shape
carat
color
clarity

How are the akoya strands from PP compared to Mikimoto?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! DH and I want to buy an employee a nice present for all of her hard work. She is dying for a Mikimoto pearl necklace, which unless she wins the lottery, she likely will never be able to purchase. Mikimoto is very far out of our price range for this, so I looked at pearl paradise.

I assume M must use the greatest, best, most awesome pearls available. What about PP? Can they compare? How do they compare?

I am little worried about using PP because it seemed they have sent posters here the wrong products before. I have never been into pearls, so I have no idea what an akoya looks from any other pearl.

Does anyone have insight or suggestions? Thanks.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
I'm quite sure that PP's highest quality akoya (hanadama and even possibly AAA) would exceed the quality of Miki's lowest grade pearls.

As to whether PP's hanadama match Miki's highest grade? I don't know. I've read that Miki's pearls are Hanadama grade but I'm not sure whether all of their akoya pearls are, or only the highest grade.

Some information on Hanadama pearls from the Pure Pearls website:

The luster and orient on Japanese Hanadama Akoya pearls is certified to be the very highest and strongest of all Akoya pearls. These attributes are analyzed and certified to meet specific levels set by the Pearl Science Laboratory of Tokyo, Japan. The PSL is the foremost authority on Hanadama pearls, and the only official Hanadama grading lab in the world.

But of course not all Hanadama pearls are equal, some will be more exceptional than others. Similarly, some AAA pearls could be Hanadama quality (just not certified).

I suggest you google "Mikimoto vs Hanadama" and read the first link that comes up.

Sorry for the disjointed post, I'm on a train!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
IMG_6971.JPG This is a different necklace but it had options.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Mikimoto AAA strands are beautiful, but extremely expensive. The lower grade Mikimoto pearls are ok, but you are paying for the brand name rather than the pearl quality at that point.

I have never bought Akoya pearls from Pearl Paradise, so I can't speak to how they compare to the Mikimoto AAA pearls in terms of quality, but others who have bought Hanadama pearls from Pearl Paradise have been very happy with them.

I have, however, made many purchases from Pearl Paradise in regard to other types of pearls (white south sea and Tahitian strands) that have compared beautifully to other high end jewelry store offerings. They've never sent me the wrong thing and the few times when there have been issues (i.e., returns, repairs, etc.), they have been gracious and responsive. They also have a very generous return policy (90 days no questions asked), so you'd not be at any risk of buying something, taking it to compare with what is on offer at Mikimoto, and then deciding.

Another option if she loves the Mikimoto brand might be to buy a single pendant or a pair of earrings rather than a strand.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
You can even get their off brands at jewelry stores.
miki..JPG

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Oakgem and Beladora have MM pearls, Estate of course. Worth a look, although for a gift I can understand wanting original packing, etc. that comes with buying retail.

cheers--Sharon

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a bit like Tiffany having the "best" diamonds, in my opinion- not necessarily the case! Have you looked at top quality freshwaters instead? I decided to go with the Freshadama range- they are solid nacre compared to the akoyas, which are a bead covered with a very thin layer of pearl. Even the Hanadamas only need to have something like 0.4 mm.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They came today. I started a new thread (dur, forgot about this one!!!) they are shorter than I expected because I forgot with pearls, 18 inch sits at the base of the neck.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results