shape
carat
color
clarity

How are things in your neck of the woods?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
It’s been kind of crazy in my area. I think my neighbor shot someone. There’s been an number of shootings on the news near us when I checked today... it seems higher than usual. We’re pretty close to Seattle so shootings aren’t super uncommon but come on.

Curious to know if it’s a trend. Are people getting cooped up?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's pouring and freezing today. I'm about to leave the house to walk the dog in my star pajama pants after consulting my 7yo who thinks it's perfectly passable. It's too cold to change pants so the neighbors will be seeing a lady in pajamas with a golden retriever and a faux fur hat.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think people must be going stir crazy by now! It's not uncommon for mental health to be affected severely by isolation so I do feel for them although shooting people is no excuse...

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
nothing really unusual happening here as far as increased violence other than DV which has been higher pretty much everything else is down.
A lot of people are starting to get out more. Sadly over half are not following precautions.
The infection rate is still going down in my area.

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am beginning to get a bit annoyed with the phased lifting of restrictions in England.
When lockdown began in March 2020, it was clear to me what I could and could not do, and was OK with the restrictions.
Whereas the gradual lifting of restrictions, some of the new measures are confusing to me, like the so-called bubbles. And some do not appear to be logical or based on scientific evidence.
The latest is the requirement to wear face covering in shops from 24 July, whereas people can go to pubs without. :roll2:
On top of that, there are people who blatantly ignore the rules and restrictions, and get away with no consequences.

I shall continue to stay away from the crowds as much as possible, to continue to keep my distance from people, while trying to get on with the new normal that is evolving all the time.

I have just ordered some washable face covering as I only have a small supply of disposable masks.

Life goes on, and I am going to do my best to ride above the chaos!

DK :confused2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
We were awoken this morning to domestics from next door
we both said if we had children we would be doing everything possible to get them out of there
as it was poor old Tibby was sound asleep on the bed and got a dreadful fright at the shear volume
I went to call the fuzz but my phone was flat
im so sick of it

Other than that its wet and cold today

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our block has been peaceful so far. Neighbors friendly but respectful and it has been a calm haven in the midst of craziness all around. We are at the shore and the beaches and boardwalks are mobbed beyond belief. More crowded than a holiday Sunday summer afternoon. Every single day. I think it's because many are still out of work or underemployed and they have nowhere to go but the beach because the weather has been lovely for the most part. Hot and sunny. The one place I would not go now is the beach because it isn't safe. There is not enough room to social distance and hardly anyone is wearing masks.

I am sorry for all those experiencing family difficulties on top of the pandemic and unemployment and being at home more. Very troubling.

Last weekend NJ's infection rate went over 1. This past weekend I think it was just under 1. My main concern is that our infection rate can only increase given the beaches and boardwalks here. And wave 2 here we come. Are we officially out of wave 1 yet?

jerseybechespandemic.jpg
As we cycled by...

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 6.03.16 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 6.02.53 AM.png

It's another beautiful day here. Hot, sunny and dry. And though it's a Tuesday my bet is the beaches will be mad crowded.
These photos were from yesterday.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live in a rural area nothing much different has happened here, the weather has been dry and warm so that has been nice.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uncertainty reins in my area about the schools possible in-person reopening. It’s a real conundrum with many vociferous opinions from both sides. It is very stressful as I work in the schools and I am worried...
I am also troubled about NYC, which I live near. The gun violence is very concerning and my DD lives there. :(

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty calm and normal around me. I live on the outskirts of a small city. Seems like mask wear is around 80%. Unfortunately, my county
has skyrocketed in covid cases since they lifted some of the lockdown requirements. The average age of infection is now 37 vs 57 (if I remember correctly).
So, I guess its good that its younger people getting it instead of the elderly (deaths are down).

We have not seen any unrest related to police/BLM/racism issues.

The biggest issue with the county right now is whats going on with school in the fall. The county is supposed to say at 9:30 am today so I'll be tuning in.
I think we have decided to do Virtual school. I would love our DD to go to school but we have been given 0 answers as to what happens if someone
in her class is positive. Will DD be home for 2 weeks on quartine? I don't want her to have to deal with the possible disruption every time someone
test positive, and of course, dont want her to get sick and bring it home to the family.

I guess we'll know after today.

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
I'm in Ontario, Canada. Our entire province had 116 new cases yesterday, so we are keeping our numbers down. This Friday most of the province will move into phase 3 of our re-opening plan (not where I live, though). That means playgrounds will reopen, the cap on gatherings increases, etc.
My husband is still out of work and is looking at starting a whole new career. He works in theatre and we aren’t expecting that there will be live theatre for a very long time.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in Ontario, Canada. Our entire province had 116 new cases yesterday, so we are keeping our numbers down. This Friday most of the province will move into phase 3 of our re-opening plan (not where I live, though). That means playgrounds will reopen, the cap on gatherings increases, etc.
My husband is still out of work and is looking at starting a whole new career. He works in theatre and we aren’t expecting that there will be live theatre for a very long time.

Hugs to you and DH. I hope he qualifies for CERB.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Things are weird where I live. Every night since June there have been window-rattling fireworks going off with no let up in sight. Governor Newsom has rolled back reopening strategies for the entire state. California is releasing 8,000 inmates to "ease the CV crisis". Cases have really spiked in the 18-24 and 25-34 age groups since the June 1st protests. This is frightening because they are out and about more than older folks are, which is surely going to lead to more community transmission. This sounds like a vicious cycle to me. Health officials are getting death threats and resigning over masking requirements. The Orange County Sheriff has mandated a "catch and release" program for low-level offenders to avoid putting more people in jail, which has in turn led to stories of people being arrested multiple times per day or per week locally due to lack of punishment, which in turn has led to higher than normal car break-ins and package thefts in my area. My husband went to CVS yesterday and saw two people shoplifting, out in the open, right in front of him. He told the manager what he had witnessed and she just shrugged her shoulders and said there was nothing she could do. It feels like a sh!t show out here, with no end in sight.

The piano I bought to entertain myself and relieve stress sits untouched. I feel too worked up to play it. All I can say is that I'm really glad I have my contactless work to focus on. If I didn't have that, I think I'd be going mad at a much faster pace.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in the GTA and we're stuck in phase 2 for a while longer, but I'm not taking very many chances. I think we should get toilet paper again now. We are almost through our 40 rolls, lol. I do think we're going to have another wave. I'm just glad our heat wave ended, even if briefly. I'm so happy I got a bird to keep me company. He's a 12 hour a day barrel of fun.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
The only thing happening up here in the woods in my tiny town a while back- apparently this spring there was one of our long term 'summah people' who kept coming and going back home to their state(major hotspot at the time) from their vaca house on the lake...during the mandatory quarantine of 14days for out of staters...after people in town gave him gentle reminders at the local gen.store.(yes, in a tiny town you know everybody) He ignored them. So, some locals decided to bring him some huge logged trees, brought them in one of the giant trucks(we have two logging operations here) and blocked off the entrance to his house by building a log wall pyramid at the end of his drive...while he was at the vaca home. To give a friendly, neighborly, tongue in cheek, decidedly Maine message. Then they convened at the general and waited for him to come on down for a chat. They all had a good laugh. They picked up the logs. He obeyed quarantine after that.:lol:
Otherwise, it's still quiet like always. We're all pensive here because Maine is called Vacationland for a reason. It's summah now. LOTS of out of state plates. Locals are steering clear.
mainevacationland.jpg
We also have a small segment of local arseholes who won't mask up in town. They do to go to the grocery store in the 'big' town but not our local little store. We have many older folks(most are these yahoos relatives!)who live here. Not cool. Being rural isn't protection from the inevitable...just a delay.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s been kind of crazy in my area. I think my neighbor shot someone. There’s been an number of shootings on the news near us when I checked today... it seems higher than usual. We’re pretty close to Seattle so shootings aren’t super uncommon but come on.

Curious to know if it’s a trend. Are people getting cooped up?

You must live in the same general corner of a state that I do! I'm in the Seattle east side area.

Things are crazy. Too normal in some ways and very unusual in other ways. DH has been out a couple of times since February to drive me for dental procedures and he has also commented on the odd combination of he two.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our block has been peaceful so far. Neighbors friendly but respectful and it has been a calm haven in the midst of craziness all around. We are at the shore and the beaches and boardwalks are mobbed beyond belief. More crowded than a holiday Sunday summer afternoon. Every single day. I think it's because many are still out of work or underemployed and they have nowhere to go but the beach because the weather has been lovely for the most part. Hot and sunny. The one place I would not go now is the beach because it isn't safe. There is not enough room to social distance and hardly anyone is wearing masks.

I am sorry for all those experiencing family difficulties on top of the pandemic and unemployment and being at home more. Very troubling.

Last weekend NJ's infection rate went over 1. This past weekend I think it was just under 1. My main concern is that our infection rate can only increase given the beaches and boardwalks here. And wave 2 here we come. Are we officially out of wave 1 yet?

jerseybechespandemic.jpg
As we cycled by...

It's another beautiful day here. Hot, sunny and dry. And though it's a Tuesday my bet is the beaches will be mad crowded.

@missy
I've been wanting to go down one day this week. it doesn't look good though :(
I can't tell by the pictures what town that is, but I have an idea of your area so....
I'd been thinking that weekdays would be okay. Guess not.
Thank you for sharing the bad with the good.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy
I've been wanting to go down one day this week. it doesn't look good though :(
I can't tell by the pictures what town that is, but I have an idea of your area so....
I'd been thinking that weekdays would be okay. Guess not.
Thank you for sharing the bad with the good.

Hi KaeKae as much as I’d love you to come down the shore I definitely recommend staying away. It’s truly mayhem here. And the traffic Oy Oy Oy.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy

I'm working summer school, too, so I can't leave early enough to try to stake out a big area for distancing. Sigh. Maybe next year!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy

I'm working summer school, too, so I can't leave early enough to try to stake out a big area for distancing. Sigh. Maybe next year!

Yes next year and maybe we can get together and enjoy ice cream at our favorite ice cream shoppe. Stay safe and well. ❤️

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy
It's a date! See you in 2021 :wavey:

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Reporting from Sweden, where cases are decreasing. We were obviously never really in any lock-down, but people seem to slowly starting to behave like normal again. Except for no hugging and keeping 1.5 m distance... I work at a university and teaching will continue to be given from home/distance after our Summer break.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
47th street look exactly as it did a year ago- tons of people standing around ( many not masked) smoking ciggs and BS'ing on the street. Although there's plenty of retail, street level stores that are gone- the wholesale market is pretty hot.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here in NW Arkansas, it's slow as usual. Most of the restaurants and shops in the small town near us are open. It's a touristy place so we only go on weekdays when there aren't that many people about. Masks are required to enter businesses, distancing is practiced for the most part. We only go to town once a week or so. It feels pretty safe. But we have been here since March and my kids are starting to hate it. We will probably go back to Houston in early August (just in time for the dog days!) I am quite scared but we really can't stay here forever. Online school starts in August and it is very hard to maintain a schedule here. We are always on lake time!

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
We are doing great here in Cupertino, CA. No ANY kind of protests. I don't check our numbers however. Maybe they are much higher since some businesses and malls started to reopen. I simply don't trust the numbers our government provides. We always wear masks while shopping at stores and we are never wearing them while walking our dog outside, we need a fresh air. However, we keep our distance from other people as far as possible. We have a small group of neighbors, white persons in their mid/late 70th (same 5-6 people with the same dogs OFF leash in a public park) that never wear masks and always walk/stay very close together. Often other younger fellow dog owners without masks join them and spend happy time together. One of them is our Yale Law School graduate neighbor, lady in her 40th (IMO), former member of the Cupertino Public Safety Commission. So when I started reading this thread today, I immediately decided to check on her recent posts on Nextdoor. What can I say? We never ever saw this lady wearing a mask, we often see her spending time (walking, talking, joking, laughing, touching, playing with dogs) with a group of senior citizens. She has 2 kids and they are teenagers (14 and 16 maybe or little older). Does she know REAL numbers and behaves accordingly? She wrought on March 23 that she works with ERs at some local community hospitals.

The younger generation in our family behaves more carelessly than my husband and me. They are not partying outside of immediate family but they often allow several other kids to play with ours and socialize (always the same kids). My DIL has a PharmD degree, she is smart and educated.
IMG_2116 (2).JPG

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband went to CVS yesterday and saw two people shoplifting, out in the open, right in front of him. He told the manager what he had witnessed and she just shrugged her shoulders and said there was nothing she could do. It feels like a sh!t show out here, with no end in sight.
Nothing is against the law in Ca. If you are a career criminal come to Ca. b/c there will be no jail time serve for crimes.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nothing is against the law in Ca. If you are a career criminal come to Ca. b/c there will be no jail time serve for crimes.

Same here in manhattan. It got so bad that Duane reade locks up the candy and now closes early evening (used to be 24 hour). Undesirables help themselves to what they want neglecting to pay for the merchandise. The police have been told not to respond. Thank you mr. mayor.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

jerseybechespandemic.jpg
As we cycled by...

OMG.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I run, I see plenty of people without masks. I don't "social distance". I run across the street. And when people are on both sides of the street, I run down the middle of the street, till I'm a good 20 feet from a breathing human. And I have my mask. I can't control other people, only myself.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another plug for NW Arkansas. WalMart, which is based here, just made masks mandatory for entry into any WalMart or Sam's Club. Sometimes I think WM gets a bad rap but this is definitely progress.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results