shape
carat
color
clarity

How deep is too deep?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FLRSNS

Rough_Rock
I keep hearing about sometimes staying away from deep diamonds. What depth would each of you say would probably not be something to not consider. (And I do realize each person has a diiferent answer/different preference on depths.)

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/15/2008 12:30:11 PM
Author:FLRSNS
I keep hearing about sometimes staying away from deep diamonds. What depth would each of you say would probably not be something to not consider. (And I do realize each person has a diiferent answer/different preference on depths.)

Oh boy, here it goes... All right, my personal preference is a total depth between 59 - 61.8% but understand that the premise behind limiting the total depth of the diamond is because the spread of the stone (visible diameter) is directly affected by the total depth. The deeper the total depth, the smaller the outside diameter will be. The really important factor is visual performance and this will be more controlled by the combination of the crown and pavilion angle than it will be by the total depth - yes, they''re related, but more importance should be placed upon the pavilion and crown angle than the total depth.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
are you talking about a round? if so, i wouldn''t go deeper than 62%...too deep and loose spread making a diamond look smaller than it should, and who wants that? also can affect performance...

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
For round brilliants, I like to stay in the 60-62 range. For the right diamond at a slightly discounted price due to lack of spead I would go up to 62.3 if light performance was still killer. For other shapes I would give you vastly different numbers.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
For rounds:
Depending on the crown and pavilion angles 62.5 or so.
The few hundreds of a mm between 62.5 and 61.8 or 62 at 1ct makes no real world difference and it scales as size increases.

note the colored portion, there are a lot of stones that are that deep because of bad crown and pavilion angles, its a stone by stone call.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results