shape
carat
color
clarity

how bad is a feather in a diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
is it just a no no-anywhere?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
feathers are not uncommon at all.

it depends on the placement.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
mara:

just found out about a stone and its Evs1 but it has a feather...............how is it possible to be VS1 and have a feather?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would likely be a little baby feather. You don''t need to worry about VS1. It would be difficult to see with a loupe, so they say.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
feathers are not unusual...if it''s a VS1 and it has a feather i wouldn''t worry. i''m sure my SI1 has feathers too. clouds, feathers, pinpoints i tend to think of as the most common inclusions. as long as it''s not a feather reaching the girdle i wouldn''t worry. and if it does reach the girdle then if they can hide it next to a prong that would probably be safest to keep it from getting knocked.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
feathers are likely the most common inclusions.
As long as they arent open they are fine.
Even an open vs1 feather wouldnt be a huge issue depending on placement.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
WS,
Are you going to show us some pics anytime soon?? Ideal scope images, etc???

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
If a feather is surface reaching, it becomes a serious consideration because it has the potential to open and grow. A feather is a break in the crystal structure and even some that are internal can open or spread

Rockdoc

CJS924

Shiny_Rock
I had feathers right near the girdle of my current stone, and low and behold, that area chipped right off (no surprise). So...I''m currently getting a replacement stone.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2006 11:27:56 PM
Author: CJS924
I had feathers right near the girdle of my current stone, and low and behold, that area chipped right off (no surprise). So...I''m currently getting a replacement stone.

What clarity grading was it?

Sorry to hear about this, but hopefully it is insured.

Rockdoc

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
We chipped a 0.64ct with a vS2 grade making feather at the girdle diamond 2 weeks ago.
It had a feather so close to the chip - less than 10th of the upper girdle facet away from a surface reaching feather, But there was no damage associated with the feather.

I do not believe, and after 30 years experance - have yet to see real examples of damage associated with inclusions of any type.

CJS924

Shiny_Rock
RockDoc - It's an SI2...and yes, the jeweler is replacing it for me. I had two large feathers right along the girdle and one day, my diamond essentially crumbled! I took my ring off before heading to the gym, and when I picked it up later to put it back on, that portion of the girdle crumbled in my hands. Not a clean chip off...definitely crumbling. Needless to say, our jeweler was very surprised. Especially since I'm very gentle with my rings.
40.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2006 2:18:49 PM
Author: CJS924
RockDoc - It''s an SI2...and yes, the jeweler is replacing it for me. I had two large feathers right along the girdle and one day, my diamond essentially crumbled! I took my ring off before heading to the gym, and when I picked it up later to put it back on, that portion of the girdle crumbled in my hands. Not a clean chip off...definitely crumbling. Needless to say, our jeweler was very surprised. Especially since I''m very gentle with my rings.
40.gif

SI-2''s with feathers at the edge, can do what this one did.

A lot of people "make light" of this but the possibility of it happening exists.

Rockdoc

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Garry has anyone told you you look a little like Taylor Hicks?
10.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
People have different tolerances when it comes to color, clarity, girdle, or any characteristics of a diamond. I, for one, don''t care for feathers that are pronounced and close to the girdle. Nearly all the stories I have heard of chipping, cleaving, etc have come from the result of a feather. I would prefer an inclusion to a feather.

That said, in a VS1 - it may not be a problem. Where is it and how big is it? Also, I''m a bit out of the loop (or loupe) - Is this an EC?

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
looking at cushions and EC''s --two promising ones both have feathers................whats ups with all the feathers?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2006 10:28:41 AM
Author: windowshopper
looking at cushions and EC''s --two promising ones both have feathers................whats ups with all the feathers?
My crazy thought - either they are extremely common or dealers tend to want to buy stone w/ feathers (as the clarity issue) b/c they tend to be more "unseen".

Can''t really talk about cushions - but EC''s need to be really clean & better color. EVSI sounds like a really nice combination. If the feather bothers you, have it checked. In the end, something''s got to give. In a VS1 stone, good chances are it''s not an issue.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2006 12:00:40 PM
Author: fire&ice

Date: 5/28/2006 10:28:41 AM
Author: windowshopper
My crazy thought - either they are extremely common or dealers tend to want to buy stone w/ feathers (as the clarity issue) b/c they tend to be more ''unseen''.

Can''t really talk about cushions - but EC''s need to be really clean & better color. EVSI sounds like a really nice combination. If the feather bothers you, have it checked. In the end, something''s got to give. In a VS1 stone, good chances are it''s not an issue.
thanks for the feedback

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results