shape
carat
color
clarity

Honeymoon Hotel Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
My man and I are going to be honeymooning on the island of petite st. vincent in the caribbean. I''m completely excited and wish i was there right now!

because it''s sort of remote and not that easy to get to, we have to spend a night, on both sides of our trip, in Barbados (how rough).

I''m doing some research, but was wondering if any ps''ers had a barbados hotel recommendation?

Thanks in advance

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have any specific recommendations for you, but I use the fodors message boards all the time for travel research. I haven''t been led astray yet.

Go to http://fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=5 and use the search function. I typed in "Barbados hotel" and got lots of threads to read through. Once you find something that seems like it gets good reviews, go to www.tripadvisor.com and type in the name of the hotel in the search. Hopefully there will be lots of reviews by recent guests. These are the two tools I use the most in regular trip planning.

ky6

Shiny_Rock
I am a big fan of tripadvisor. I have used it for many vacations and have never been steered wrong. My FI and I are also doing Barbados and PSV for our honeymoon. We found a couple of our top choices were already booked (end of June). We did however book at a place that was a tripadvisor reccomendation- Coral Mist. It was VERY affordable and well rated on tripadvisor.

Tripadvisor should also help you determine an area of Barbados that you would like to stay on. The various coasts have various benefits (or downfalls).

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
ky6 -- What a coincidence!!! I think that PSV looks incredible and i can''t wait for the trip. are you very excited? when are you headed there?

thanks for the info on coral mist -- i''ll have to look it up.

ky6

Shiny_Rock
Lulu- I know! I had to go look up your wedding date after this to see if there was any chance we''d be there at the same time. But it looks like we will be there a couple of weeks before you. We are flying from Tulsa to Miami on June 20. Then we will stay the night in Miami and head to Barbados the next morning and go straight on to PSV. We are only staying in PSV 3 nights, then we will head back to Barbados for 5 nights. I am so excited I can''t see straight! I will have to get on here and let you know all the ins-and-outs and must see/dos before you go. Thank goodness for IslandDreams leading us both to PSV...I think it will be absolute heaven!

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
cheers to islanddreams
36.gif

when i saw her pictures, i knew that was the perfect place for us.

we both love the outdoors and we''re pretty active i.e. hiking, camping, biking, kayaking, etc. so for a while we tossed around the idea of an "adventure honeymoon" i still think that''s a wonderful idea, but something about lounging around on a sublimely beautiful island with my new husband just seemed perfect. i absolutely cannot wait!!! we''re flying to barbados for one night, then catching the charter plane over to PSV for 7 nights and then back to barbados for one more night. it won''t be too much time to explore barbados, but we''ll try to make the most of it. I''d definately appreciate any tips that you figure out and i''ll pass any on to you!

one question: are you going to wear your engagement ring on your honeymoon? i think that they have a safe in our rooms, but i''ll have to check on that. i''m very nervous i''d loose it...

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Wow--I've inspired 2 people to go to PSV. Too bad there wasn't a referral gift from Haze Richardson. My husband and I are already plotting a way to go back. In fact, for my birthday yesterday my husband framed one of our pictures from PSV....had it enlarged and everything.

I think I can help you both on Barbados accomodations.

Lovelylulu--Since you are only going to be on the Barbados one night each way you probably should stay closer to the airport. The St. Lawerence Gap area would work well. It's only about 15 minutes from the airport. We stayed at Coral Sands which was nice and clean. Not exactly a resort but it did have a very nice beach and was within walking distance of restaurants. Cost was very good for Barbados (we thought Barbados was expensive)....about $175 US per night.

KY6--Since you are staying several days, I'd recommend the west coast of Barbados. The beaches there are the very calm water and shell-free sand. The south coast (St. Lawrence Gap area) has more waves. This is where most of the upscale hotels are located.

I did a lot of research on Barbados and if both of you post the type of accomodations and price range you are interested in, I can dig through my research and give you some ideas. I'll watch this post to see if you ask questions.

Also, I did wear my engagement and wedding rings on my honeymoon. I had no issues at all on PSV. Barbados made me very nervous....they did have safes in the rooms and bars on the windows. I don't think I'd take my rings off other than to clean them. But, I couldn't imagine going on my honeymoon without my rings...get them insured and take them!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
When I was doing research there was a lady on one of the message boards that had a tip sheet for Barbados. Her name was Lois Swanson. Here is the version from last year when I was planning. Hope it helps:

INSIDER TIPS ON BARBADOS
for the 2004/2005 Season
according to Lois Swanson

We just completed our 19th trip to the island. The following is based on trial and error over the years and is my personal opinion. My husband and I truly love Barbados and hopefully this information will be helpful others. I am not a travel agent – just someone who loves the island. To read some reviews about hotels that I have recently prepared go to www.caribbeanedge.com Click on “Barbados”, then go to the hotels section and then “more” – I’ve done in-depth reviews for: Coral Reef Club, Settler’s Beach Villa Hotel, Rockley Plum Tree Club and Villa Nova.

One comment on accommodations – over the years we have stayed at various hotels and villas on the island to experience a variety and make each our trips unique. There are several places we’ve stayed at that would rank at the top of our list. The type of accommodation you choose really depends upon your unique likes and needs. On my tips sheet I try to let you know what we’ve enjoyed and what we’ve found to be a bad value so that you can make your own decisions in order to enjoy your visit to Barbados.

For most restaurants, hotels, villas, car rentals, if you mention Lois Swanson recommended, I know they’ll give you their best pricing/service.

Beaches

West Coast - very calm, though most beaches have pebbles going in and somewhat of a drop-off going into the water. It seems to get deep fairly quickly.

Paynes Bay on up to Mullins Bay provides the nicest beaches. Gibbs Beach is in this area - very quiet and picturesque. Also at Mullins you’ll find Mannie’s Suga Suga - a great beach bar with services (read more on this later). There are lots of great Hotels in this area.

South Coast - calmest water is at Sandy Beach in the Worthing/St. Lawrence Gap area. The east end of this area closest to the start of St. Lawrence Gap is the calmest with waves increasing as you go west. There is a brand new changing facility (open July 2003) with bathrooms and an outside shower to get the salt off you. Turn off the main south coast road at Guang Dong restaurant and follow that road to the beach for parking. There is also a car park farther down the road. Many nice hotels here as well.

East Coast - here you have the wild Atlantic with a coastline of coral cliffs – extremely picturesque with gorgeous scenery, but strong undertows in many areas for swimming.

Hotel suggestions (those I like and recommend):

West Coast: CORAL REEF CLUB - newly redone in 2003 - fantastic property - we toured the entire property as well as stayed there and were very impressed! Our suite was gorgeous and of all of the fantastic accommodations in Barbados, we can definitely recommend it as the ultimate. Great grounds and pool area (2 large pools) and nice beach. Typically they close for about 6 weeks during the summer to update the property, but in 2005 they will remain open the entire year (doing some updating while open) as they are renovating their sister property, The Sandpiper from 16 April to 1 November, 2005, adding some very luxurious suites and other things and that way Sandpiper’s guest can stay at Coral Reef if they so desire when that resort is closed. The beach at Coral Reef is wonderful. As it’s next door to Folkestone Marine Park, there is some great snorkeling just off shore. Also, the hotel offers complimentary windsurfing, snorkeling, kayaking and Hobiecat and Sunfish sailing.

Coral Reef’s Plantation Suites (there are 5 of these) – they are the ultimate in luxury and are absolutely gorgeous - they definitely compete with Sandy Lane. Prices off-season for this in 2004 is approximately $925/night. They consist of a bedroom with a four poster or canopied bed, very spacious living room, a dressing area and a large bathroom with a big walk-in shower (with seats) and separate tub - all air-conditioned. There is a large covered terrace with large dining table and an open sundeck area with a private pool which is 12 feet long and 9 feet wide. Featured in the living room are a fax machine, television, video player, CD player and a selection of CDs and videos. There is also champagne upon arrival and a complimentary starter bar.

Their Superior/Luxury Jr. Cottage Suites - fabulous also, go for approximately $320 - $495/night in 2004. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in one of their luxury cottage suites (there are 13 of these) – we can highly recommend this. We had an upper suite and had the entire upper floor of cottage building which is on the front half of the property near the sea. These Suites have a dressing area and en-suite bathroom with marble-topped double sinks, separate walk-in shower and soaking tub with hand-held shower plus a separate, very large air-conditioned living room that is nicely furnished that also has a sofa bed, and —We had 2 balconies – one a “breakfast balcony” where we enjoyed the best breakfast on the island served on a linen table cloth and delicious food. The other larger balcony had lots of seating and the best part -- a large private plunge pool! You will want to stay here forever!

We also toured some of the other types of accommodations such as garden rooms, junior suites and villas. Some of their luxury junior suites are on the water and some have ocean views; their superior junior suites are to the back of the property – these have a sitting area within the bedroom. Some of their superior garden rooms can adjoin to a superior junior suite to provide a 2-bedroom accommodation. Their garden cottages consist of 2 separate garden rooms that are contained in a totally separate building for more privacy. All of these accommodations are more affordable than the Plantation Suites and the Luxury Cottage Suites, but are nicely decorated and are well-worth the money. We had the meal plan during our stay, and the restaurant’s food was fantastic – really gourmet, a definite treat!

Royal Pavilion (a Fairmont property) just reopened in October 2003 after multi-million dollar refurbishment. Royal P. is an adult-oriented resort and has new opulent oceanfront rooms that have full Internet access, DVD players and 27” flat screen TVs, and all marble bathrooms. We toured this in July 04 and it’s fantastic. All rooms have a sea view. There are elevators in the building if you are on an upper floor. Great balconies with drapery to block the sun if you want some shade. Also on the grounds are new water fountains and a redesigned pool area (with a Jacuzzi) with unparalleled views of the Caribbean.

Glitter Bay (also a Fairmont property) - Beautiful grounds and pool area, but the regular hotel units are really in need of lots of updating. Some condos may be a better choice here.

Recent updates as of July 14, 2004 regarding Glitter Bay and Royal Pavilion: Fairmont Hotels & Resorts sold the Fairmont Glitter Bay in Barbados to a group of investors for approximately $31 million. Glitter Bay to be managed by Fairmont as the Fairmont Glitter Bay. The new owners intend to renovate and further develop the property. (side note – this definitely needs to be done!!)
Fairmont's CEO, said the hotel company would maintain ownership of the recently renovated Fairmont Royal Pavilion in St. James, Barbados, "as well as the adjacent block of undeveloped beachfront land, which has significant future development potential."
Sandy Lane - the ultimate in luxury (and the most costly) - including plasma TVs. Rooms average 900 sq. ft. - Off season an Orchid Room goes for $700 and an Orchid Suite $1,200

Colony Club - colonial style hotel - a little worn. Their new block is the nicest, so ask for this if you reserve here. You step down to a nice living room area and there is some marble in the bathroom. Their older units are not as nice. There is a nice lazy river type pool that winds around the property with a swim-up bar.

Treasure Beach on Paynes Bay (about 5 min. to Holetown) room décor is a bit dated.

Tamarind Cove Hotel could use some updating - small, rocky beach.

Coconut Creek - Derricks (West Coast) - was bought by some foreign investors - it will be dismantled and replaced with condominiums and single houses.

The House - we toured this property. It’s very New Age and stark -
not my kind of place. The feather bed gets great reviews I’m told. Prices off-season range from $500-$875/night for 2 - this includes room and full breakfast.

Inn On The Beach (Holetown) - Currently this has been gutted and is totally being rebuilt. It is being converted into villas to be known as Villas on the Beach. Not sure on the opening date but would expect it to be sometime late 2005.
South Coast
(Miami Beach area) - past Oistins
Little Arches - this was a wonderful find recently -
Here you will have a chance to discover intimate luxury a 2 min. walk away from Miami Beach - partly calm, partly rough waters. There are only 10 unique, luxurious rooms here so it’s a good, “get-away” location. - very romantic. Prices range from $195 - $269 off-season. The room we saw (#10) was gorgeous! Great restaurant too - Café Luna we tried it for lunch.

(Worthing Area):
Coral Sands Beach Resort (on Sandy Beach-a fantastic beach – calm turquoise waters). This property is gorgeous, all-suites, with nice kitchens - 4 yrs. old with a pool). This resort always gets fantastic reviews by people who have stayed there. Lift to all floors, 2 double beds in each unit, in-room safes and satellite TV; 15 min. from airport. Check out their website at: www.coralsandsresort.com

Oleander Apts. - just down from Coral Sands - no pool. 2 bedroom $170 off season, $270 in-season; one bedroom $115 - off-season, $150 in-season.

Southern Palms in The Gap - full resort. Its architecture is a blend of traditional and Barbadian design with lush, attractive gardens. Set on 1000’ of sandy white beach.

Escape at the Gap – ok beach in this area.

Budget accommodations:
Little Bay Hotel (upstairs over Bellini’s) - no pool

Yellow Bird - moderately priced at the beginning of the Gap (pool)

Rostrevor Apt. Hotel- good budget accommodation in the heart of the Gap
59 apts. -- only 28 of which are newly refurbished with a/c. No beach here.

Chateau Blanc Apartments on Sea - Budget accommodation (very basic and in need of updating, but on a great beach (no pool)). Off-season - 1 bedroom $90/night, 2 bedroom $120/night

Note on Sandy Beach Island Resort: as of this writing the resort is still operating, but is on the brink of bankruptcy. It is in the planning stages for conversion to a villa beach development offering “upmarket” condominiums for short and long-term rentals. There should be 65 luxury units when they are finished. They hope to start development in late 2004 or early 2005. Personally I’d be concerned about booking here until their new project is completed and then it should be fantastic.

(Maxwell Coast):
Bougainvillea Beach - gorgeous accommodations (all types) -
Water is a bit rougher here

Casuarina Beach Club - in Christ Church

Hastings Area:

The Savannah – The hotel is nice – especially the new section. Often used by business travelers as it’s close to the Garrison and Bridgetown. However, the beach there is not very nice – it’s very narrow with hardly any space for a beach chair. There is a nicer beach nearby – Carlisle Bay.

East Coast- Crane Private Residences - gorgeous property - some with private pools $380/night - spectacular beach, but strong undertow as it’s the Atlantic side. Good beach for body surfing and there is a cliff some people jump from into the sea. New building under construction so you may get a bit of construction noise. Pool is gorgeous but lots of people at it. Very far from most restaurants.

Note: Sam Lords has gone bankrupt and is no longer operating.

Inner Island Villa Nova - It’s one of the last of the island’s Great Houses (once the home of Sir Anthony Eden). It had a multi-million dollar refurbishment and new building and is now an exclusive luxury all-suite hotel that opened in 2001. There are only 28 suites here. This is a wonderful place to start your holiday in a peaceful place to unwind. We truly enjoyed our stay here. If you want to be pampered, Villa Nova is for you. This was our 2nd visit to this wonderful property that sits in the midst of sugar, banana and mango plantations. As you arrive at its entrance, if you drove a valet will park your car and then you enter the Great Room where you will fill out paperwork while enjoying a fruit punch.

The rooms are beautifully furnished and spacious each having a private terrace or balcony. On your first evening they will press your clothes for that evening complementary. The rooms have ceiling fans and are fully air conditioning. Depending upon the suite you select you will either have a sitting area or a full living room with entertainment center. The spacious bathroom has Victorian claw-foot tubs and walk-in showers. They have a large gorgeous pool. If you don’t have your own transportation, they can make arrangements for you to get to the sea. Breakfast , which was wonderful, is included and we enjoyed that with linen tablecloth on our balcony although we could have gone to their alfresco terrace restaurant. For lunch and in the evening, enjoy an excellent meal at their alfresco verandah restaurant. We even spotted 3 green monkeys scampering around when we enjoyed a delicious lunch. Before dinner we enjoyed drinks in their bar. They make a great rum punch from scratch.
Their new Té Spa hopes to open in Fall 2004. Set within a tangled rainforest of mahogany, mango and bearded fig trees, Villa Nova's Té Spa has been designed by internationally renowned professionals from the world of fitness and well being to set new standards of excellence for those seeking health, harmony and the rejuvenation of mind and body.

Villa Rentals For someone wanting privacy, with the wonderful amenities of an entire home and a staff to pamper you this is a good choice. We have had excellent results with Paul at Island Hideaways. You can find them on the net at: www.islandhideaways.com . They give you personalized service and make great efforts to find the perfect villa for your specific needs and desires. They have wonderful properties and the Island Hideaway staff visits frequently to be sure they know exactly what they are recommending to visitors. Villas can be very modest or very lavish – there is something for every budget so check it out before you book a regular hotel; you may be pleasantly surprised. Paul handles all islands in the Caribbean if you are considering other islands too.

With a villa your holiday is customized to your schedule, you will have plenty of room to spread out and privacy that will give you a chance to spend quality time with each other. It’s a great way to enjoy a reunion with family or friends, celebrate a special family occasion, have a wedding and reception, or enjoy a honeymoon. They are stylishly furnished and you typically have a cook and a maid/laundress. You can save money on costly restaurant meals and daily you can have your clothes laundered and pressed – it’s wonderful.

If you don’t want a private villa, try a villa on a resort property like Sandy Lane or Settler’s Beach -- Paul can book this for you. We tried Settler’s Beach this time and they are fantastic private villas with living rooms and full kitchens but if you like to socialize and have more activities, you will share the resort pool with others and there is no staff that are yours exclusively. Great beach here too. Also, at Coral Reef Club in either the Plantation Suite or the Luxury Cottage Suites – these are really like villas on a resort property. You can contact Paul Mermelstein or Jeanette Somers and tell them that Lois Swanson recommended them. They can be reached toll free at: (800) 832-2302 or (703) 378-7840, or by e-mail at: [email protected] What I particularly like is there is no pressure – they try to find the type of accommodation that will best suit your needs and your budget.

Reeds House - condo rentals - new building. Units are nice, some with very small plunge pools (you can stand in them), but beach is very small in this area and somewhat rocky.

Looking for a budget-priced villa? Check out SEABREEZE VILLA – Atlantic Shores: This a very moderately priced home in the residential area of Atlantic Shores. This villa has 3 bedrooms and 2 baths and can easily accommodate 6-8 people. The master bedroom has en-suite bathroom and the others share a shower room. Here’s a link where you will find some pictures: http://seabreezerentals.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
Seabreeze’s rates are US $100 per night for the villa in Low Season (15 April to 14 Dec) and US $110 per night for the villa during the High Season (15 Dec to 14 April). Optional extras such as maid/cook service is available at additional cost. It’s a nicely kept, budget-priced villa. It’s located 1 mile from Miami Beach; 1 mile from Oistens (fish fry); 1 mile from Silver Sands (known for windsurfing) and about 3 miles from the St. Lawrence Gap area. If interested in renting, contact Audrey Spooner at the following e-mail address: [email protected] Please let Audrey know you found out about this villa through my tips sheet.
Note: We are not fans of “all-inclusive” that’s why I don’t mention them. Typically they provide mediocre food - there are too many wonderful island restaurants to try to limit yourself to one place. However, Almond Beach Club does have a pretty property and is in a good location.

RESTAURANT NEWS:

For all you fans of Carambola Restaurant (one of our very favorite places), this restaurant will only be open through Mid-April 2005 and then will close permanently. I spoke with my friend Robin (the owner) and he told me business has been excellent, but he is ready to phase into something different after all these years.

Robin will build a block of condos on the site starting the end of January. At that time he will close 1/2 of the restaurant -- keeping the remainder open through mid-April 2005, and construction will begin. He did something similar when he owned Fathoms Restaurant a few years back and now there are 6 gorgeous condos on that site.

So if you want to enjoy a truly fabulous meal in a very spectacular setting, you better hurry to do so in these next few months. When booking let Robin know that Lois Swanson passed on this news.

PLEASE NOTE REGARDING FINE DINING RESTAURANTS IN BARBADOS:

Usually all of the Fine Dining restaurants have a dress code of “classy casual” which translates as follows: Men – long pants and collard shirts (usually no jacket or tie required); and for women: sun dresses, long dresses, dressy pants and top. Men should prepare accordingly and forget the shorts for the evening, or risk being turned away and as a result miss a fantastic dining experience.

RESTAURANT SUGGESTIONS:
West Coast Restaurants:

***The Cliff: Gourmet food in a stunning location. Table 50 (for 2) is in a prime spot. Others for 2 close to that would be #48, or 51 -- gorgeous view. (as close to the water as you can get). Best to make reservations in advance to be sure you get the type of seating you want. (246) 432-1922. It’s pricey- they recently started a prix fix menu for $75 US for 2 courses (starter and main), with desserts extra at $12.50 each plus your drinks, and gratuity (the VAT of 15% is included), so it can easily run you $250 US/couple with a moderate wine/drinks and gratuity. The cuisine is International/Caribbean. The service and food at this restaurant was excellent. As of 8/30/04, The Cliff is rated 28th in the world for the 50 Best Restaurants in the World for 2004 according to the “industry bible” – Restaurant Magazine.

***Carambola: The cliff-top location offers lots of seating along the rail by the cliff overlooking the Caribbean, which is light up at night so you can see the gorgeous water. You may be fortunate to see the stingrays which usually come by around 7 pm. The food is French cuisine with a Caribbean flair and a touch of Asian as well. Gourmet food and excellent service. Robin Walcott owns this restaurant and is frequently there to greet his guests & provide the best in everything. Almost as expensive as The Cliff, but again (VERY WORTH IT for the food, service & atmosphere) Phone: (246) 432-0832

***Calabaza: We tried this for the first time in 2003 and went back again in 2004 -- it was fabulous. It’s run by the former manager of The Cliff (Peter “Huggie” Harris). Be sure to tell them Lois Swanson recommended and you’ll get fantastic service. You can see the similarities. As you enter you walk down some steps past a waterfall. And there are flaming torches everywhere. Calabaza is of Moroccan architecture with vibrant colors. The view is magnificently Caribbean, as the restaurant sits on a low cut cliff, overlooking the beach and the sea. We had some delicious starters like Lobster & Pumpkin Bisque with ginger and chili oils and also the Oriental Salmon Gravalax with vegetable sushi rolls and peanut dipping sauce. Many delicious mains such as Herb crusted Tuna Loin with Orange glazed Fennel and plantain chips as well as Escalope of Pork Tenderloin stuffed with Plum compote and there’s always US beef available. Price for 2 with drinks and wine might be $100-$120 US/couple. Truly a memorable evening.

***The Tides: This restaurant is into its fourth season now and is run by Chef Guy Beasley -- it's excellent - went there for both lunch & dinner. Probably runs $60 US for lunch for 2 with a drink each and dinner might run $125-$150/US/couple.

Olives Bar & Bistro: The exciting new, young chef, Scott Ames uses local produce to create earthy Mediterranean and Caribbean flavors. It's in a quaint old Barbadian style building in Holetown. You can eat in their courtyard, or also enjoy indoor dining with air conditioning. They have gourmet pizzas here too. This time we were not as impressed with the food as we were when it was run by the former owner/chef, Larry Rogers, but it’s still very good. Phone: (246) 432-2112.

LaTerra -(New Location) - Chef Larry Rogers presents an imaginative menu that highlights Bajan and international delights. The stunning setting of La Terra with its soft billowing curtains and views across the Royal Westmoreland golf course is the perfect complement to the robust flavors of the dishes. We heard rumors this trip that the Chef may leave there in November and start another restaurant. I’ll keep you posted on this. Dinner is served Tues through Sat from 6:30 pm with a Sunday brunch from 12:30-3.

**Sassafras Wine Bar & Grill: In a wonderfully restored plantation house, just south of Holetown, Sassafras leaps apart from the status quo. The concept is refreshingly simple -- great food in a casual, laid-back style. A bistro atmosphere with impeccably prepared food that seamlessly merges the traditional and the contemporary. This restaurant, while not on the water, has gotten great reviews.

Restaurant at Coral Reef Club: This restaurant overlooks the Caribbean and is set in an open terrace. They have a great executive chef who has won honors for his cooking – Graham Licorish. They change their menu nightly and you can get lots of fresh seafood and Caribbean dishes with a French flair. We really enjoyed our meals here.

Cocomos is great for a moderately priced meal (water side) - probably about $30-$40 US/couple at lunch.

Mannie’s Suga Suga: The great beach bar is located at Mullin’s Beach. It has great food and drinks at very reasonable prices. It serves breakfast, lunch and dinner and snacks all of the time. Their menu has a lot of Bajan specialties to enjoy. It’s a great spot to watch the sun go down. You can even sit in a chair on the beach and put up a flag and a pamper person will bring you food/drinks. At this spot you will also find all water sports to enjoy. Parking is across the street.

Daphne’s: This was new in 2001 - a branch of the London-based restaurant. Open daily for lunch and dinner and located in the heart of the west coast. The menu is modern Italian. The decor has Asian overtones. Frankly, the way the restaurant is set up makes for a very warm evening. This ran us slightly over $100 US/couple. We were disappointed in the restaurant.

For the West Coast fans of Bombas (beach bar), that has now closed.

SOUTH COAST RESTAURANTS:

The Restaurant at Southsea - This was a fantastic new find this trip -Definitely a restaurant to be included on your “must-do” list in Barbados. Southsea is an exceptional restaurant that opened in November 2003 and already has been chosen as the Restaurant of the Year for 2004. It was also selected by the Conde Nast Traveler 'Hot Tables' as one of the best new restaurants in the world in 2004. It is located in The St. Lawrence Gap on the water side of the street.
There was some rain one evening we were there, and as we drove into their courtyard for valet parking, we were met by a gentleman with a large umbrella who escorted the women up the steps to the restaurant. You enter through a nice bar/lounge area where they have an exceptional wine and brandy selection, along with the Caribbean's most extensive vintage rum collection. Also starting at 8 in the evening there is a great piano player as entertainment.
Dinner is served on their veranda which has a distinctive blue awning over it – you never need to worry about rain here. This verandah provides an elegant seating area and they light up the sea 400 yards out. The owner, Alfred Taylor gave us a tour of the entire operation and we were very impressed. The traditional home has been transformed with elegantly modern interiors.
But what makes Southsea really special is Chef Barry Taylor's imaginatively conceived food - the menu is really unique. There were 6 of us who sampled unique starters such as grilled kangaroo, lobster tortellini and ostrich fillets, and an equally unique, gourmet menu of mains - all very delicious. This restaurant rivals west coast in ambience with their gourmet food. The service here was outstanding -- better than service at The Cliff, and they are more reasonably priced (our meals averaged about $55 US per person). We liked it so much we went there twice during our recent trip. Once you try it I know it will become your favorite island restaurant.
Champers: Situated right on the edge of the sea, Champers is bright and breezy and cool, making it a comfortable spot to eat - day or night, Lively bar ground floor with blackboard menu. Upstairs dining room has extensive menu and wine list. Busy for lunch any day of the week, it is always advisable to make a reservation.

Just Grillin - on the South Coast across from Accra hotel. Great simple grilled burgers, fish & chicken and grilled vegetables. For $20 US 2 people can eat with a drink each. If the owner (Francis) is there tell him we highly recommended.

Pisces: (Bajan/Seafood) – In The Gap - Moderately priced with a tropical décor that offers alfresco dining at the water’s edge. This time our food was disappointing.

Bellini’s: (Italian) - In The Gap area - moderately priced;

Harlequin – in The Gap – good family spot – reasonably priced.

Café Sol - a Tex/Mex restaurant (a bit pricey considering the type of food, but fun).

New in the Gap this time was Oceans Restaurant on the left just past Yellow Bird on the left (upstairs)—nice view of the water.

Pizza Man Doc - located on the Main road near the Gap- some great local-type pizzas and interesting sandwiches - delicious and inexpensive.

Shells - for those of you who remember this tiny, inexpensive but good eatery - it has permanently closed.

Café Blue Great new coffee house on the main South Coat road near the Gap – across from Club Extreme. All sorts of designer coffees and cold smoothies, and also sandwiches and breakfast items. You’ll enjoy.

BEACH BAR: A great little beach bar, right on Sandy Beach is Carib Beach Bar – we enjoyed some cool drinks after being in the sun. Food and fun available at this spot.

East Coast Restaurants:

The Round House: Offers indoor or outdoor seating. We enjoy stopping here for lunch & enjoy looking out over the Bathsheeba area. On Sundays be sure you get there for noontime as by 4 pm they stop serving. About $40 US/couple for lunch - Inexpensive.

Crane Beach: In 2002 they charged a $12.95 Bds entrance fee per person (redeemable at the restaurant/bar). However, in November 2003, and most recently, July 2004, they no longer seemed to be doing this. We were there for lunch and just walked over to the restaurant. It ran us about $60 US/couple. Definitely go daytime - the view is spectacular. It's one of the prettiest beaches anywhere. If you sit on the balcony & enjoy a drink or lunch, you will have one of the best views anywhere. And the pool there, with its Roman columns, is used in many magazine ads -- you won't regret it.

North Point: If you drive up there some afternoon, the view in that area of the water crashing on the rocks & through the holes in the coral is spectacular. We usually enjoy a snack in their A-frame tiny restaurant. You might enjoy trying a "cheese cutter" - a Bajan special snack. We like that with a beer. It would be a unique experience. Probably for $16 Bds you can get this.

Unique Things:

Oistins Fish Fry: Friday night is the fish-fry, the hottest spot in town! Women at roadside stalls fry or Bar-B-Q shark, barracuda, marlin, snapper, kingfish and of course the traditional flying fish. All caught that same day, little wonder it is becoming a tradition and a Friday night ritual (I mention this as people ask about it, but it’s not one of my favorite things to do). You sit at picnic benches and usually after 10 pm the music starts in. Lots of people milling around. Now this event occurs on Saturday nights too.

Slots: A fun place if you like to try your hand at Slots while there is The Lucky Horseshoe. It also has food available, although I don’t think the food is that great. It’s on the main South Coast Road near the St. Lawrence Gap area. They are open and serve food 24 hrs./day. You will find various arcades around the island with slots, but most are video poker.

NIGHTLIFE

CLUB XTREME - Brand new on the south cost - on Worthing Main Road opposite Sandy Beach Hotel. It’s a 10,000 sq. ft. night club/entertainment venue. It offers a state-of-the-art lighting and sound system. It has 3 “zones” - Xtreme zone is where you will experience some of the wildest parties in Barbados; Chill Zone (members only) - you can lounge here or lime with your friends away from the party; and Game Zone - it’s got the latest arcade games with pool and hockey tables too. It’s open Wednesday (casual dress); Friday (age limit 17) and Saturday (age limit 18) evenings - elegantly casual dress. There is a $30 cover charge that covers unlimited free drinks on Fridays.

Casbah Nightclub is located at Baku on the West Coast -(action starts in about 10:30 pm - weekends only)

Other places include Harbor Lights and The Boatyard (if you are in your 20s) and the Ship Inn (all ages)
TOURS
ISLAND SAFARI: We have done this 4 times now & love it.
This tour is LOTS of fun. You can go places you cannot get to in a car, so we had a different perspective on some things we've seen before while driving around. It was fantastic going through the sugar cane fields off-roading.
The first time we took the Adventure Safari, which costs $64.50 US for adults and for children 12 and under $45 US. Since then we’ve done 3 Tailor-made Safaris - a private safari just for your family/group -- the vehicle can hold 8 people. Currently this is priced at $325 for 6 hours. There are also 5 other unique safaris from which to choose (all priced differently). Tell Ralph White that I highly recommended, and he will take good care of you. You can e-mail him at [email protected] to book directly with him. Also, if you follow the link below it will take you to their site and you can get a 10% discount for booking direct on line. I would suggest picking out a day you want now & book this way. http://www.islandsafari.bb Island Safari really provides the best of this type of tour. They do more off-roading than others & their drivers are fun and know their stuff.
Also great is the Catamaran trip on the Tiami - There are 3 stops - one where you get to snorkel with turtles, one with the fish and one at a tropical beach for a swim. There’s champagne and fish cakes as you board, a light breakfast on board and a fantastic Bajan lunch. It was worthwhile. $70 US each. They pick you up & return you to your hotel. You can find them at: http://tallshipscruises.com
Windsurfing/Kitesurfing: Check these out through Club Mistral - in Oistins, and Silver Sands. The best time for windsurfing is from November to July - the wind and sea conditions are consistent with winds blowing from 15-35 knots. For Kitesurfing you don’t need much wind or waves so you can easily do this year round. Long Beach (the longest and often deserted beach on the South Coast) and Casuarina Beach are perfect for Kitesurfing - but the same beaches good for windsurfing are also good for Kitesurfing (most of the South Coast beaches).
Brian Talma, Barbados’ windsurfing champion, operates the Irie Man Action Shop at Silver Rock where you can rent windsurfing and kitesurfing equipment a well as surf boards and boogie boards.
Snorkeling
The barrier reefs, located 1/2 - 2 miles from shore contain large coral heads which form the habitat for thousands of beautiful fish. Larger organisms are also found on these reefs, feeding on the smaller fish. The Hawksbill turtle can also be found on these reefs. Fringes and patching reefs are found closer to shore and have smaller coral formations and more abundant plant life then the barrier reefs. These reefs are home to Sea Horses, Frog Fish, Giant Sand Eels and many other marine creatures. Wrecks form fascinating habitats for marine life and Barbados has several excellent sites for wreck diving. Carlisle Bay, with 200 reported wrecks, and the Stavronikita, located at Folkestone Marine Park /barbados.org/folkstone.htm]http://barbados.org/folkstone.htm[/url]">, are two of the most popular sites.
Folkstone Underwater Park - at Church Point, just north of St. James Church. A 2 km stretch of marine reserve; snorkeling here is particularly good - equipment is available for rent. This is the area where most of the catamaran’s take their groups for snorkeling.
Carlisle Bay - This beach at Needham's Point is one of the island's best and gets crowded with locals on weekends and holidays. The Carlisle Bay Centre has changing rooms and showers.
Mullins Bay and Gibbs Beach - Magnificent stretch of beach - all sorts of watersports available. Food and drink available from Mannie’s Suga Suga, or at the southern end of the beach there is a good area for picnics. Glassy, blue water; quite a good, safe area for snorkeling.
Batts Rock - Take the track on the right shortly after Calabaza Restaurant and drive down to the parking area. Lots of shady trees, a small children's playground, picnic tables, shower and changing facilities. A lovely beach - good swimming and snorkeling.

Sightseeing tips:

Newly opened in May 2004 is the Graeme Hall Nature Preserve -- visitors are able to stroll through ancient mangroves and tall trees, along trails around the lake, all the while enjoying a wonderful variety of bird and animal life. The flocks of egrets coming in to roost at the end of the day is an amazing site, their chosen trees gradually turning from green to white as they crowd on to every available branch. Also you will have a chance to feed the Tarpon fish – they really jump for their food! There is also an enclosed bird aviary and beautiful flowers throughout. Well worth a visit.

We prefer the Flower Forest to Andromeda Garden, but both are ok. Flower Forest is a former sugar plantation and is set in one of the most scenic parts of the island - great nature walks.

Also interesting is the walk through Welchman Hall Gully - a one mile hike through a deep, densely wooded gully filled with large variety of trees, plants and flowers. It was once part of the network of caves linked to Harrison’s until the roof collapsed, forming a uniquely deeper gully -- you can spot wild green monkeys here at feeding times (late afternoon). New in July 2004 are signs throughout the gully describing various plants and trees and telling the history of their growth in Barbados.

Sunbury is an interesting 300 year old Great House to tour. It’s the only great house that opens all rooms for viewing-- we enjoy a snack in their Courtyard Restaurant when we visit there.

Bottom Bay - a very romantic beach with palm trees on East Coast. If you can find it, the setting is spectacular.

Orchid World opened in 1999 has a large collection of gorgeous flowering orchids -- not to be missed.

Harrison’s Caves - you take a unique tram ride down into the caverns that you would not expect to find on a Caribbean island. It is an amazing collection of stalactites hanging down and stalagmites rising up. There is a crystal clear stream that runs through the cave and the waters form beautiful pools and waterfalls. The cave is light and there are reflections from the crystal and rock formations that are truly gorgeous.

You might also enjoy Farley Hill - it contains the ruins of a plantation house where a movie was filmed, and a unique collection of mahogany trees and offers a spectacular view of the area.

Codrington College - the view as you drive down the entrance flanked by Royal Palms on each side is very spectacular.

I wouldn't bother with Pelican Village. There are some craft shops here, but not all shops are open. We did enjoy going to the Caribbean Cigar Company at Pelican Village – we were able to watch them rolling the Royal Barbados Cigars. The cigars have Cuban tobacco as a filler, the binder is Kamerun and the wrapper is Ecuador. I’m told by smokers they are the best.

The Chattel House Village within The Gap is nothing much. However, there is a Chattel House Village on the West Coast that is very nice -- go there instead (it's near Baku Beach in the Sunset Crest area).

Visit Earthworks-It’s a pottery studio located on Edgehill Heights in St. Thomas - This pottery began the mid 70’s and today is described as “no ordinary pottery.” It ships its pottery throughout the Caribbean and the world. In addition to their blue and green designs you will now also find new and brighter tropical colors and some very unusual pieces. You will really want to take some back home with you. It is sold around the island, but it’s interesting going where it is made. Also, you will get some fabulous views of the south coast of the island and you can enjoy lunch at the Lunch Club on a verandah.

Also, golf available at several courses on the island, including driving range & miniature golf. Currently Barbados golf academy is closed until at least November 2004 for refurbishing. I’m told this area will also eventually house an aquarium. Some sample Greens Fees (in US $) at Barbados Golf Club (from 2002): 18 holes: high season $119, low season $79; Electric golf cart per person – high & low $13 (one person $20); Club rental $20; 3 day unlimited golf pass – high: $270; low - $189.

A few good sports bars around, including Bubbas and Lucky Horseshoe (they go crazy over World Cup events like soccer).

Car Rental: We've used Stoute's since 1986 & always get good quality cars & wonderful service. They can deliver the car to you at your hotel, or meet you at the airport if you prefer. Check out their site at:
http: www.stoutescar.com Tell them Lois Swanson recommended them (I usually talk with Ann Stoute via e-mail which is: [email protected] and they should give you great service. Cars run about $260-$305/week and gas for a week if you do lots of sightseeing might run $50 US.

We tried a mini moke once, but you can get wet in them & there's no place to lock up any valuables, so now we go with a Corolla type car with a/c & that locks. Definitely make arrangements in advance -- that way you won't be left waiting a day or so to get your car.

Taxis: A good alternative to a car, although this can get costly. Also, great way to tour privately. Rates run $25-$30 US/hr. if you want to book a taxi. To book a taxi/driver for a day the rate we’ve been told might be $250 US. A typical ride from the airport to Bridgetown might be $15 US; or from airport to the West Coast - $19 US; airport to St. Lawrence Gap area $12 US; St. Lawrence Gap area to West Coast restaurants $17 US; from Bougainvillea Beach to the Gap you can plan on a $12 US round trip fare. From there to Carambola you can expect a $50 round trip fare.

Great Taxi Driver: Emerson Clark – cell: (246) 228-6192
Very knowledgeable, polite and reasonably priced. Book him for your needs or for a private tour, you won’t regret it. Tell him that Lois Swanson recommended him. He took my husband and me around about 3 years ago when the Tourism Board had us attend a few events.

Buses are another alternative, but they can be crowded and hot. Most major routes buses run every 30 minutes or so and the fare wherever you go is US 75 cents (exact change required).

Minibuses (or route taxis) for 75 cents US - these run shorter distances and come more frequently - but can be very crowded and you need to board and exit quickly.

Grocery Store: Our favorite is The Big B located on Rendezvous Road (South Coast) - really near St. Lawrence Gap. They have a fantastic grocery selection, including gourmet items and liquor. Also, they have a wonderful deli where you can even get a hot Bajan meal for take away for about $5. From the South Coast Road, you turn onto Rendezvous Road at the traffic light (by Rendezvous Trimart (this is also a grocery store but a very modest one). It’s about 2 blocks down on the left (just past the post office). The have a free shuttle service to your hotel (within 3 mile radius) – it runs Mon & Tues 9-4; Weds to Sat. – 9 to 6.
JB Super Center: This is another good island full-service grocery store. There are several located around the island.
Multiplex Theaters: There is a new 8 theater multiplex with all the current movies. It is located at Sheraton Center - not far from the Garfield Sobers roundabout.
Medical Help: For anyone with an emergency requiring a hospital, do not go to Queen Elizabeth Hospital (the public one) – it’s antiquated, and you can expect long waits. Instead, go to the private facility called: Bayview Hospital. It is located at St. Paul's Avenue, Bayville, St. Michael phone: 246/436-5446). Also, many private doctors treat patients –check your hotel or villa rep for the name of various doctors. Pharmacies on the island also sometimes can help with medications.
PROPERTY NEWS ON THE ISLAND (late 2004)
The Sands - a new residential development to be built by Sandy Lane (in planning stages 4/04)
Paynes Bay area - new condos to be built to be called “Waterside” - starting at $600,000 US
Fitts Village Area - Two new villa properties being constructed. Summer Land and also Natanya on the Sea - One will be on the beach and the other across Highway One.
Existing projects going into new phases: Sugar Bay at Sugar Hill (awaiting approval) and Schooner Bay - still has units for sale.
New Development soon (South Coast)
Vista Cinema – Is being completely redeveloped with the ground floor tenanted to Cave Shepherd Dept. Store.
First Street in the Gap: A 2-acre site recently received permission to develop a multi-use entertainment facility, including restaurants, street-side cafes, a bar and nightclub, retail shops and residential units. Also of interest will be a car park with 170 vehicle capacity. Not sure how long it will be until all this materializes, but at least it’s pending.
Cotton Bay – located next to Atlantic Shores is a residential townhouse development that just started construction. Hopefully it will be finished in 18 months.
Enterprise Beach – A new 4-story, 10-unit condo complex is planned for the area across from Enterprise Beach. They had hopes of starting this sometime in 2004.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
islanddreams, thanks so much for the information!! it''s really helpful
emstar.gif

my fiancee called PSV yesterday to confirm our charter flights to and from the resort and they recommended the hilton because it''s quite near the airport. did they give you the same advice? I think that the coral sands looks lovely!! We''re going to investigate further -

so, would you say that the christ church area is a little too far if we''re only going to be there for such a limited time?

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Lovelylulu--

Glad you found the Barbados info helpful.

I think it would depend on how much time you will actually have on the island. We had 2 nights in Barbados. But our flight left--very early and we left for the airport at 5:30am. I picked the Coral Sands because it was the closest hotel that seemed to have a decent beach that also was in my price range. I didn''t ask for recommendations in Barbados from PSV, so I didn''t hear about the Hilton. I looked it up online and it looks very nice. It is a little further west than Coral Sands, but I don''t think that would be a big deal. It looks like a true resort where as Coral Sands was more just a hotel. The Hilton has a "hot deal" for $170 that looks good.

Just so you know, we took a taxi ride to the west coast from the Christ Church area and it took almost an hour to get to the middle of the west coast. Barbados does indeed have traffic and since there are just a few main highways, it can take awhile to get around. Airport to Coral Sands was about 15-20 minutes during the day and 10-15min at 5:30am.

ky6

Shiny_Rock
Wow, IslandDreams, you are just a wealth of information!

We have already booked a hotel in Christ''s Church and plan to rent a car to visit other parts of the islands, so this definitely gives us some guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results