shape
carat
color
clarity

How best to recreate the Meghan Markle ring

sne3103

Rough_Rock
Sorry for the quality, I had to crop these from emails on my phone. This was the CAD just before one final alteration to make sure the inner prongs were tucked in as far as possible. Screenshot_20200703-133228_Gmail.jpg Screenshot_20200703-133140_Gmail.jpg

Oh no these are perfect, thank you. Which vendor did you use?

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
Here is the final shot I got. It's a little harder to see the pinching in this because they were focused on the inner prongs.

What I love is that the taper of the band leads in to the side stones, and the prong placement helps with that being smooth, and then there is a flaring back out as you widen to the center stone. Screenshot_20200703-133537_Gmail.jpg

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
This was Good Old Gold. I'd gotten my original ring from them with all AVRs (before Jonathan left) and with the upgrade policy it made more sense to stay with them. We worked with Lynda and had an amazing experience, she is great.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I think you can keep it in a simple basket setting and I am pretty sure that is what she has. I went with a trellis so I could get a flush sitting band. You will probably need some sort of spacer with this low of a basket setting. I forgot I did a version of this ring in a basket setting for my SIL too.

I think you need to have at least 4 mm side stones for them to make it look like a 3 stone or else it will start looking like a solitaire with side stones (IMO). You have an average ring size so 4 mm is still pretty small for side stones. I would suggest a 9x7 brilliant elongated cushion with 4 mm lab diamond side stones if you go with the Chinese companies. I feel like once you get over 9x7 in the brilliant moissanite, they do start looking very splintery and a little less natural. I don’t prefer white gold because it is shiny and needs dipping. For the top of a setting though, you won’t have to dip it as often and it is probably fine.

sne3103

Rough_Rock
I think you can keep it in a simple basket setting and I am pretty sure that is what she has. I went with a trellis so I could get a flush sitting band. You will probably need some sort of spacer with this low of a basket setting. I forgot I did a version of this ring in a basket setting for my SIL too.

I think you need to have at least 4 mm side stones for them to make it look like a 3 stone or else it will start looking like a solitaire with side stones (IMO). You have an average ring size so 4 mm is still pretty small for side stones. I would suggest a 9x7 brilliant elongated cushion with 4 mm lab diamond side stones if you go with the Chinese companies. I feel like once you get over 9x7 in the brilliant moissanite, they do start looking very splintery and a little less natural. I don’t prefer white gold because it is shiny and needs dipping. For the top of a setting though, you won’t have to dip it as often and it is probably fine.

Yeah, I don’t wear a band anyway so I could go with basket (as opposed to trellis), especially if that’s closer to what she has.
Any reason you recommend lab diamonds for the side stones, and not moissanite? And thanks on the advice about platinum, I hadn’t even thought about it-and certainly don’t wanna deal with any redipping with white gold..

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I don’t wear a band anyway so I could go with basket (as opposed to trellis), especially if that’s closer to what she has.
Any reason you recommend lab diamonds for the side stones, and not moissanite? And thanks on the advice about platinum, I hadn’t even thought about it-and certainly don’t wanna deal with any redipping with white gold..

I think that all sounds good. I don’t know how many moissanite’s you have seen in person? They have great sparkle in dim light and we read about It’s higher refractive index. I just don’t see the sparkle in all lighting situations like I might from a diamond. I don’t mind them for center stones but I do feel like they can look a little more dead in daylight compared to diamonds. You get the white light return and a certain amount of depth or scintillation from diamonds that I don’t always see in moissanite. The price of the lab diamonds starts go up quite a bit once you get over 4mm. I believe that the MM ring has .50 carat side stones so it might be cost prohibitive and I am not sure what your budget is for this project. If this is a daily wear ring, I would have it made with lab diamond side stones and I think that helps the center look a little more diamond like.

This is just my opinion from looking at so many moissanites. I like to mix moissanite centers with diamond side stones or pave. I think it helps with the overall sparkle because I look at my rings almost always during daylight conditions. What’s important to me might be different to other people so you have to look at them to see how you feel about them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results