shape
carat
color
clarity

Hope I don''t blow this!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock

I went to work on Thurday at 10 am. After a long hour or so of mixing/making buffer, A-1 medium and mFC agar, I decided to retreat to the office (no desk, just a table) that I share with two other people. I sat down and heard a beep on my phone. Retrieving the phone from the dark abyss known as my bridal bag, I saw that I missed a couple of phone calls and a couple of voicemails were waiting to play into my ear.

After deleting numerous saved messages I finally reached the new-born messages. One was from Drew (like always) and the other was from a woman named Sue... from the Florida Dept. of..... Law Enforcement!!! They were calling to set up a time to interview for the position I applied for!! I almost fell down. I immediately called back, but the person had already gone to lunch..

Now's the time to start calling friends and family....

After an hour and a thirty minutes of talking to everyone, I tried to call to set up the time again (with my cell battery on it's last leg).. When she answered I told her my name and that I was returning her call regarding the forensic technician position I applied for... She said it's NOT for that position and the actual title is Crime Analyst! Now, I could be wrong, but I believe that position is two levels higher than the one I applied for!! I immediately set up a time in between hyperventilating and wanting to throw up...

So there you have it friends... I have made it one step closer to having one of my dream jobs... I have a week and a half to prepare for this interview... And I still can't breathe...

So, the countdown begins....

10 days remaining until my interview........

32.gif

ETA: Know what would be totally funny? If I land this job, I'll be making more than my fiance (salary range for this job is between 40 and 60 a year!). He has 5 years experience with the federal government under his belt and has had two or three full-time jobs.. This will be my first full-time job ever and I have zero experience! Unless you wanna count the 6 months or so I've been working in my lab, but it's not the same field. What I really would like for them to do is hire me under trainee status so I can go through their training program. One, because I will be properly trained in this field and two, they will require me to sign an agreement stating I will remain with them through the program and for two years after completion (job security!!). It's less pay during the program, but I don't care, whatever it takes.. I WANT THIS JOB! Posting this on here won't affect my karma will it?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wowee!!! Good luck to you!!! Keep us up to date!!!

Deb :)

Erin

Ideal_Rock
That''s fantastic news!!! With all the spreading of joy you should probably start packing your cell charger when you leave the house. I was hoping your story didn''t end with "Okay so your interview time is BEEP <---sound of cell dying."

Congratulations and Good Luck!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, how exciting!!! Good luck!! I''ll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you. Plus I''ll knock on wood for good measure!!
9.gif

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
This interview is such a big deal for me... I know that lots of you have big important jobs that people would kill for, so can anyone give me some advice? I''ve never had an interview for a job this big. HELP!

Ok, breathe Jenn... Breathe......

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
One thing you got right already - let them know that you are willing to learn
34.gif

Another advise would be to be clear that you understand this job requires tremendous attention to details and concentration.
My father is chemistry professor and he can drink coffee and think it''s a tee, but boy! is he particular in his lab!

Good luck!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
sounds like a fantastic opportunity! good luck
1.gif

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
goooooood luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Aphis: Good luck!! And that is such a great interesting job!! Please tell me you''ve read all the Patricia Cornwell books!! If not, I''ve got all of em''!!

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/9/2006 3:50:46 PM
Author: AmberWaves
Aphis: Good luck!! And that is such a great interesting job!! Please tell me you've read all the Patricia Cornwell books!! If not, I've got all of em'!!
Actually no, I haven't read any of her books. I haven't really had time to read any books in a while. I'm an avid CSI viewer though!
36.gif

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Aphis, I swear, the Kay Scarpetta series are the best.
28.gif
From the job you''re applying for (fingers are crossed, btw), I could tell you''d love the series. I''m being honest that if you want to read them (have TIME to read them), I''d totally send them to you..
28.gif
Good luck, btw.

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm, maybe I''ll stop by Books-A-Million and check it out. I have a co-worker who''s read her books and said that they''re pretty good up until the last three. Maybe I''ll look at one of her older ones then. I love curling up with a good book every now and then...

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Tell them that you''re confident and poised, that you know how to take initiative, but without overstepping your bounds...tell them that you are committed to working hard and being the best you can be!!! GOOD LUCK!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
Best of luck! What a great opportunity!!!

Other advice--be yourself and try to be calm and professional--take deep breaths. It really helps.

You WON"T blow this.

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for your great advice!!

8 days left and I totally broke down last night with fear. My fiance probably thinks I'm nuts. He's so comforting though. This is just such a big deal for me and I've never had anything this big and great happen to me. I just hope i get it all out before the interview...

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
What FANTASTIC news. I''m so excited for you. Don''t stress too much, if it''s meant to be you''ll get it, if it isn''t, then you won''t. BUT, give it your best shot!!! fingers and toes all crossed for you.

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
5 more days!!! I think I''m going to pass out....

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Aphisiglovessae, what an exciting field you''re getting into! Good luck! I hope you get it!

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone! I''ll be sure to keep you updated on what happens...

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
OMG, ONE MORE DAY!! I think I''m going to pass out......

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
GOOD LUCK!!
36.gif
36.gif
9.gif
You''ll do great!!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Break a leg, kiddo!! Let us know how it goes!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Congrats!!! I''m sure you''ll do great! Please do keep us updated!

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/18/2006 1:22:28 AM
Author: aphisiglovessae
OMG, ONE MORE DAY!! I think I''m going to pass out......
Stay strong, girl! You''re going to kick @$$ in that interview! Good luck!

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I forgot to tell everyone! I interviewed on the 19th. It went terrible, in my mind (I was so nervous my brain froze on some technical questions), and I wanted to kick myself! I knew all the answers when I walked in and when I walked out, but during the interview I felt like a complete dunce!

They called me a couple of days later and told me that only one or two people scored higher than me and they were internal. So they decided to promote within. I expected that when she told me that a couple of people from within were interviewing as well. But anyway, they asked me to interview again for the level 2 position. Since they will be promoting those people, they''re jobs will open up so I can hopefully get that! The salary is a little bit less (30K a year), but it''s REALLY good for someone straight out of college in my area. All my friends and colleagues are really jealous and my family is pretty happy. My fiance is thrilled! It''s a foot in the door, and I can always move up! The next interview is on the 3rd.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That sounds great. The level 2 job will definitely be a foot in the door and since they like to promote from within that's really good for you!!! Good luck on the 3rd!!!!
1.gif

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Fantastic news, I''m delighted for you. The hardest part is getting your foot in the door, once you''re there the opportunities are more easily available. Good luck with the 3rd interview and let us know how it goes soon after. GOOD LUCK!!!

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I had my second interview this morning at 10. It was a lot less stressful. They didn't ask any technical questions this time. The supervisor said she felt that she tortured me enough last time. :) Most of the questions were personality questions about what kind of workplace I liked and the types of co-workers I liked and what I thought was most important in the workplace and in certain situations... I emphasized communication as number one with everything and I also said stuff about respect, self-control, and following protocol exactly. They looked at me like they really liked everything I said.

When all was done, they described the kind of person they're looking for and it sounded like EVERYTHING I had been saying the whole interview! I was so happy. In my mind I fit the mold perfectly, but who knows. They are supposedly interviewing one person on Monday and then they'll call me on Tuesday or Wednesday to let me know if I was recommended for the position. If I am recommended, I have to go through a really long, extensive background check process (minimum 2 weeks). It'll probably be about a month before I can actually start working.

Keep those fingers crossed! How am I supposed to enjoy the Super Bowl now when I'll be anxious about this job?!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like it went very well!!! I have my fingers and toes crossed for you!!! Good luck!!!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results