shape
carat
color
clarity

How bad is this bowtie in my 2.35 carat pear shape diamond? I need to figure out if i should exchange it or not.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like it's quite noticeable in terms of difference in sparkle - you go from a field of twinkle at the tip to a patch of no sparkle through the middle. Does it look like that all the time or only in some lights?

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Can you take a few more pics in different light? I’m so sorry, but I don’t love the cut of this one from the Pic you posted. I have a pear engagement ring and was super duper picky about the bow tie and trying to avoid the mushy facet effect. It can be very challenging!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
If bow ties bug you then this diamond is not the one. Sorry.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
I agree that is a very large bow tie. I think it will bother you when you wear it on your finger. There are much better pear diamonds out there. I've been looking at them recently too. Love the shape.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Can you take a few more pics in different light? I’m so sorry, but I don’t love the cut of this one from the Pic you posted. I have a pear engagement ring and was super duper picky about the bow tie and trying to avoid the mushy facet effect. It can be very challenging!

Ditto on the mushy facet effect and pears with no bow tie...very hard to find but they are out there. What's your opinion on this rare pear faceting with its FAT STAR 8 MAINS on this 2.4c GIA report? I've noticed some of the CVD LGD's look gray in the videos but this is a GIA G VS1. Would it have a gray tint? So check with the vendor on what it looks like IRL! Love this RARE facet pattern as it is like an old cut pear except with no open culet. Nice price too $3k.
In the photo it looks dark across the middle but in the video you don't see that at all....so possibly no bow tie! (since cut is king...Even with a slight gray tint, I would still choose this pear because of the cut...but that is just me.)

Last edited:

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
As far as "exchanging" this pear diamond. Most good vendors online have a free return policy so you do not have to be locked into this vendor for an exchange. You should be able to return it at no cost to you. And then choose another vendor that has a better performing pear diamond. If you find another diamond that is better with another vendor see if your present vendor has the same stone. Research the best price for the diamond you are choosing and the vendor will most likely price match that very stone if they also show it in their inventory. Hope this helps. You just need to know that you are not necessarily locked into this vendor. IMO the vendor should have steered you away from this pear diamond.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Also, I've learned over the years from Jon at Distinctive Gem, when choosing a pear diamond or really any fancy cut (oval, cushion etc) you should try to find a stone with a smaller table and high crown. Table percentage in the MID 50% range is desirable. Also with fancy cuts to not go any lower than a G color as they tend to show more tint. Hope this helps with your search if you return your pear.

Also pear diamonds tend to hide inclusions well so a well cut, eye clean SI1 stone can be a really nice diamond and save you $$ from paying the higher cost of a higher clarity diamond.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Looks terrible.
The size is one issue, the duration through angular rotation is also important. If the dark zone flashes on and off then it can be a positive like the star pattern in Ideal-scope or hearts and arrows rounds.
The color and closeness of the camera/phone is an issue - make the distance and size about the same effect as what you see with your own eyes please.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
How to tell if your oval has a bowtie thread:

Saharjoon

Rough_Rock
I feel like it's quite noticeable in terms of difference in sparkle - you go from a field of twinkle at the tip to a patch of no sparkle through the middle. Does it look like that all the time or only in some lights?

Only in direct sunlight, I took it to 2 jewelers and they both said the cut has no issues

Saharjoon

Rough_Rock
Ditto on the mushy facet effect and pears with no bow tie...very hard to find but they are out there. What's your opinion on this rare pear faceting with its FAT STAR 8 MAINS on this 2.4c GIA report? I've noticed some of the CVD LGD's look gray in the videos but this is a GIA G VS1. Would it have a gray tint? So check with the vendor on what it looks like IRL! Love this RARE facet pattern as it is like an old cut pear except with no open culet. Nice price too $3k.
In the photo it looks dark across the middle but in the video you don't see that at all....so possibly no bow tie! (since cut is king...Even with a slight gray tint, I would still choose this pear because of the cut...but that is just me.)

Hmmm thank you, I'll take a look
The price is really nice

Saharjoon

Rough_Rock
I agree that is a very large bow tie. I think it will bother you when you wear it on your finger. There are much better pear diamonds out there. I've been looking at them recently too. Love the shape.

I took it to a couple of jewelry stores and they all said it's natural and it's a great diamond.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
I would trust Garry, the CutNut's opinion. But if it is pleasing to your eyes, that is all that matters. Can't wait to see how you set it.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Looks terrible.
The size is one issue, the duration through angular rotation is also important. If the dark zone flashes on and off then it can be a positive like the star pattern in Ideal-scope or hearts and arrows rounds.
The color and closeness of the camera/phone is an issue - make the distance and size about the same effect as what you see with your own eyes please.

tTake better photos. have some one take photos of you taking the photos
lots
So we know how bad the BT is

Saharjoon

Rough_Rock
Looks terrible.

20220626_153943.jpg 20220626_153825.jpg 20220626_153930.jpg

Saharjoon

Rough_Rock
Here are more photos and not in direct sunlight!
It's in natural day light by the window. I took them with different angles and distances as well.

Saharjoon

Rough_Rock

Added more photos with different angles to the comments.

Saharjoon

Rough_Rock
The bow tie is not persistent then?
Are you happy?
Wait so it was just a lighting issue? The darkness in the sunlight made me think it's a bowtie. And yes I'm super happy now I know I assumed wrong. And thanks again for the input Garry .

joey_v

Shiny_Rock
Based on my experience, that diamond does not demonstrate a significant bowtie. A lot of times, it's in certain light, indoors, low ceiling, where the bowtie is a result of your own reflection.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results