shape
carat
color
clarity

Hope Chest

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

elephant

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone have a "hope chest?" I just read an article in the Wash. Post about hope chests and I don''t have one and I kinda wish I did....

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for posting about that, i just read the article. Here is a link for anyone else.

I dont have a hope chest (nor does FI, hee hee!), but we have both been given family heirlooms, mostly to help us furnish our townhouse. I see that has a bit of a hope chest...one that leads up to our wedding. Kinda like a chocolate advent calender for Christmas!
9.gif

Layne

Shiny_Rock
I have one- it is still at my parents after 2 years of marriage! It is a lovely Amish made chest. I never used it to store the dishes and silverware my grandparents bought me - it has old year books and such. I do love it and hope to move it to our home when we buy one.

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
what a nice article! for years my mother kept things in her hope chest for my sister and I. when I graduated college Mom & Dad bought me a hope chest of my own, gave me the things she had been saving and then I sarted accumulating things of my own- I used to buy baby clothes and fancy sheets, kept my scrapbooks, bridal mags and e-ring inspiration photos in there (long before the internet.) after my wedding, it held all my wedding stuff and after my divorce it was cleaned out to hold family photos, my postcard collection, things from some beloved people & pets who have since passed on- many important things!

not to hijack this thread but a hope chest played an important role in my parents'' courtship-engagement: they were childhood friends- her parents'' vacation home was in my dad''s hometown. her older brother was the same age as my dad, so they all spent summers together. in her early teens my mom was "forced" to double-date because my dad had a car and her brother did not- if my uncle wanted to go out on a sat night, he had to have my dad drive and of course begged mom to keep him company! they did this casual dating thing until my dad joined the army. I guess absence does make the heart grow fonder because when my mom turned 18 dad proposed. she said no, her parents thought she could do "better" and she was off to nursing school to play the field!

after a year or so, my dad came home & got a job- they still casually dated when possible. on one date my mom was telling my dad while they were window shopping that if she ever got engaged she would want not only a ring but a hope chest with the china she wanted and the flatware she wanted and a few other things. he asked her again and she said no.

during her last year of nursing school she was working at a hospital maternity ward and she was playing a game w/her fellow students where they would guess which men coming off the elevator were married to which women. the game then evolved to "if you were in the maternity ward, who would want to see getting off the the elevator." and of course mom realized it would be my dad
30.gif

so she called him and just said "yes" and he knew what she meant and told her he''d be there in 4 hours. when he showed up at her dormitory he not only had her dream ring (1 ct tiffany-style solitaire) but her hope chest, her china, her flatware and stationery with her soon-to-be married name- he was so sure she was THE ONE that he started shopping even after she said no the second time!

and he turned out to not only be a great husband but the world''s best daddy
9.gif

thanks for indulging my favorite love story!

elephant

Shiny_Rock
FFF -- I LOVE, LOVE that story!!!

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/12/2005 2:59:43 PM
Author: elephant
FFF -- I LOVE, LOVE that story!!!
thanks, elephant! that''s very sweet of you & I hope you get a hope chest of your own, all us ladies should have them!

and I need to add that of course throughout my life watching the way my dad treats my mom sets the standards so high no guy can compare!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
awww!! FFF, thanks for sharing. that is soooo sweet
1.gif
your dad sounds wonderful, and i don''t think it''s a bad thing that he caused you to set such high standards

i don''t have a hope chest; i''ve never really heard of them until now..! but it sounds really nice. i guess i''ll have to plan to do them for any future daughters. bf and i do have lots of things that belonged to his gram though that are really special to both of us.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have an official hope chest.. My older sister did, so I feel especially gipped.. lol.. However.. in the last year or so I have been collecting lots of things for my first home.. an everyday dish set, some basic pots and pans, pictures and decorations and stuff..and there are lots of things I am goign to inherit from my mom as well.

JessesGrl

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have a Hope Chest but my mom has been collecting things and keeping them in her walk in closet on a special shelf...at first i though it was weid being 15 and having mom buy baby stuff, wedding stuff, ect...but now I think it''s sweet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results