shape
carat
color
clarity

Honeymoon Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tracy458

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have any ideas for romantic, fun places within the continental U.S. (or maybe Canada) for a honeymoon? We are afraid to stray too far away since my fiance''s parents are elderly and not in great health. Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks.

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Before I make any suggestions - what time of year will you be taking your honeymoon? Are you mountain people? Or beach people? Or have no particular preference? On a small budget or the sky''s the limit?

tracy458

Rough_Rock
sorry, good questions! We are really flexible - don''t necessarily want to sit on a beach the whole time but some of that is fun. We like to shop, eat, have some cocktails, sightsee, pretty flexible. We''d be going in October of this year. As far as budget, we can''t spend a fortune, but considering we were going to go to Germany before the health developments, we have some leeway. Thank you.

bar01

Brilliant_Rock

Hello fellow Chicago person !

Here are just a few ideas for fall vacations in the midwest:

The American Club (Kohler Resort in Wisc). They have a food and wine event in late Cctober, and a nice spa.

Mackinac Island in Michigan

A little farther away - but not too far - is where we went for our honeymoon – Banff - http://www.wildnatureimages.com/Banff%20NP.htm

Lastly - This Place has been on my mind for some time - I love the Pacific Northwest.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
There are so many places!!! I would recommend the wine country in N. California--Napa or Sonoma. It's beautiful, relaxing, great restaurants and of course, wine tasting! There are tons of hotels and bed and breakfast type places to stay in. I once stayed at the Sonoma Mission Inn and Spa which was lovely but there are lots of other places to check out. You can also spend a few days right in San Francisco, my favorite US city after New York!

If you want to go to Canada, Montreal is great. It's a very easy city to get around in, they have lots of restaurants, it's quaint and it feels ALMOST European because everyone speaks French but they all speak English too! It's also a little less expensive to travel there because of the dollar so you can do some shopping and not feel guilty!

If you want to do the beach thing, there is always Miami or the Florida Keys. That time of year will probably be really nice down there.

I'll try to think of some more places. I love to travel!!

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
I agree wtih curly girl.

Northern California is gorgeous.. That is initially where FI wanted to go for our Honeymoon, but I had bigger ideas (europe)

I LOVE Montreal.. Quebec city is really cool too, but probably another 3-4 hours north. Both are very european.

There is also always Vegas.. always a good time.

regalada

Shiny_Rock
I also suggest Quebec City. My fiance and I spent a long weekend there in May of last year and loved it so much I found myself thinking I wished we had saved it for our honeymoon!

The old city is magical and very small, you can walk everywhere. The food was awesome and the atmosphere of the city was truly romantic. There were plenty of opportunities for shopping. It took us half a day to get there from the Washington DC area. Temperatures in October average 50 F in the daytime, though, so that might be a bit chilly.

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
I''m joining the general consensus here and suggesting wine country. Have you seen Sideways? My fiance had about zero interest in visiting Napa until we watched that movie and then he said it looked really pretty and it would be a fun trip. I have friends that spent their honeymoon in various California locations but mostly split between San Fansisco and Napa.

Quebec City is lovely too ~ I haven''t been but my stepdad''s sister-in-law is from there and I get to see pictures from her visits back home to see family and she recently moved back there.

Let''s see... Miami if you want to party? Palm Springs if you want luxurious pampering... There are so many beautiful areas in the East during the fall when leaves are changing...

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
Hello! Not sure what part of the country that you are aiming for, but there''s a place in upstate New York called the Sagamore that would be such a romantic ideal honeymoon place. www.thesagamore.com It''s close to Saratoga, NY and Lake GEorge NY - both scenic as well. You could even take a day trip up to Montreal, as it is only about 2.5 hours from there.

I have been to the sagamore in the fall, and even though itwas rainy and windy it was still breathtaking - lots to do in and around the tons there - everything from outlet malls to Great Escape, an amusement park - not to mention some hsirical stuff like Fort William Henry, and of course, the GORGEOUS LAKE ITSELF!!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I''m from close to Chicago land too, so I''m going to assume you want to go some place different than home. Do you prefer to vacation in a larger city or more rural area?

How about La Jolla California? Beautiful area, lots of fun food & boutique shopping plus close to San Diego''s other attractions. Also, you could do a driving vacation. Rent a convertible and stop and numerous places along highway 101.

October is still hurricane season for the east coast, but it depends on if you are doing early or late October. If later, Key West might be a good option. The Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area is also tons of fun.

If you are at all into looking at the colored leaves--most of New England will be beautiful in October. I used to live very near Saratoga/Lake George NY and the trip from Lake George to Montreal would be gorgeous if the timing is right. Also, Vermont & New Hampshire have beautiful colors and picturesque little towns. My experience with Quebec City in October is that you might need a winter coat--so just be prepared.

New Orleans could be fun too-- a culture, fun food, fun atmosphere.....

Also, many places in Texas--Austin, San Antonio......

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/22/2005 10:33:14 AM
Author: IslandDreams

New Orleans could be fun too-- a culture, fun food, fun atmosphere.....

Also, many places in Texas--Austin, San Antonio......
NEW ORLEANS!!!! How did I forget about New Orleans? I love New Orleans!!! I prefer it over Vegas.

And both Austin & San Antonio are great places to visit!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results