good work and provide good service.

I move a lot so this is starting to get routine.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ask around at work or friends to see who's had good luck somewhere.

MrsDarcy

Rough_Rock
Where I live, there aren't a ton of jewelers, but we go on recommendations. That said, everyone here is insanely overpriced so I rely on online recommendations from PS and I've ordered all my stuff via the internet.

kim3005

Rough_Rock
As someone mentioned, most jewelry at stores are overpriced, and you may find good deals online.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results