shape
carat
color
clarity

How do I get this setting?

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by Marriedbuteloped, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Marriedbuteloped
    Rough_Rock

by Marriedbuteloped » Aug 13, 2019
    Hi PS experts!

Long story short but I would like to change my ring setting. I am new in the world of diamonds and would like to ask how to go about that. Although I picked the current setting of my ring I am not happy with it and hardly wear it.

After looking at many sites including my jeweler's, James Allen, BE etc. I settled on this one....

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 07.19.07.png

It has to be exactly this setting or very close.

My questions: Should I go with the jeweler of this site, Shiree Odiz? Is she known, reputable? Has anyone used the company? If not, how can I find this setting? I don't mind shipping my current ring and have them do it in their shop. My budget is flexible but I would like to get it in 18K WG. What do I do with the old setting? It is from Art Carved and was also pricey.

This is my current ring:

IMG_1062.jpg

Full disclosure. My stone is a MMD from DeBeers Lightbox collection. It is a 1ct princess cut. My ring size is 5.5.

I appreciate any help with this. You are all so knowledgable and I am looking forward to hear your responses.

Angela

D&T likes this.

2. mrs-b
    Ideal_Rock

by mrs-b » Aug 13, 2019
    Hmmm. Have you found out the width of the band on this, and the size of the diamond in the picture? This is the sort of setting that can go horribly wrong, as what the eye is so attracted to in a setting like this is the proportions. There are no frills or decorations, so the proportions have to be exactly right, or it's going to look like a different ring.

Also, you need the setter to be able to reproduce those very slender right-angle prongs. When a princess cut diamond is set with those prongs, if they're any wider than 'very slim' it radically changes the look of the ring / diamond.

Also, since princess cut diamonds are cut deep and are low on surface area, my suggestion would be that you go with a slightly narrower band than this, just in general. With a setting like this, I'm guessing you want a strong, architectural look. That's a cool look, but if the band is wide, it will over-power your stone.

So - start by finding the stats of the band. Next - what are the dimensions of your stone?

kipari, Marriedbuteloped and lovedogs like this.
  3. mrs-b
    Ideal_Rock

by mrs-b » Aug 13, 2019
    Sorry, @Marriedbuteloped - I didn't do a very good job answering your other questions.

What to do with old settings is an ongoing problem here. Most of us try to re-sell them, but be aware, second hand settings sell HEAVILY discounted. Can you show us a face on photo of it? It's hard to tell what it's like from the side.

If it has no diamonds, you may end up finding it's not worth much more than the value of the metal in it; settings like this are particularly difficult as - since they have no basket - the stone sits only in the prongs, meaning the dimensions of someone else's stone has to be almost exactly the same as yours before it can be re-used. It looks like a very pretty setting, but I'm guessing it will be tough to re-sell. Is it gold or...? Either way, Loupe Troop is probably your best bet here.

I haven't heard of Shiree Odiz, nor heard of anyone on these boards using her. This isn't to say they haven't tho. For a better chance of feedback, you might want to start a thread in Rocky Talky with the subject line something like "Has Anyone Ever Used Shiree Odiz?"

If you decide to go with her, make sure her settings are made specifically for your stone, rather than standard size pre-made stock settings. Other than that, you might want to consider the custom made route. That's pretty easy with a ring this simple, once you decide on the proportions, and might give you the opportunity to use CADs and wax settings to get a feel for how it would look on your finger before you actually get it made.

Good luck!

4. D&T
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by D&T » Aug 13, 2019
    I have had a clover earrings made by her and I love my earrings ( not super ideal cut diamonds but it’s on my ears since I can’t see it and didn’t want to pay a premium for ideal cut diamonds it’s sparkly and great quality enough for me at the time and in my ears) Though the setting you chose seems to be pretty standard rings many jewelers here can make.

LightBright and Marriedbuteloped like this.

5. Marriedbuteloped
    Rough_Rock

by Marriedbuteloped » Aug 13, 2019
    Thank you mrs-b and D&T for the your replies and especially mrs-b for the very extensive answer. I guess I was not prepared for how difficult this process might be, but once you explained the dimensions it makes sense of course. And yes, I am looking for the sleek, industrious look. No frills.

Considering what you explained and that I can not just mail my ring to the jeweler and get that look back I might go the route of custom setting. I am afraid I will become a serial re-setter if I don't get this right. :lol: So the idea of a template, wax model, rendering appeals to me. And I would not mind putting some effort and expenses into this up front.

But how do I go about this? The current setting was done by a mall chain...

I live in Boston and I know there are a few jeweler stores downtown including BE. (And what does "bench" mean?)

The dimensions are ~ 5.1 x 5.1 mm and about 4mm high. I am including some more pictures:

PS: The current setting is 18k two tone, Art Carved

Again, thank you so much. Angela

LightBright likes this.
  6. mrs-b
    Ideal_Rock

by mrs-b » Aug 13, 2019
    Hi @Marriedbuteloped! I live in Boston, too! Well, a suburb, anyway.

I would suggest working with David Klass, because this seems like a project where you would *really* benefit from a wax mold, and I know he does them. His prices are also very reasonable and he and his partner, Amy Phillips, are 2 of the nicest people you'll ever meet. He's thought very highly of on these boards and there are a lot of examples of his work here, including this very, very long thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-david-klass-bling.196654/

They'll also work with you until you get what you want. I hope this helps!