shape
carat
color
clarity

How can we trust people with our diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rtl629

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone, I''ve been lurking around here lately while I''ve been preparing to purchase an engagement ring for my girlfriend. After weeks of research I finally decided on a Blue Nile diamond.

1.2c Princess
Color G
VS1
VG cut
VG polish
VG symmetry
Table - 68%
Depth - 73%
Dimensions - 6.23 x 5.83 x 4.3mm
Price - $6299

FedEx delivered it today, and I must say it looks fantastic! Very happy!

Now... I have a few questions for y''all. Should I get it appraised before or after I have it set (or both). I am very concerned about handing my diamond to a stranger and trusting that he/she will not switch it with a lower quality stone. How can I protect myself from such a fraud besides finding someone who is reputable. Any tips or comments?

Thanks!!
Ryan

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I know that Mike Morrell will only take stones via independent appraisers and expects you to have insurance on the stone should something happen to it while setting:

"The majority of the center stones that I work with were purchased elsewhere. I did not sell these items. I did not profit in any way from the sale of these items and it would be foolish to put myself in a position of liability regarding these items. I strongly suggest that the owner of any item have insurance against loss or damage in place before having that item sent to me by your verifiable appraiser or vendor. I am not going to insure your property at any time except during shipping. We have third party insurance available to cover loss during shipment to your verifiable vendor of appraiser. Specific rules do apply.

So .... what do I do now?

I've found myself writing pre-project insurance proposals on behalf of clients for the purpose of insuring their property - before I receive it - with Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company throughout 2006. This is a new occurrence for me and I do expect this trend to continue. I'll be pleased to work with you in getting proper information to you - so that you can arrange to have your items insured before we commence with receiving your goods and finishing your project."

You may want to consider doing something along those lines if you are apprehensive.

Just my $.02.

BTW, congratulations on your impending engagement!

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
A diamond can be identified by its inclusions, much as you are identified by your fingerprints. An appraiser can see the inclusions that are mapped on your diamond's certification under magnification. If the diamond were to be switched out (which is so very unlikely, as a jeweler is not willing to lose their good reputation over your diamond), it would be very apparent when the inclusions were missing (or different).

Thus, it would do you some good to take your diamond to an independant appraiser before and after setting, if only to put your mind at ease.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results