shape
carat
color
clarity

Hilary cries...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MissErin

Brilliant_Rock
Hilary Clinton was giving a speech and was asked "How are you doing??" by a woman in the crowd and responded with tears and thankful words. This was far from the image she portays in the media and got me wondering...

Was this tearful reponse due to the media and the lastest caucus results??

OR

Was it a heartfelt, true response to being touched by a sincere question??

And obviously the aspect of sleep deprivation is also a factor... But beyond that, how do you feel??

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I dont really care either way. I care about what a candidate stands for. So she showed she was human by showing emotion, big deal. I dont have a problem with that.

MissErin

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/8/2008 12:42:34 PM
Author: surfgirl
I dont really care either way. I care about what a candidate stands for. So she showed she was human by showing emotion, big deal. I dont have a problem with that.

I care about the canidates platforms too - but I thought this was just something interesting. I know it''s not the typical question, but I was just curious about how people felt. I''m not saying this should sway votes.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whether she is upset re: latest results OR sleep deprived OR at her wits end...(or all three which is probably the case), they all lead up to the same thing. The woman is under an enormous emount of stress. She probably doesn't show emotion because people will pounce on it and scrutinize it....exactly like the questions asked here.

She probably doesn't want to look like an emotional woman in a political arena filled with men...not so atypical...many women do that in corporate and professional environments as well.

MissErin

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/8/2008 1:15:41 PM
Author: Mara
Whether she is upset re: latest results OR sleep deprived OR at her wits end...(or all three which is probably the case), they all lead up to the same thing. The woman is under an enormous emount of stress. She probably doesn''t show emotion because people will pounce on it and scrutinize it....exactly like the questions asked here.

She probably doesn''t want to look like an emotional woman in a political arena filled with men...not so atypical...many women do that in corporate and professional environments as well.

I agree with you. I actually, in watching, felt bad because I knew this would be something others would consider a downfall. In all honesty, I think I like her more because of it. It showed me that she is a human being like everyone else. We all have moments that we break down due to different causes and this just highlighted that reality. I think, whether it was purposeful (which I doubt) or not, this was something very positive for her in various ways.

Thanks for the thoughts Mara.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I was surprised when I saw the actual footage -

-because she didn''t cry. Her voice cracked a little, she paused a bit more than she does normally, her voice shook a bit -

but crying? That''s not my definition of crying. I feel like there needs to be tears to constitute as crying. It was such a NOTHING event, I don''t know why it got coverage.

It bothers me how careless TV journalists can be with their headlines and word choices: "Hillary gives heartfelt/emotional response" not "Hillary cries, cracking under pressure"

I''m not even a Hillary supporter, but it bothers me when journalists try to MAKE the news rather than simply describing events. Grrrrr.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2008 5:37:23 PM
Author: Elmorton
I was surprised when I saw the actual footage -

-because she didn''t cry. Her voice cracked a little, she paused a bit more than she does normally, her voice shook a bit -

but crying? That''s not my definition of crying. I feel like there needs to be tears to constitute as crying. It was such a NOTHING event, I don''t know why it got coverage.

It bothers me how careless TV journalists can be with their headlines and word choices: ''Hillary gives heartfelt/emotional response'' not ''Hillary cries, cracking under pressure''

I''m not even a Hillary supporter, but it bothers me when journalists try to MAKE the news rather than simply describing events. Grrrrr.
Elmorton, I agree. I heard the snip on NPR and it was hardly crying. She got choked up when someone asked how she gets through it all. It''s like she''s damned if she doesn''t show emotion and she''s damned if she does. I was dreading people making a big deal about it because after so many have complained that she seems "cold", I knew people would pounce on this as well and twist it around. All I know is I could never withstand the scrutiny and BS surrounding running for office. Sadly, it becomes about so much other crap, rather than the bottom line issues, and that is sad.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2008 1:19:22 PM
Author: MissErin

I actually, in watching, felt bad because I knew this would be something others would consider a downfall. In all honesty, I think I like her more because of it. It showed me that she is a human being like everyone else.
They were talking about this on the news today (of course)... that it will hurt her with some voters, who were already questioning her ability to handle the office based solely on the fact that she is a woman, and that it will help her with some voters who feel she's been too cold.

And re: showing her "human" side... honestly, I'm more inclined to believe that she let her emotion take over for a bit, in response to criticism over being too unfeeling. Politicians alter their behavior all the time in order to have a desired effect on voters--this tactic is just less used. Perhaps she's given up on being "equal" and is trying to now play the female card to her advantage. Who knows... it could be any or none of those things.

I do see what you mean, though. I'm just quite accustomed to seeing people behave in one way or the other in order to manipulate their situation. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer!
2.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2008 6:04:52 PM
Author: musey

Perhaps she''s given up on being ''equal'' and is trying to now play the female card to her advantage.
Well, if this is what she was trying to do, it looks like it worked!
3.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
9.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/9/2008 5:19:54 PM
Author: HollyS

9.gif
Huge DITTO.
2.gif
39.gif
9.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2008 4:10:25 AM
Author: monarch64

Date: 1/9/2008 5:19:54 PM

9.gif
Huge DITTO.
Thritto

The most disgusting thing is that the media is running this story ad nauseam and now the news is showing how crying helps you or hurts you, etc., please!
14.gif
I just turned on the Today Show to find out the weather and they were talking about crying at weddings and other places and then moved on to the Hillary discussion. I watched the Hillary clip out of curiosity and I would not call that crying!!!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Media! Damn free speech!
9.gif

After 3 days of being housebound with the flu, I can assure you that I know exactly what is wrong with America - - and the world. Everybody . . . for the love of God . . . or whatever you believe in. . . turn off your TV!!! If we would all stop watching this drivel, including "news" shows, we might be a kinder, gentler human race capable of thinking for ourselves and doing right by our fellow man. Good gosh, when I think of the brain cells I''ve killed in the last 3 days. . . . .

I''m only half joking.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/10/2008 6:41:09 PM
.... I know exactly what is wrong with America - - and the world. Everybody . . . for the love of God . . . . . turn off your TV!!! If we would all stop watching this drivel, including ''news'' shows, we might be ... capable of thinking for ourselves . . . . .

I''m only half joking.
I couldn''t agree more, and I''m not joking!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL I totally agree about the TURN OFF THE TV!!! For so many reasons. The only tv my daughter watches are the Saturday morning cartoons and movies we rent from netflix.

Now how I wean myself off the internet
3.gif
?

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
I think this is a big-ticket news story only b/c Hilary is a woman--it''s a perfect story b/c it can be framed in so many ways....but at the heart of it, i believe, is the notion that women are not as tough as men (read: not as suited for a high power position such as president) Really, if one of the male canidates had his voice crack and pause during a speech do you think it would garner such reaction? My suspicion is no.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results