shape
carat
color
clarity

Honeymoon Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

museikchik

Shiny_Rock
I am soo excited. I finally got my FI to agree to go outside the country for our honeymoon. We decided on England. I don''t know if anyone has seen the movie, "The Holiday" with Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz. I kind of want to stay in a place that is out in a small town and has that country feel just like in the movie. I don''t know anything about England so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
36.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not from the UK but wasn''t part of the Holiday filmed in Surrey? Maybe have a look at that area.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite travel forum is Fodor''s. You might try asking questions on their Europe Talk Forum:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2

Another neat travel site with a number of unique UK holidays:

http://www.responsibletravel.com/tripsearch/UK/Region100009.htm

You may also want to re-post your topic with England in the title so that some members who live there might better notice it and respond.

I''ve never seen the movie, so I''m not quite sure what you''re looking for, but hope you find this helpful nevertheless.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
On my recent business trip to England I stayed in the Cotswolds (the specific town was Chipping Campden) and it was amazing. Tiny little town about 500 years old surrounded by fields of sheep ... perfect! It was absolutely my idea of idyllic British countryside. I would highly recommend going there or another town nearby. It''s only an hour train ride from London (to the Moreton-in-Marsh station).

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/5/2008 2:05:36 AM
Author:museikchik
I am soo excited. I finally got my FI to agree to go outside the country for our honeymoon. We decided on England. I don''t know if anyone has seen the movie, ''The Holiday'' with Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz. I kind of want to stay in a place that is out in a small town and has that country feel just like in the movie. I don''t know anything about England so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
36.gif

I love Somerset more than anywhere else in England. DH went to uni at Bristol and there''s a fabulous hotel there, Hotel du Vin, which is incredibly rustic and romantic (I have NEVER seen such amazing bathrooms!) Bristol is more big-city, but maybe worth a day or two?

About 15 minutes by train, you will be in Bath, which is so so lovely. I could spend months there. Very romantic, gorgeous, tons of shopping and great food.

We also loved Stratford - very romantic with all the swans on the Avon river!

DH''s folks are from Buckinghamshire (30 minutes'' high speed train from London) and there are plenty of gorgeous cottages dotting the landscape there.

julabean

Shiny_Rock
DH and I were in the UK when we got engaged last year. We were in England for about 10 days. We stayed in a great town in the Cotswolds called Moreton-in-Marsh. The entire area was really beautiful, so the Cotswolds might be a good option for you. We day tripped around the Cotswalds and spent several days walking through sheep pasture to Upper and Lower Slaughter (love those names) or chatting with nice villagers in the bookstore. Would go back in a heart beat. Didn''t even feel like we were on vacation - felt like we were just hanging out.

According to Wikipedia, The Holiday was filmed in "Godalming, Surrey and the nearby villages of Wonersh and Shere." I''ve never been there, but I''m sure it''s lovely!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Write a list of exactly what you are after and the sort of things that you'd like to do and I'll see what I can think up - I've lived in most parts of the South of England at one time or another or my family do...

Do remember that we have nearly 60 million people on a rather small island, so the idyllic countryside bits tend to be sandwiched between built-up areas! Oh, and our weather is disgusting most of the year so pick the time you want to come carefully!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results