shape
carat
color
clarity

High Settings for Diamond Solitaires

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone else think that very high settings for diamond solitaires looks very elegant?

I know there is a downside too regarding it getting caught in everything.

Does anyone have any pictures?

What are the pros and cons of different setting styles i.e. high setting vs low settings?

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I prefer a pretty high setting. I think a very low setting is a more casual look. Just for reference, I measured the height of my setting. I measured from the shank where it rests on the top of my finger to the table of my diamond. It is 8 mm. Is this considered high or medium?

I generally don't get my ring caught on things, but I do take it off when I am home. When I had infants, I never wore my diamond ring because I would scratch them during diaper changes -- ouch!
eek.gif

DiamondLil

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my opinion I would say 8mm is high. I will have to measure my ring, I have two which are particularly high.

Yes, I have heard people before saying about high set rings scratching themselves and others.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I was the most radical proponent of low set stones, until I actually took a ruler to see where my rings stand for PS posting sake. The results came between 5 and 7 for 'casuals' and, well, 15-20 for 'fashion' rings (sample size = 9, ring size 3-4). I must say that the 'casual' rings are all cabs - with the maximum height tapering gently down to the shank. To me, an e-ring type piece hovering at 6mm height felt extremely uncomfortable - in comparison.

After this, I would venture to say that the style of the ring matters just as much as actual height, say, up to 10mm or so.

One thing I do not understand: some settings keep a small stone hovering in space above the finger at a dizzying height and above a huge empty space. I would never understand why is that desirable
eek.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
This is interesting. I went and measured my other rings (what I would consider my right-hand rings). Although my engagement ring that I wear on my left hand measured 8 mm in height, my other rings measure between 4 mm up to my highest of 9 mm. The heigh has a lot to do with the style of the ring and the depth of the stones. My lowest setting, the 4 mm, is a cabachon stone ring. My highest, the 9 mm, is a 3 ct tourmaline.

I'm with you, Val. I have seen quite a few small-stone rings with a really high head where there is a large space under the stone. Seems to be an attempt to make the stone look larger maybe? I think it would look nicer if it was at a height more proportional to the size of the stone. In other words, a stone of 0.50 ct would definitely look better set at a height of 4 to 5 mm while a larger stone of say 3 ct would look better at 8 or 9 mm. In the larger stones, it would be impossible to set too low since the depth of the stone itself would always be the driving force in the overall height.

DiamondLil

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Ana, Diamondlil, Agreed with the low set e-rings....The one I have now is very high set with at least 3mm between the stone's pavillion and the shank, but it's most likely going to be set literally to the finger (or .5mm higher) I am going for as lowset as possible, because i have a feeling I may either lodge this ring (or prong) in something and regret it, or snag on towels, or expensive sweaters, etc...
nono.gif

daboyzmomi

Shiny_Rock
Personally I LOVE a high mount. I think it adds to the drama of the diamond and I love the way it makes the center stone stand out. My ring is a little to low for my taste right now, but I can't dare be with out it so I live with it for now..lol. I never have issues with it snaggin etc. because I never wear it doing daily chores or around the house so it has never bothered me. I think it also depends on the setting you have too. Some of the 3 stone rings look nice in the low setting.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 3/23/2004 12:28:30 PM Nicrez wrote:

I am going for as lowset as possible, because i have a feeling I may either lodge this ring (or prong) in something and regret it, or snag on towels, or expensive sweaters, etc...
nono.gif

----------------

Okay, i also love low mountings. . .This is certainly a personal preference and I wouldn't let snagging on clothing stop me from getting a higher mounting IF this is what I fancied lol But, then I don't have any expensive sweaters
sad.gif
so, snagging on ANYTHING other than GAP t-shirts isn't among my concerns and mostly my obstacles are dangers like red dye #5, not anything sparkily.
2.gif

Michelle

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Measured my ring and it is 7mm from the finger to the table. I love this height.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results