shape
carat
color
clarity

How do jewelers "shrink" rings so quickly"?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

heart prongs

Shiny_Rock
Someone asked me this question recently...and since I''ve been wondering the same since we had my husband''s ring resized a bit smaller last winter...I thought it was finally time to ask! We were literally out of the store within 10 minutes...they didn''t cut it and it''s a Scott Kay brushed plat. band with no stones...

Is it lasers? Someone please explain this to me in simple terms...thanks...

klr
30.gif
prongs

laney

Brilliant_Rock
I got to see what they did to my platinum band.

They put it into this really cool laser welder.

They did cut it - but you couldn''t tell at all when it was done. The laser welder just did a "pop" and a "flash" and it was done. 2 seconds.. and about 30 seconds for the machine to get up to the setting..

Then he polished it on a standard polisher and that was about 5 minutes.. and it looked like it had never been split on the bottom at all.

The laser welder was awesome.. you can put your bare hands right in there.. the beam comes down and it heats the plat up right in the exact spot. So heat doesn''t have to be used on the rest of the setting. The setter Bill told me that it''s good also for setting things like CZ - where the whole thing doesn''t have to get hot.

Ok - don''t know why I was excited about the laser welder - but I was..!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We have Harry Potter in the back room and he casts a spell.

No?

Well okay, true story.

For sizing a ring up a size (say 7 to 7.5, often called a half size but it is actually a size as a 7 to an 8 would be up 2 sizes) we can put the ring on a ring stretcher which expands by hand so that you can "bump" the ring up without cutting. This is most often done only on bands and other rings without channel sets or pave as to try to do so with such a ring is to invite disasster.

To size a band down (must be a round ring without stones) you can put the ring into a tapered hole and carefully "smoosh" it down first on one side, then the other. Then repolish the ring, and "VOILA" it is magically reduced a size.

It works for some rings and not for others. That is what it sounds like was done.

Wink

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Laney, i can''t believe you watched!!! I would have been a nervous wreck!!!!!
23.gif

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Maxine -

I was really facinated. Actually - the laser welder wasn''t the hard part to watch - it was actually putting the stone into the setting that was hard.... "ahh... oh... that doesn''t hurt it does it?"... that WAS hard! lol!

heart prongs

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all!

Harry Potter...that''s funny...! My husband calls me a muggle as I''ve never read the books...is that mean??
33.gif
!!

klr
30.gif
prongs

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/29/2005 5:23:33 PM
Author: heart prongs
Thanks all!

Harry Potter...that''s funny...! My husband calls me a muggle as I''ve never read the books...is that mean??
33.gif
!!

klr
30.gif
prongs
LOL, a muggle is a non-magical person

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

On the day after Christmas one year I did 82 ring sizings. Almost all of them were cut and welded. It takes a bit of practice but it's not usually all that hard to size a ring in 10 minutes.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

DoubleB

Rough_Rock
klrprongs

As long as he doesn''t call you a "mugblood", you''re ok. That''s a derogatory term for a muggle!

DoubleB

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
You mean "mudblood"
2.gif
It''s very sad that I know all this at my age
6.gif

And it means a witch/wizard that is a half-blood, meaning one of their parents is a muggle.
34.gif

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Bragging
Is this a new Neil?
9.gif

I dare say, they were all perfect too!

Many can be done easily, but if you are talking about large size increases/decreases especially where stones are concerned. You are changing the shape of the ring, and altering the size a large amount affects the stones settings. Prongs may beed to be tightened and stones set back in where the size is reduced a few sizes. There is also more work adding a few sizes.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/29/2005 7:21:09 PM
Author: Platinumsmith
Bragging
Is this a new Neil?
9.gif

I dare say, they were all perfect too!
Nah, this is evidence of a mispent youth. I was working in a tradeshop sizing pieces that had been sold at a big chain store for the Christmas season. People converged on the stores to return the things that didn''t fit properly and everyone just HAD to have it tomorrow. These were not what you would describe as high end stores stocked with premium merchandise although I did get pretty good at it. Surely you will concede that sizing down a brand new yellow gold solitaire by half a size is a pretty straightforward job, even to do it well. Fortunately for me, all of the hard jobs were filtered out by the take-in lady and assigned a more sensible due date.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
I think Neil is blushing
2.gif

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Yes Neil you can get really fast at re-sizing. Nice to have a box full od bits of scrap from downsized rings to add. Quick emery, bang bang, lick of polish... next.

Still coming to grips with my new picture of you as a sweat shop worker
31.gif

Phil

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Everyone has to start somewhere. I''m sure there are excellent chef''s who got their first job at McDonalds.

Unfortunately, Garry''s comment about stuffing the jeweler into a little hole is a bit too close to home. Oh, wait, he meant stuffing the ring into a hole.

I''m certainly glad to be out of that piece of the business but I did learn quite a bit there. I don''t regret it.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, you learn which short cuts you can make and which ones don''t pay.

heart prongs

Shiny_Rock
non-magical? me? I don''t think so!!!!Just wait til he gets home from work!!!

klr
30.gif
prongs

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Don''t give away the plot. I am softening a Tolstoy with a Harry Potter. I reakon they are they are great page turners. I want to be Harry Potter.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
My X-prong had to be smaller, and the jeweler tried to retain the stamp, but ended up cutting off the e. So now it says "Vatch." I joke that it''s my designer imposter ring. :)

ksomerville

Rough_Rock
Where is everyone finding these jewelers that will resize the ring so quickly and while you are waiting? I''m in Portland, OR and nobody here has been able to recommend a jeweler in the area other than Carl Greve''s. When I talked to them, it takes 3 days to resize the ring and they don''t do it in-house. I would like the jeweler doing the work to look at the ring on me and let me know what resizing technique would be best. I did have my finger sized before ordering the ring so obviously a little more care needs to be made in determining the correct size for me. Is this too much to ask of a jeweler?

louisesam

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/31/2005 1:36:55 PM
Author: kfs
Where is everyone finding these jewelers that will resize the ring so quickly and while you are waiting? I''m in Portland, OR and nobody here has been able to recommend a jeweler in the area other than Carl Greve''s. When I talked to them, it takes 3 days to resize the ring and they don''t do it in-house. I would like the jeweler doing the work to look at the ring on me and let me know what resizing technique would be best. I did have my finger sized before ordering the ring so obviously a little more care needs to be made in determining the correct size for me. Is this too much to ask of a jeweler?
my sentiments exactly. i''m in NH and i have to wait a week for barmkians to resize a ring. i thought that was a bit much because when i lived in NJ my jeweler could resize it for me (with me even watching) in a few minutes. i was also reading other threads wherein one had her bracelet & ring rhodium plated and she had to wait about 30 minutes. where are you finding these fantastic jewelers? wish i had one near me.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/30/2005 12:35:57 PM
Author: phoenixgirl
My X-prong had to be smaller, and the jeweler tried to retain the stamp, but ended up cutting off the e. So now it says ''Vatch.'' I joke that it''s my designer imposter ring. :)
LOL! That is cute.

You could send it back in to Vatche if you wished and they could restamp it for you...

Contact your vendor and ask him/her about it...

Wink

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/31/2005 2:33:59 PM
Author: louisesam
my sentiments exactly. i''m in NH and i have to wait a week for barmkians to resize a ring. i thought that was a bit much because when i lived in NJ my jeweler could resize it for me (with me even watching) in a few minutes. i was also reading other threads wherein one had her bracelet & ring rhodium plated and she had to wait about 30 minutes. where are you finding these fantastic jewelers? wish i had one near me.

My jeweler will replate my rings for me with me waiting. It''ll take about 30 to 45 minutes, so he''ll usually engage me with his newest stock and allows me to try them on while his jeweler is checking my prongs and doing the replating. However, I usually will email him a few days in advance to ask when the best day is for me to come in, so he knows of my arrival and I''m cognizant of their time schedules.

It''s worked out for us so far!!!

louisesam

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/31/2005 7:00:39 PM
Author: AChiOAlumna

Date: 8/31/2005 2:33:59 PM
Author: louisesam

My jeweler will replate my rings for me with me waiting. It''ll take about 30 to 45 minutes, so he''ll usually engage me with his newest stock and allows me to try them on while his jeweler is checking my prongs and doing the replating. However, I usually will email him a few days in advance to ask when the best day is for me to come in, so he knows of my arrival and I''m cognizant of their time schedules.

It''s worked out for us so far!!!

your jeweler is smart. it''s a great marketing strategy actually. i''d be willing to wait instore, ogle his eyecandy and make a shopping/ wish list. *sighs* but try as i might, i have to wait a week for anything to be done.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry folks, there is only one Harry Potter - and I have it on good authority that he is not helping resize rings for Wink.

So, no one else can be Harry Potter. However, that does not mean that you could not attend Hogwarts - or one of the other schools if you have the right abilities - however faint (there are afterall hundreds of students every year at Hogwarts alone). There are such schools arround the world. However, it seems that secrets get out to the muggles easier in Europe than elsewhere; which is why there is a Harry Potter series of books.

I must warn you though. Not everyone passes their classes and some barely progress in their skills at all. Also, the vast majority of students are not up to the level of ability that are written about in most books that get out to the muggle press. Some have difficulty in just lighting a candle - or some other very simple task. There is not much money or employment for those; unfortunately. But a lifelong of study and practice can improve things if you work at it...

Now if I could just get that candle to light... I've been working on it for years.

Perry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results