shape
carat
color
clarity

Holiday Planning - Japan

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have decided to ticket off one of the destinations in my travel bucket list which is Japan, for a significant birthday treat to myself in a not too distant future! :lol-2:

I am going solo and my itinerary means I would need to go independently due to some of them not being the obvious tourist destinations.

Flying to Tokyo by Japanese Airlines, and then by train to different destinations covering:

Toyko
Toba for Mikimoto Pearl Island and Museum
Kyoto with a side trip to Kobe to visit Takahashi Pearls and to have some Kobe beef
Hiroshima to pay my respect
Nagasaki again to pay my respect

12 nights in Japan planned so far, however, it could extend.

It will cost a small fortune without the spending money for pearls on top, however, it will be worth it. I shall start saving up for pearl shopping money!!! :lol-2:

I intend to eat my way around Japan, mixing cheap eats/street foods and at least one meal at one of their 3-star restaurants (they have loads!), and yes to trying fugu too! :lol-2:

Any tips about any must see's and do's would be gratefully appreciated.

DK :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cherry blossoms
ive never been but i worked with a very typical young man - who had been there on a student exchange
He didn't seem the gardening type
but he was so impressed with the cherry blossoms

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Last edited:

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow they're also having terrible problems flying to Europe at the moment -- I'm told avoiding Ukrainian and Russian air space has turned a 7-8 hour flight from tokyo to europe into a 14 hour flight and massively spiked the cost. Planes always fly the geodesics which are the great circles on the globe, so they tend to curve upwards once theyre projected down into a carteographic map.

It might be easier to fly Emirates or something by dubai.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still have a few years to go, so planning well in advance so to speak.

I usually plan my big trips a few years in advance.

DK ;)2

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Toyko
Kyoto with a side trip to Kobe to visit Takahashi Pearls and to have some Kobe beef

Ok it sounds quite packed. Tokyo by itself can be a few days as there are quite a few must sees in Tokyo. You can also go to the Mikimoto flagship (I think at Ginza) to have a looksee? Consider Tokyo Disneyland and Disneysea. The atmosphere is fantastic. They also have Sanrio Land and Studio Ghibli museum etc depending on whether you are a fan. Pop by their department stores as well to be amazed at what you can find ( I even really love their clean high tech toilets).

Hotel rooms are typically tiny unless you splash out for the high end ones but you can also consider serviced apartments as they have laundry facilities and personally I do prefer the extra space. Plan to stay very near the subways and on a convenient line. In Tokyo depending on where u plan to visit then maybe plan for a place to stay in a station on the line you will use most often. If you plan to do day trips out of Tokyo (e.g. Mt Fuji) then plan to stay near the bus stations where the buses depart from.

Kyoto is doable as a day trip. Osaka may be a better city to be based out of. You can do Kyoto, Nara, Himeji Castle etc from Osaka and the night life/supper choices in Osaka is better too.

Haven’t been to Kobe but… if you are there to buy pearls, just plan to coincide with one of the Tokyo Jewelry fairs. I think it’s every quarter? You will be able to see so many more pearls and other blings.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
@dk168 So excited for you! @icy_jade has given very good advice on Tokyo. @Daisys and Diamonds is right about the cherry blossoms.
To me, Kyoto is special. On my last trip, I spent two weeks in Kyoto and Arashiyama. I like to soak in everything - culture, food and all the temples and gardens. If you like manga, the Manga museum might be fun. There is good food almost everywhere. I i recommend going to Nishiki market to taste the array of food and see them pound mochi (which for most families is done only in the New Year. There are many terrific restaurants. For a splurge, I highly recommend Kikunoi Honten (Main Restaurant) which is situated in beautiful natural surroundings and deserves all its three Michelin stars. https://www.tableall.com/restaurant/111
Dining reservations for Kikunoi should be made way in advance. In Arashiyama, I stayed at a ryokan called Arashiyama Benkei. It is a great way to appreciate local hospitality and home cooking. In Arashiyama you can dine at Kitcho, which has three Michelin stars too - highly recommended! https://kyoto-kitcho.com/en/restaurant/arashiyama/
I took public transport everywhere. It was relatively easy because Japan is so well organised.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @icy_jade for that, lots to digest!

I shall add a trip to Miki's flagship store to the list of must do's (I forgot), and shall research about Tokyo's jewellery fairs.

Staying at high end hotels is against my personal travelling requirements, as I would prefer budget hotels with en-suite facilities at safe, central locations, and eat my way around the destinations instead. I shall research for 3-star restaurants to visit nearer the time! :lol-2:

I am going to try ryokan hotels for some of the nights too.

I shall be going in winter so hopefully, the prices would be more reasonable. I looked for accommodation via Booking.com yesterday and the prices for the same period in 2023 are very favourable. However, I appreciate that could change when Covid is finally over.

I thought about basing myself in Osaka, however, the more traditional and old worldly Kyoto is more attractive to me.

I would probably visit a selection of the well-known temples and castles, including what I am allowed to see of the Imperial Palace in Kyoto.

I shall admire Mount Fuji from afar from the train.

Need to start saving for this trip after my trip to Arizona next year!!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shopping list so far:
Pearls, and more pearls - a strand of natural blue Akoyas would be nice, plus pendants
A fan of some sort
A kimono of some sort
Some ornamental crockery
Watercolours of local scenes (I collect these)
Gadgets that catch my eyes!

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have decided to ticket off one of the destinations in my travel bucket list which is Japan, for a significant birthday treat to myself in a not too distant future! :lol-2:

I am going solo and my itinerary means I would need to go independently due to some of them not being the obvious tourist destinations.

Flying to Tokyo by Japanese Airlines, and then by train to different destinations covering:

Toyko

It will cost a small fortune without the spending money for pearls on top, however, it will be worth it. I shall start saving up for pearl shopping money!!! :lol-2:

I intend to eat my way around Japan, mixing cheap eats/street foods and at least one meal at one of their 3-star restaurants (they have loads!), and yes to trying fugu too! :lol-2:

Any tips about any must see's and do's would be gratefully appreciated.

I have no tips, just wanted to say have a great trip, it's an awesome choice and wish I could do it too.

Edit: actually I'd look for ceramic art, better than any plastic souvenir and much more valuable.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
DK did you see Johanna Lumley do her Japanese travel series ?
You have to go for a ride on the bullet train too

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Edit: actually I'd look for ceramic art, better than any plastic souvenir and much more valuable.
Indeed ceramic art is on my shopping list, at least a couple or ramen bowls and perhaps a tea set of some sort.

Pearls are smaller and lighter to carry!

DK :lol-2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DK did you see Johanna Lumley do her Japanese travel series ?
You have to go for a ride on the bullet train too

No, I have not watched her series as I do not watch much TV.

Bullet train is on the card. I intend to travel within Japan by rail as it is cheaper than a domestic flight from Nagasaki back to Tokyo.

With the rail pass that I plan to purchase covering my stay in Japan, I shall pay a little bit extra so that I could experience the fastest train just once.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dk168 So excited for you! @icy_jade has given very good advice on Tokyo. @Daisys and Diamonds is right about the cherry blossoms.
To me, Kyoto is special. On my last trip, I spent two weeks in Kyoto and Arashiyama. I like to soak in everything - culture, food and all the temples and gardens. If you like manga, the Manga museum might be fun. There is good food almost everywhere. I i recommend going to Nishiki market to taste the array of food and see them pound mochi (which for most families is done only in the New Year. There are many terrific restaurants. For a splurge, I highly recommend Kikunoi Honten (Main Restaurant) which is situated in beautiful natural surroundings and deserves all its three Michelin stars. https://www.tableall.com/restaurant/111
Dining reservations for Kikunoi should be made way in advance. In Arashiyama, I stayed at a ryokan called Arashiyama Benkei. It is a great way to appreciate local hospitality and home cooking. In Arashiyama you can dine at Kitcho, which has three Michelin stars too - highly recommended! https://kyoto-kitcho.com/en/restaurant/arashiyama/
I took public transport everywhere. It was relatively easy because Japan is so well organised.

Thanks for the tips, and I shall bear them in mind!

When researching for accommodations, I have opted for breakfast to be included. This is my incentive to get up and start the day early so that I could pack in a lunch as well as a dinner!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can get to the Kubota museum, it would be worthwhile. https://thekubotacollection.com/museum I was lucky enough to see a traveling exhibit, and it was simply breathtaking. The kimonos are works of art, and as a textile artist myself, I have zero idea how they were actually accomplished. So much artistry and technique!

Got that with thanks!

A nice kimono is on my shopping list.

I would also like to visit the museum dedicated to the art of tattoos. Apparently it is quite gruesome to the uninitiated. o_O However, I am used to that, having been to museums and exhibitions dedicated to medical science etc...

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the tips, and I shall bear them in mind!

When researching for accommodations, I have opted for breakfast to be included. This is my incentive to get up and start the day early so that I could pack in a lunch as well as a dinner!

Yes, at some places the breakfast was so elaborate - the ryokan breakfast had rolled omelette, a fish fillet, tofu, assorted seafood soup, miso soup, and rice - that we skipped lunch and just bought snacks or ate casual meals while wandering around. I found that in Kyoto there was good food everywhere. just make sure you get to eat a variety of styles and types eg https://www.treksplorer.com/what-to-eat-in-kyoto-food-guide/
Re: souvenirs, you have a nice list! I agree ceramics are a must-buy. If you like fabrics, you might also like Japanese indigo fabric which can be both durable and chic. https://www.nippon.com/en/views/b04402/

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
No, I have not watched her series as I do not watch much TV.

Bullet train is on the card. I intend to travel within Japan by rail as it is cheaper than a domestic flight from Nagasaki back to Tokyo.

With the rail pass that I plan to purchase covering my stay in Japan, I shall pay a little bit extra so that I could experience the fastest train just once.

Yes, definitely take the train! You’ll get to see more. So excited for you @dk168. Half the fun is in the planning and anticipation.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, definitely take the train! You’ll get to see more. So excited for you @dk168. Half the fun is in the planning and anticipation.

Indeed, as domestic flights from Nagasaki or Fukuoka back to Tokyo is more than twice the Japan Rail Pass for first class travel for 14 days, and I am going independent.

I shall go from Kyoto to Nagasaki, then back to Hiroshima before returning to Tokyo for the return flight home, as going from Nagasaki to Tokyo is a long trip on the train taking an entire day!

Some may think that is crazy going independent, however, some of the places/attractions on my itinerary are not common tourist destinations (I have checked).

Not too worried about safety as Japan is a safe country and I can blend in being Chinese. :lol-2:

Not bothered about not knowing what I may be eating, as I eat everything except insects (that may change soon as I may be attending a food-related event with insects on the menu this autumn), and food is a very large part of my foreign travel enjoyment, if not the most important part! :lol-2:

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
Indeed, as domestic flights from Nagasaki or Fukuoka back to Tokyo is more than twice the Japan Rail Pass for first class travel for 14 days, and I am going independent.

I shall go from Kyoto to Nagasaki, then back to Hiroshima before returning to Tokyo for the return flight home, as going from Nagasaki to Tokyo is a long trip on the train taking an entire day!

Some may think that is crazy going independent, however, some of the places/attractions on my itinerary are not common tourist destinations (I have checked).

Not too worried about safety as Japan is a safe country and I can blend in being Chinese. :lol-2:

Not bothered about not knowing what I may be eating, as I eat everything except insects (that may change soon as I may be attending a food-related event with insects on the menu this autumn), and food is a very large part of my foreign travel enjoyment, if not the most important part! :lol-2:

Sounds great! I usually travel independently too. I found Japan to be one of the safest and easiest places to travel independently with my young daughter (she was 12 when we went). Knowing Chinese, I could make some sense of the signs too! In my work, I have met some Japanese employees of JR. As university graduates, they were made to start from the ground up. One of them drove the trains. Later, he was given a scholarship for an MBA. JR makes sure their employees know their stuff! The trains are also clean and hygienic — that is very important to me.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Added to the shopping list some Japanese kitchen knives, and a pocket steak knife if I can find one.

@AudreyC I too believe knowing Chinese and still being able to read some of the characters would help with touring Japan.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having lived in Japan for 5 years, I do miss the food and shopping. You can find some lovely tea sets, ramen bowls, etc. fairly cheap in the Ginza area.
If you get a chance while in Tokyo, go to Okachimachi this is the jewelry district and they are many stores on the back roads (not main road) this is within walking distance from Okachimachi train station. I got some great deals there and while a few stores are only wholesale, as I didn't speak/read Japanese I went in anyway and they let me purchase. I bought some lovely blue pearls there. I do miss the shopping. Everything is 18K
Mt Fuji is a sight to behold you will find some beautiful pictures there that you can purchase of Fuji.
If you are into electronics try Akiharbara
I loved getting my kimonos and Obis from the antique shops, they were simply gorgeous. I had a business in Japan ( i took obis (Japanese belt used with Kimonos and tied them in different designs and people would hang them in their house as decorations (Americans). I also decorated tea boxes with Washi paper, I will have to upload pics to show you.
If you like sushi, find a sushi go-round, restaurant where food is on a conveyor belt, price of food is determined by color of plate you just sit and wait for what you want and when it comes around take the plate at the end they add up your color plates and that it what you pay, cheap easy way to try a few pieces of sushi (blue plate might be 2 pieces of tuna sushi for 150Y and a green plate might be a bowl of ramen for 300Y. My husband loved going there, in-exspensive and fun.
You have brought back fond memories of living there, thank you for that.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the weekends, there are flea markets located in Tokyo around shrines. They are easy to find as I think there are internet links and you tube videos. These are great places to by vintage / antique kimonos, ceramics, furniture, art, glassware, jewelry, posters, books, dolls, wooden toys, and other stuff at good prices.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
@dk168 I took a wonderful solo trip to Japan waaaay back in 2008. I was young and broke, and I saved for an entire year for that trip so I wouldn't take on any debt and would be able to enjoy myself without concern. It ended up being a perfect trip.

Anyway, since you mention wanting budget accommodations, I wanted to recommend the places I stayed. In Tokyo I stayed at Hotel Sunroute Asakusa. It was modest, but the price was very reasonable, and I found it to be centrally located. Asakusa is a business district, so the hotel was aimed toward business travelers. Breakfast was complimentary in their small cafe. They also have locations in Shinjuku and Ginza.

In Kyoto, I stayed at Hotel Monterey. It was just a bit more upscale and quirky. I also found it to be well situated for navigating the city. Alas, breakfast was not included.

As others have mentioned, Arashiyama (especially the monkey park) is a must-do from Kyoto, and I also enjoyed Nara. But the best part of all was simply walking everywhere, and absorbing the cities and the culture. I look forward to going back, and I really hope you enjoy your adventure!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @lala646 for the recommendations, and I shall bear them in mind when I look for hotels nearer the time.

DK =)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results