shape
carat
color
clarity

Home selling help please.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, I am wondering if you all could help me with some questions I have had getting our home ready to sell. We had not planned on sellling but while out and about a few weeks ago I found the house of my dreams and decided I want it. So now I find myself getting the house ready under some time constraints. I am wondering if you have sold or bought lately or just have a flair for this sort of thing and what your ideas are of what would help sell a house to you. A little backstory, our house was built in the 90s so think lots of golden oak and shiny brass, all builder grade. We have replaced most of the fixtures with oil rubbed bronze and replaced most of the doors with six panel doors. We know the basics keep it spotless, avoid pet odors, put half our stuff in storage that sort of thing, one question I do have is colors, I just painted the master bedroom a neutral gray called silver dollar and I love it. Now I am prepping to paint the 2 other bedrooms and one bath and down stairs family area, any suggestions for colors that are current yet neutral enough to appeal to the masses, what is in right now? Any tips or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, good luck to you. We bought a house that was built in 1989 and has lots of honey oak and brass fixtures last summer. We have not started painting yet, but I received these paint color recommendations which are mostly Benjamin Moore from a friend who is into decorating. I would suggest Googling the names and looking at the pictures you will find on Houzz.com to see if you like anything. I think most if not all of these are neutrals in the beige and grey families. From what I have seen online, grey is very in right now.

family/den/living areas:
- BM: Willow Creek 1468
- BM: Metropolitan AF-690
- BM: Revere Pewter HC-172
- BM: Clay beige OC-11
- Sherwin-Williams: Canvas Tan SW7531

bedrooms/bathrooms:
- BM: Silver Gray 2131-60
- BM: Nightingale AF-670
- BM: Silver Lake 1598
- BM: Wedgewood gray HC-146
- BM: Quiet Moments 1563

finished basement/play room/ spare bedroom
- Sherwin Williams: Oyster Bay SW6206
- BM: Golden lab 178
- BM: Wheatfield (kids playroom or gym)

Dinning Rm:
- BM: Van deusen blue HC-156
- BM: Winter gates AC-30

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Those are great colors, JG!!!

I am going to suggest Smokey Taupe by BM. It's just the most fab shade of greige! We have it throughout our main floor, and get compliments on it all the time. Looks awesome against painted white molding too.
Good luck with the sale of your house!!

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Dani, we had smokey taupe throughout the house we just moved out of. I am tempted to use it in our new house once we get around to painting. Right now every single room of our new house is kind of a peachy/yellow beige color. Definitely not what I would have picked, but we can live with it for now until we get the time and motivation to start the process.

ADG, congratulations on your new house and good luck selling the old one. We just moved this past fall and looked at a lot of houses before choosing one. Based on what we saw, I think your best bet is to pick a color you like in the gray or beige family and then pick one or two other colors that are a shade or two darker and lighter and sticking to that scheme throughout. If you keep it nice and neutral throughout, I really don't think you can go wrong.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
A huge Thank you JGator and Dani! You guys rock! I love the smokey Taupe, I think this would go great in the family area and will go well with the trim. I really like the Nightengale for one of the bedrooms, it has a bit of color but is still very neutral and a very serene color. And ooooh the grays... I am so in love with this color scheme right now, I am glad to hear it is popular now, that should help with the selling. Thank you again, this is just the help I needed. :wavey:

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Excellent, another vote for the smokey taupe. Thank you Monkeyprincess! The family room area includes the lower stairway and hallway and into the laundry area so I would use the color for the whole lower level except the bedroom and bath down there but I like the idea of keeping the taupe tones for the entire lower level. We had painted last fall the dining, kitchen and hall space a very light cafe au laite color and I threw the can and chips away and can't figure out the color to match it or I would go with that throughout but I think the taupe will go well with it , we will need to get some sample cards and hold it up to be sure. A trip to the home improvement store is on the agenda for tomorrow for paint and I am almost out of frog tape.. (have I mentioned how much I hate taping) I can see why you are putting off painting. Congrats on your new house,very exciting!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband and I just this week decided to start prepping our house to put on the market. He knows if we don't move soon then I'm never going to want to leave. I've totally bonded with our home.

I love the color "creamy mushroom", is by Behr and it's a lovely light greige. It's lovely in both light and dark rooms and can lead either gray or beige/tan depending on your decorating. IMO it's the perfect neutral. I also love Revere Pewter.

I'm totally overwhelmed by everything that we need to do to get our house ready. And we've been updating all along too. Next week we're finishing the granite in our kitchen, then it's the backsplash, then it's exterior painting in a month or so. It seems never ending.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
MP, I LOOVE Smokey Taupe. I just think its the perfect color! The precious owners had the whole first floor painted a yellowish- cream color that was soo ugly! We repainted all of it. We get compliments now all the time when people walk in!

ADG- MH calls our home " 50 shades of gray." He thinks he's funny, lol ( but he's kinda right). I love paints with gray undertones, rather than beige. That's what I love about the Smokey Taupe- it's a grayish beige that's just so pretty. Otherwise, I have a lot of greenish- grays and bluish- gray colors in my house....I guess we just like a beachy, airy type of feel!

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hudson Hawk, I hear you! Every time I turn around I see something else to add to the list :nono: Good luck with your selling!
Dani, our house has been the brown beiges for a long time so it all seems so new and fresh having the blue grays and I am loving it!
Two bedrooms painted and they look great but I am tired, on to the smokey taupe and the entire lower level next weekend.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results