shape
carat
color
clarity

Homeschooling Starts Today. Wish Me Luck!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@lissyflo They were (very sensibly, of course) only letting in 30 people at once, so it was a one out, one in basis. I stood leaning on my freshly sanitised trolley outside in the sun for FIFTY EIGHT MINUTES.

Wowzers, an hour for entry? Although much preferable overall to wait for a controlled environment than to not have to wait and enter germ cess-pit hell!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm trying to ignore the rumblings I'm hearing from Dr friends about this lockdown lasting until January & taking it week by week.
And I've just poured a large wine.

Thanks @dk168 !

January??!! It’s 11am and that nearly made me reach for the wine!

On the positives, you will have killer abs from all the PE lessons! I’m focusing heavily on my masticular muscles this week...

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For those in UK, one week down, well done!

DK :appl:

And you forgot the best part - it’s daylight saving clock change tomorrow so that’s one hour of lockdown we never need to fill! :appl:=)2

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My little niece (3) looked at my sister this morning and said: "go for a walk, go for a walk...is that all that's left for me??"

(Lockdown day 8, playgrounds closed, :cry2:1hour walks /day allowed)

Reading this broke my heart. I can’t add anything at all helpful but I’m really sorry.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Alex, glad to hear it has gone ok. I’m in the UK too and have struggled this week with the amount of work school have given my son (age 7). Today after Mr Wicks at 8:30 (not live as we are behind), we worked solidly from 9-3 (with an hour for lunch and a 20 min morning break). This would be fine if he were an only child but he isn’t. Most of the work uses the computer which he needs a lot of assistance with, so my four year old has been neglected in comparison. Today we were more organised and it was hard but the best day of the week. I want to keep up with it as I suspect this ‘lock in’ could go on for ages and home schooling might become compulsory. Anyway my point was that I think UK schools are variable as to what they are providing and expecting but I suspect that will change in the weeks to come. My son and I do not mind being at home, but my daughter is struggling as she is sociable and at 4 cannot really understand what is happening, that is hard to watch.

@meely My hope is that we all settle into a new normal and this new way becomes easier with time. (Well, my real hope is that someone finds a cure/way around this, but it’s looking more like a long haul effort.) It certainly won’t be easy to juggle children in a way we’ve never had to before, but hopefully the crunching of gears in a new way of working will at least ease a little. Meanwhile, we’re all here with you for support.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@meely My hope is that we all settle into a new normal and this new way becomes easier with time. (Well, my real hope is that someone finds a cure/way around this, but it’s looking more like a long haul effort.) It certainly won’t be easy to juggle children in a way we’ve never had to before, but hopefully the crunching of gears in a new way of working will at least ease a little. Meanwhile, we’re all here with you for support.

I've been doing lots of reading up on Professor Chris Whitty & Sir Patrick Vallance (whom I have to say, is extremely attractive for an older chap) & whilst I don't have much time for Boris, though he's really doing good things right now, I have intense trust in these two. Their CV's are impressive & were both leading the way & heavily involved during the Ebola outbreak. There is no doubt in my mind that between them & their teams, we are being guided by the very best. There WILL be a vaccination for this & an end point as a result of the best teams in the world coming together, but it maybe many, many months away before 'normal' life can resume.

In the meantime, we may all very well end up with the bodies we've always wanted!

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
I've been doing lots of reading up on Professor Chris Whitty & Sir Patrick Vallance (whom I have to say, is extremely attractive for an older chap) & whilst I don't have much time for Boris, though he's really doing good things right now, I have intense trust in these two. Their CV's are impressive & were both leading the way & heavily involved during the Ebola outbreak. There is no doubt in my mind that between them & their teams, we are being guided by the very best. There WILL be a vaccination for this & an end point as a result of the best teams in the world coming together, but it maybe many, many months away before 'normal' life can resume.

In the meantime, we may all very well end up with the bodies we've always wanted!

Ok, so I'm not contradicting you, I'm genuinely interested in your take on this.

I watched the initial press conference where they outlined their approach and found it very compelling--my H and I both felt very reassured. I like the fact that they are civil servants and at least in theory acting from non-political motives. That sense of comfort lasted for about an hour. I know they said later that the science had changed. But it demonstrably hadn't. I'm not very maths-oriented, but even I could figure out (without waiting for an Imperial College model) that applying the lowest death rate from other countries (we already had plenty of data), and with the understanding that a democracy would never have the ability to exert the social control of China, added to the number of critical care beds in the UK per 10,000 of population, and their existing occupation level, this approach was not only posing dangerous risk to an unacceptable number of people, but was going to completely overwhelm the already-limited capacity of the NHS. Italy was unfolding before our eyes already. And that was before we even knew about the massive shortage of PPE, which is moving the risk from the general public and onto critical frontline NHS staff. We might not have known about those shortages, but surely they must have? And then my sister-in-law who is an epidemiologist who also worked on Ebola called me, horrified, saying that herd immunity in no way worked along the lines they were describing--that with a virus such as this, it was impossible without a vaccine.

So I liked them, wanted to believe them and found them initially credible and would like to continue to have faith in them, but have subsequently lost that ability. I'd love to be won back...

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@jaaron , this is my understanding as well.

The Netherlands tried this approach and had to back pedal quickly.

I think the hospital bed - patient ratio was initially better in Italy than the NHS.. .
And everyone can see how patient numbers totally overwhelmed them . ..
to me personally the herd immunity thing unfortunately reads mostly : we gave up on the most vulnerable.

I sincerely hope I got that wrong!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We might not have known about those shortages, but surely they must have?

yes and here in the USA the politicians knew. They knew we had severe shortages should a pandemic occur. And we all knew that a pandemic was going to happen. We just didn't know when. But we knew it was inevitable. And Governor Cuomo (who has been doing a good job now) knew in 2015 we needed ventilators and even looked into it but ultimately decided against getting more. Why? IDK. Financial issues? Red tape BS issues? IDK. But we should have gotten them and PPEs and many other supplies. It was playing Russian roulette as far as I am concerned and yes the most vulnerable people will pay the price. Not the politicians because they will get what they need no doubt. But ordinary citizens who are weak/vulnerable/old/prexisting conditions etc. will die because those in power didn't do anything proactive to help this crisis. It's a crying shame. :cry:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@jaaron @kipari I am completely taking in everything you are saying & I totally hear you. My basis of belief is from the work these guys have done in the past, the achievements they have made & steps forward they have taken. I'm not a statistician or mathematician either, and the numbers & science blows my brain - I am glued to the live daily updates & trying to read & learn as much as I can.

What I am trying very hard to do, is put my trust in them & the decisions they make. Regardless, we will soon be overwhelmed like other places & regardless, we need to stay home. The herd immunity thing was a bit odd & as you say, they must have been aware that in this instance it wouldn't work to save lives, but the principle is still the same: build up natural antibodies, as with any virus, to prevent new epidemics.

The lack of PPE is alarming. Is that a financial issue? I don't have the answer.

They have the jobs they currently do, not because of their buddies in high places, but because of what they have professionally achieved. In this time of doom, uncertainty & homeschooling stress, I would like to feel that they are as much in control as they physically can be of this. They've studied this all their lives. We have to have faith & believe that what they are doing & decisions they are making, as & when they make them, are going to go some way in keeping deaths from this beast to a minimum. It will still be an alarmingly high number, but i have to trust that they are shaving some off. And keep washing our hands. Stay safe x

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think we are being naive if we think this will be sorted imminently. We need to delay to give the health services time to prepare 3-6 months, time to find a vaccine 1-2 years, time to immunise the entire population 2 1/2 - 4 years. One way or another we are in for the long haul.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m hoping that someone clever will correct me on this. I’m not a statistician or scientist just my gut feeling on it.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My younger kids were worried if the Easter Bunny would be allowed to get through.. They figured it might be unsafe to go from home to home and deliver eggs, chocolate and gifts...

I put chocolate eggs on our breakfast table this morning with a note "don't worry, nothing changes for me, I have my own magic and get to all children like every year"

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kipari What a lovely thing to do!

@meely I agree completely. I said when the schools were closed, that the girls would be lucky to be back in before the summer break. And obviously the Deputy Chief Medical Officer has stated this afternoon that we *may* be looking at 6 months of some restrictions staying in place, if not longer.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m hoping that someone clever will correct me on this. I’m not a statistician or scientist just my gut feeling on it.

They are fast tracking a lot of stuff at the moment. Good and bad, but its out of necessity. FDA is fast tracking health devices and, some manufacturers are granting use of their patents for a year or more.
In general though vaccines can take a long time depending on the interest to do the study and who wants to pay for it. The fact that they're saying they could have a coronavirus vaccine in 18 months is way super fast tracked and outside of the norm.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Ladies. I just wanted to check in and see how this week is going with the home-schooling. Have you settled into a rhythm and are finding things easier?

My two are on holiday and are being really food about the situation given there’s not too many exciting activity options available - I’ve been really impressed (and relieved) with how they’re handling things this week. I’m looking forward to them getting back to ‘school’ to add a bit more structure, but I’m conscious that maybe that’s grass-is-greener thinking!

Hope things are going well and your new-found teaching are flourishing!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ladies. I just wanted to check in and see how this week is going with the home-schooling. Have you settled into a rhythm and are finding things easier?

My two are on holiday and are being really food about the situation given there’s not too many exciting activity options available - I’ve been really impressed (and relieved) with how they’re handling things this week. I’m looking forward to them getting back to ‘school’ to add a bit more structure, but I’m conscious that maybe that’s grass-is-greener thinking!

Hope things are going well and your new-found teaching are flourishing!

Hi there! We are definitely much more settled this week & there is less tension & no tears at all. They are both checking their uploaded work from their teachers by themselves now, rather than me going through it with them, then sitting quietly & working hard. They don't need reminding at 11am that it's snack break time - they appear like a pair of Labradors :lol:

They have also taken it upon themselves to do some extra things that interest them. Hope has been having online tutorials for drawing & is emailing her pictures to her teacher, who is uploading them to the schools Class Pages where they are sharing exciting things. Lola set herself up in the kitchen yesterday to do some science experiments, then put together a report of what she did & what she found, to email to her teacher. These extra activities are definitely showing that they are enjoying a bit of freedom, whilst continuing to push their learning.

Mr T has settled in great working from home & is as busy as ever. Thankfully he works in the Gaming industry, so they are well able & kitted out to work remotely. He takes a break mid afternoon & we all head out into the fields for an hour of fresh air.

I've also been asking every few days during our walks how they're all feeling & discuss any concerns or worries. Last week the girls had a couple, but this week absolutely nothing & everybody is happy & content with how things are. As a family, our mental health seems to be much better actually, possibly due to external pressures, stresses, travel, ballet classes etc not being there. We are all more rested. We have all done Joe Bloody Wicks every morning together, so today was session 9 & as with last week, we are excited for Friday night as it signifies a couple of days off! I have been pottering around cleaning, washing, cooking, feeding & just making sure everybody is ok & the routines are adhered to. We finish for Easter tomorrow.

It sounds like you are doing well! I expect mine will be a bit restless during the break too, but it is what it is & we have a cupboard full of board & card games & we've signed upto Disney+ to get more movies for weekend veg sessions.

This has definitely been challenging, but I am feeling really good about how we're doing as a team. Obviously we are all looking forward to getting back to school & work, however many months away that might be, but we've realised that each day we do like this is a day closer to getting there. I worry in the long term for their education, but they are bright kids & I'm sure they'll catch up & continue to do well.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m really pleased it’s going so well @Alex T ! It’s really heartening to hear all the positives coming out of the situation - it’s definitely confirming to me that, as long as kids feel loved and secure in their family, they can be remarkably adaptable. And I agree on the feeling rested benefit too - maybe not fully rested mentally with the worries and stress about what’s happening in the world, but physically it’s definitely great to be on a less frenetic timetable.

We’ve started Joe Wickes as well and I’m loving doing it with the kids. He seems like such a great guy and I hadn’t realised that he’s donating all the profits to the NHS too, god love him.

Enjoy the Easter holidays! I must remember to replenish the Easter egg supply - we raided it during quarantine as a morale booster!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to read everything is working out so well for you guys!!!
We're really ready for our schooll holidays...we crossed off every day this week and looking forward to leaving the pressure of all the assignments and graded homework behind us for two weeks...

Children are happy, only my DD 1 had an anxiety attack Monday night, but all's well now after some talking...(She was terrified of catching Covid-19 or us catching it).

Someone has clued me in that the queen bee problem child in DDs class has started cybermobbing now that se has no way to bully the others IRL. Since my children aren't online without me and it wasn't directed at my kid, I just encouraged the other mom to report ASAP and hope measures will be taken accordingly. Not talking about this with DD, since she's happy without that topic in her life atm...

Otherwise I plan on doing absolutely nothing during these holidays, except picknicks in our yard, baking together, cooking together, boardgames, ballgames, fun and maybe an inflatable pool, weather permitting.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enjoy the Easter holidays! I must remember to replenish the Easter egg supply - we raided it during quarantine as a morale booster!
:D

I just bought a huge stash...didn't want to risk any supply shortages interfere with our easter plans

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kipari So glad things are going well there too! I had forgotten all about the Bullying Bee actually, so this will be a good emotional break for your daughter. Pardon my French, but what a little cow she is to have started picking at children online?!! I am so glad your daughter is away from all of that right now. And I still can't believe she's still getting away with it. Makes my blood boil.

But roll on Easter & chocolates & baking & games! I know the teachers where I work appreciate the school holidays far more than the parents, and now I fully understand why :lol:

@lissyflo Joe is definitely worth doing. The kids really enjoy how relatable he's made everything, love to spot the differences each day on his shelves behind & just have a really good, fun workout. And it'll benefit you too - it's a good thing!

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
So I finally gave up on the teachers/principal caring and told my 3 youngest to do 1 item per subject if they can.
So it helped them a bit but my 2nd to youngest is still really struggling.
My youngest (5) did no work today & just too bad you know.
I mean she is 5!
My teens are still loaded with work & exams, reports & quizzes. I think they have more work now than in school!

Spring break starts next week & I really hope the school doesn't assign any work over the break.

Also.... when did I get old enough to be a mother of two teenagers?!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I finally gave up on the teachers/principal caring and told my 3 youngest to do 1 item per subject if they can.
I mean she is 5!
My teens are still loaded with work & exams, reports & quizzes. I think they have more work now than in school!

Spring break starts next week & I really hope the school doesn't assign any work over the break.

You are doing a brilliant job :appl:

Mine only have 2 hours set work a day, as I've said before. But on Monday they were both done & dusted in just over an hour, so one did some drawing & one did some science 'experiments' in the kitchen & wrote a report for her teacher. Yesterday they worked for almost 4 hours as they had both been given a weekly research project that they wanted to get done in one session, rather than dip in & out.

And, my darling, as a mother I cannot expect any more than that. I am doing my best. We are all doing our best. YOU are doing your best, making them feel safe & loved & secure is YOUR job. Not schooling them to within an inch of their life. I am guessing from this that your childrens schools have had a knee jerk reaction to how sudden this has all been & off loaded an entire curriculum onto parents. But the curriculum will be revised in time to allow for this, as despite Trump wanting to be "open for business by Easter" this will last many, many months, not weeks. In the UK we are looking at a minimum lockdown of 12 weeks, but my medic friends believe it will last until Autumn at the earliest, due to a second outbreak & consequent peak as the weather draws in. Hideous, but possibly a reality.

I hope they don't get any work over the holidays. Keep strong, keep you anxiety in check & just do your best x

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much, I really needed to read this now!
Good luck with home-schooling yours too!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Polabowla judging from your beautiful hands you CAN'T be the mom of two teenagers!!

go with your gut, you have the right instinct! I'm with you praying for NO WORK over the holidays...:pray:
but what a little cow she is to have started picking at children online?!!

HA, my thoughts exactly....!!

How's Joe Bloody Wicks going? Care to share a link to your favourite video?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Polabowla judging from your beautiful hands you CAN'T be the mom of two teenagers!!

go with your gut, you have the right instinct! I'm with you praying for NO WORK over the holidays...:pray:

HA, my thoughts exactly....!!

How's Joe Bloody Wicks going? Care to share a link to your favourite video?

Session 10 done! He might be brutal, but he certainly gets the kids involved & down on their level, so lunges are spiderman moves & he does a spot the difference each day with the things on the shelves behind him. My kids work hard & he makes them giggle. Friday is now Fancy Dress Friday & he did his entire workout in a full costume & hood.

But no more for two whole days! Hooray!! My knees are completely bust!

None of them are my favourite workouts. None. But here's the link to his channel & the kids sessions are all in date order. Fill your boots!!

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Session 10 done! He might be brutal, but he certainly gets the kids involved & down on their level, so lunges are spiderman moves & he does a spot the difference each day with the things on the shelves behind him. My kids work hard & he makes them giggle. Friday is now Fancy Dress Friday & he did his entire workout in a full costume & hood.

But no more for two whole days! Hooray!! My knees are completely bust!

None of them are my favourite workouts. None. But here's the link to his channel & the kids sessions are all in date order. Fill your boots!!

Nice job @Alex T !

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mean she is 5!

I am with @Alex T with those gorgeous hands of yours you must have had your children when you were a baby yourself!
And good for you doing what is best for your family!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks @Alex T

we've been doing ballett and Yoga exclusively....might try wicks...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results