shape
carat
color
clarity

Holloway cut advisor for GIA cert stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mwash34

Rough_Rock
I am looking at stones from both EGL and GIA. I know GIA has a better reputation, but EGL provides more information about the stone's dimensions on the cert (e.g., crown, pavillion) which is necessary for using the HCA.

Is there a quick and easy way to use the HCA for GIA certified stones? Time is essential as I am looking to buy my diamond within the next few days. Also, does anyone have any advice about buying EGL stones (e.g., Should I avoid EGL at all costs? Is EGL OK as long as I get an appraisal?)

Thanx.

(by the way, I passed on the 3 carat, K stone I was looking at previously. Thanx all for the advise)

muddy guy

Rough_Rock
I just bought an EGL stone which I was very nervous about based on their less than perfect reputation. I requested full sarin information, and running it through the HCA it received an awesom .4 TIC grade! I was still nervous, thinking that perhaps they just gave me sarin data that would come up looking good on the HCA (although, frankly, very few people are aware of the HCA). Well, when I got the stone, I was blown away! It is BEAUTIFUL! I took it to an appraiser, and the first thing he said when he opened the box was, "I can tell you right now, this is a brilliantly cut stone." Then after looking at it under the microscope and comparing it to color-grading stones, he gave me the exact grade that the cert did, and when I asked how much I would pay in his store for a diamond like that, he said exactly DOUBLE what I paid, and a whole lot more in a mall B&M. All this, and he never saw the EGL cert. I am a VERY happy EGL certed stone buyer!

Do I think this is always the case? No. Am I ecstatic with how my purchase worked out? YES! I do think it's a gamble, but as long as your dealer has a good return policy, I think you are safe.

Muddy

:)) :)) :))

muddy guy

Rough_Rock
P.S. This was even an Israeli EGL cert!

Cola

Rough_Rock
Congratulations, Muddy! Impressive indeed!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Soory M there is no quick easy way other than emailling and phoning to get the info, or buying a top of the line AGS cert'ed stone and paying the premium. The AGS are the only major lab that gives you angles.
If you use EGL then be sure to get the Sarin data before you buy. %'s are a no no!

mbn

Shiny_Rock
may i ask which dealer or store you bought the stone from?

muddy guy

Rough_Rock
Sure.

http://diamonds-usa.com/

Which is funny, because they are in Israel. They claim to have a sales office in New York, but I don't really think they do. Anyway, the site is nice, and allows you to view magnified versions of most of the stones. This is basically good for looking at inclusions, only, because it is very difficult to take a representative picture of even the most brilliant diamond. They usually answered any question within a day, including Sarin data. They would NOT send an EGL stone to GIA to be re-certed. They DO have both EGL and GIA stones, with the GIA being more expensive, of course.

Muddy

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results