shape
carat
color
clarity

holiday weekend wedding?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock

I know this has probably come up before, but how do you feel about holiday weekend weddings? I''m guessing it adds a lot to the price of travel/lodging, but is it too inconvenient? I ask because one of our possible venues only has 2 dates available in our preferred range... Sept. 1st and Oct. 27th. Sept 1st is the Saturday of labor day weekend in ''07 and I don''t know if I want to inflict that on guests traveling across the country.... but they would have monday off!

Anybody else doing/considering/done a holiday weekend?

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, if I were a guest, I wouldn't like a holiday weekend wedding.
Our family has very specific plans each labor day weekend; plans that I wouldn't want to miss out on as I don't see my family that often.
It's nice for the Bride and Groom, and the families, but I don't know how other guests might feel about it.

Just my opinion though...

Scintillating...

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
I think the main thing with holiday weekends is that most people like travelling during them. So if most of your guests will be in your immediate vicinity, they might resent losing the chance to travel on the holiday weekend because of an event on only one day. BUT if most of your guests are travelling, they''ll probably be relieved they don''t have to take a day off work AND they get a little built-in minivacation for your wedding! So I think it entirely depends on the general makeup of your guest list. I know if I got an invite for a holiday weekend in NYC (where I live) I''d be a little annoyed (no matter how much I loved the couple and was excited about the wedding) b/c then I couldn''t really make use of one of my few built-in work vacation days, but if it were a wedding elsewhere, I''d be relieved to have the extra day for it! Hope that helps!

RoseAngel04

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with what everyone else has said...it totally just depends on the guest list and circumstances.

If you know a year ahead of time that you want Labor Day 07 I''d send a "Save the date" card, so your guests will know not to make LD wkend plans.

This isn''t the same holiday but I''ve always thought a wedding around Christmas would be nice. But then again the bride/groom has to keep in mind that a lot of people travel during this time of year as well.

Hope this helps...and luck!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know our first two weddings (that sounds terrible doesn''t it) were holiday weekend ones...we had mostly OOT guests and we got SO MANY expressions of gratitude for the holiday weekend. All of our guests loved it. Of course we sent out the save the dates EARLY (9 months to the second wedding) but had already told everyone we cared about when we booked (18 months out) so it wasn''t an issue at all. I would TOTALLY have done one this time but Sept 2nd is by birthday... and well... I didn''t want the wedding on my birthday or the day before. I''m all for it. Most places will give you a NICE price break for the date too... and in DC-- I SWEAR TO YOU THIS IS TRUE--- holiday weekends (weekends generally are cheap) are actually THE MOST AFFORDABLE in terms of hotel costs. Seriously. Call the Hamilton Crown Plaza and the Sofitel and ask then their Labor day 2007 room rates... THEN compare that to their regular weekend room rates AND to their weekday rate (weekdays are MURDER in DC). DC hotels are BEGGING for business on the weekends. I know this for a fact.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
I had a holiday weekend wedding.. Memorial Day..I thought it was fantastic! It gave people the extra day to travel if they wanted it.. They didn''t have to rush back on Sunday so a lot of family stayed in town the extra day.. Or some even took extra days off becuase it was another vacation day they didn''t have to use.
Seriously.. if people would rather go camping or some crap than come to my wedding.. then i don''t want them there anyway..

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
We''re thinking of a sort of holiday wedding, too. December 30. I don''t know, though, because Christmas is sort of a busy time of year anyway, but I hate to think of being engaged into 2007. Maybe we''ll warm up to the idea of it. If not, 12-30-06 it is.

Talked to my family about it, and I know my dearest friends will make it, but we are hoping for a small wedding, so we think it may end up in our favor, since it''s rude NOT to invite some people, but you kind of just know some people won''t be able to come, what with family get togethers and the like.

Still no official decisions, though. I think LONG weekends are great for weddings!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2006 9:18:01 PM
Author: Gypsy
Sept 2nd is by birthday.
HA! This explains so much!
3.gif
I''m Sept. 1st.

** back to subject at hand **

We''re having a holiday weekend wedding GASP soon. Columbus Day. It happens to be the best time of year for everyone traveling to this area (most scenic) so when the date was available at our venue, we couldn''t resist.

So far the long distance people have been happy to have more time here (other things going on in town during that time too - not just wedding stuff). The locals haven''t complained, so I hope they''re okay too!

I did block out/guarantee reservations w/my own credit card --- one B&B for close friends in advance because I was worried about hotels filling up on that VERY POPULAR weekend up here. Two rooms left to fill or I buy ''em -- wish me luck!

jesterjigger

Shiny_Rock
As long as Save the Dates were sent out really early I wouldn''t mind a wedding on a holiday weekend. I''ve asked other people about it though and reviews have been mixed, so I think a lot of it would depend on the age of your guests, and who they are. From what I''ve seen it seems like the younger the guest the more they''d mind it, the older the guest the more they''d like it. If you decide to do it on a holiday weekend just make sure you send out STDs really far in advance, before people have a chance to make plans (if they don''t already have annual plans/traditions).

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2006 9:22:13 PM
Author: MelissaSue

Seriously.. if people would rather go camping or some crap than come to my wedding.. then i don''t want them there anyway..
AMEN to that.....this is hysterical!
9.gif

I have to say.....given enough notice, I''d absolutely go to a holiday weekend wedding, even if I normally had standing plans from year to year for that weekend. If it''s someone I care about in any way, what''s the big deal about missing a traditional weekend ONCE? It happens every other year, so you can miss it one time! No biggie to me.

And I honestly agree with Gyspy - most people I know actually *prefer* and appreciate holiday-weekend weddings. They like having the extra day so they don''t have to rush around and can really enjoy it.

Mine wasn''t a holiday weekend, but I absolutely would have done it if the date suited me.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Whew! I feel better now!!! I can definitely see both sides of it, but like MelissaSue said... if they want to go to the beach instead then we don''t want them there.... I''m not 100% set on it, but it''s good to see there is some support of it, especially since of the draft guest list we have, about 50% are from somewhere else and would have to travel. If we don''t love this venue, hopefully others will be more flexible, but I do think I''m going to like this place. It''s great to see all the perspectives on it. Thanks! Keep ''em coming!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mrs K''s tollhouse is literally up the street from where we lived!!! It''s PERFECT!!!! Except for one thing. I don''t know if the space can accomodate 50ish people in a sit down luncheon. But OH!!! It''s ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!!! I''m sending to them for information NOW.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Yea, Gypsy! I just got the info from them and it''s pretty reasonable! They do have several different seating options so I think it could work! It took her about a day and a half to get back to me, fyi.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results