shape
carat
color
clarity

Honda Pilot??/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Anyone have one or have opinions about one? I got in a car accident on two days ago, and my car is total. So I am in search for a new car. I want an Acura MDX, but right now it''s out of my budget. I read that Honda Pilot is modeled after the Acura MDX with the same engine, so I was wondering if that would be a good choice. Or any recommendations for mid-size SUV under/around 30K?

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Consumer Reports has their annual auto issue out now. They list the Honda Pilot as one of their top SUV picks. They say the best features of the Pilot are the powertrain, handling, ride, stability control, fit and finish, and access. The only negative they list is road noise (a complaint they have about all Hondas).

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2006 12:31:40 AM
Author:qtiekiki
Anyone have one or have opinions about one? I got in a car accident on two days ago, and my car is total. So I am in search for a new car. I want an Acura MDX, but right now it''s out of my budget. I read that Honda Pilot is modeled after the Acura MDX with the same engine, so I was wondering if that would be a good choice. Or any recommendations for mid-size SUV under/around 30K?

I can''t recommend, cause I''m in a similar boat (say no to Land Rover Freelanders!!) ... but I will say that I''m very, very interested in the brand new redesigned 2006 Toyota RAV4 Limited with leather/loaded which would be approx 28-29K. It''s very Lexusy without the Lexus pricetag. And Sahhweeet.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
My collegue has a Pilot and I''ve ridden in it several times.....nice ride....lots of leg room and extras....very comfortable....2 thumbs up over here!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Have owned one for three years and it is a great SUV. In fact, there is not a "bad" thing I can say about it. (we didn''t care for tiheir tire choice, so opted for Michelin''s). As for the road noise--I don''t even notice that, compared to the Ford Explorer I owned previously to the Pilot--it is quiet!! Speaking to the cost, with taxes, I recall we we paid around 46K (Canadian).

cheers--Sharon

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
That is one of the cars I looked at the other day.
My husband really wants me to get it, but I never really liked the way it looked from the outside. Well, I went to the dealership the other day and I have changed my mind.
It is really nice inside, super comfy and compared to our Pathfinder, seems like it is more roomy.
I can''t tell you about the noise as my PF is kinda noisy and I didn''t get a chance to drive it.
I have to say that it is one of the top rated SUVs, according to Consumer Reports and it''s also one of the better priced ones when compared to similar equipped vehicles.
I also like the fact that the third row seats hide flush when not in use. The Toyota Sequia and the Lexus RX 470''s don''t.
The Acuras are real nice though. That''s the other car I want!
2.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
qtiekki--

I hope you are ok after your accident. They can be very scary. My husband was in one on Monday. Makes you reappreciate the simple things in life.

I can''t offer you much on the Honda Pilot, but I do have the smaller Honda CRV. It''s a great car. Even my 16 year old tells me it''s ZIPPY and cool. So, I bet the Pilot would be even better with more luxuries. I also looked at the RAV4 and the new versions are very nice. The Highlander isn''t bad either.

Hopefully you have a rental car so you can take your time and find the right car for you!

Stink Pink

Rough_Rock
I like the Acura MDX also. Ever consider a certified pre-owned Acura. You can get a MDX for 25-27K. Go to the acura website and click on pre owned. You can do a search in your area. They come with 1 yr waranty. My brother''s X bought a 2001 in 2004 and it was loaded with navigation system, I think 30K miles and was a nice truck.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2006 3:47:01 PM
Author: IslandDreams
qtiekki--

I hope you are ok after your accident. They can be very scary. My husband was in one on Monday. Makes you reappreciate the simple things in life.

I can''t offer you much on the Honda Pilot, but I do have the smaller Honda CRV. It''s a great car. Even my 16 year old tells me it''s ZIPPY and cool. So, I bet the Pilot would be even better with more luxuries. I also looked at the RAV4 and the new versions are very nice. The Highlander isn''t bad either.

Hopefully you have a rental car so you can take your time and find the right car for you!
I used to have a Honda CRV. But when I moved to live with DH, I gave it to my sister. I like it a lot, but wanted something bigger that have a third row seat. So when my parents and sister come to visit or when we has kids, we can get around in one car. My father in law and sister in law both have CRV also.

We thought about the Highlander, but I think it only sits 5. I am glad to hear the good things about Honda Pilot.

Yeah I have a rental right now to get around, but it''s still a little scary to drive.

SquareCut

Shiny_Rock
I''m test driving a pilot this weekend. The 2006 model is one of only 6 out of 44 SUVs to pass the new rear crash test. It''s one of the safest and most reliable. Don''t know about the customer service though - I had to call a bunch of dealerships - one didn''t answer the phone, one was closed on Sundays, one disconnected me and the other didn''t allow test drives on Sundays.
33.gif

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have a Honda Pilot but we have the Nissan Murano and are very happy with it!

noxcuses

Rough_Rock
I own a 05 Pilot and I love it! Even with 2 kids I still haven''t used the 3rd row seat yet. Maybe soon though.
We just bought an 06 Accord lx and we were asked by the dealer if we wanted to trade in the Pilot. The dealer said the used Pilots were hard to get and were in high demand. They even offered more than book value!
I said no way!
9.gif

I''d recommend the Pilot!

Good luck!!!

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
We own a civic and an accord. We love Hondas! Good, reliable cars.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2006 9:37:16 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Have owned one for three years and it is a great SUV. In fact, there is not a 'bad' thing I can say about it. (we didn't care for tiheir tire choice, so opted for Michelin's). As for the road noise--I don't even notice that, compared to the Ford Explorer I owned previously to the Pilot--it is quiet!! Speaking to the cost, with taxes, I recall we we paid around 46K (Canadian).

cheers--Sharon
See the road noise killed me in the Pilot, I looked at it and my ears killed me when I went over 60MPH.

ETA: Look here on Edmunds (car PS) Edmunds SUV by price range

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Yep - road noise was a factor for me in eliminating the Pilot also.

bar01

Brilliant_Rock

Have had a new Pilot EXL nav since Feb. Wonderful car. Did lots of research on all SUV's before buying it. Liked the Acura MDX also - but not for $8000 more and no big differences.

Also looked at Toyota Highlander (other top rated mid size SUV) and liked the pilot better after a long test drive.

Consumer Report's reader survey list's it near the top of their "would you buy again" among midsize SUV's. Also in the top in resale value. It scores very well in reliability

A good site to spend some time at is www.hondapilot.org in the forums.

Go do some test driving!

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
My mom got a Pilot because it seats 8 and when all of us are in town my sis's kids included we can ALL ride in the same car. It's a bit overkill for Hawaii where my folks live and is a bit pricey on gas but it is a GREAT SUV all things considered. My mom liked the fact it was build on the MDX chassis, the Highlander which was also in the running is built on a camry chassis. Overall, I think you get more for your $ with the pilot ALSO 4x4 is standard, with the Highlander 4X4 is additional $, also the highlander does NOT have 3rd row seating, it has rear folding seats which can be cumbersome. All the research we did pointed very clearly to the Pilot I think you'll be very happy! Best of luck hope this helps!

ETA: if I'm not mistaken I think it has the highest crash test rating for an SUV as well. Honda's are KNOWN for their high safety ratings. I have an Acura so I might be biased.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I test drove the Honda Pilot and the MDX. I like the drive of the MDX better maybe because it''s not as tall. But I am not really into paying the $8000 extra either. 4X4 is not standard for Pilot, but it is for MDX. I didn''t hear the noise when I test drove it. But I am going to test drive them again just to make sure. I am also not really into the shape of the Highlander. I don''t know why. We are basically deciding between the Pilot or the MDX.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results