shape
carat
color
clarity

High End Watches?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tanner12oz

Rough_Rock
this is slightly off topic but i was wondering if there is any info available on higher end watches?? is there a forum like this for watches? any basic info out there....things to look for...things to avoid? thanks

shoot, I want to know too. I want to know why Citizen watches in Japan are so much more expensive than Citizne watches in America.

Just demand? or craftsmanship, materials? what the heck?

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Yes, try www.timezone.com. They have forums for all the high end brands. As a warning, Rolex is a starting point there. If you''re really interested in fine time pieces you can learn all about Jaeger le Coultre, Ulysses Nardin, Patek, IWC, etc. as well as some of the more obscure high end small horological houses. Enjoy!

He Scores

Shiny_Rock
Once you learn about high end watches, try Watcheslikenew.com for great buys on used ones. He''s a friend of mine and I bought two Breitlings from him. He''s an honest guy with a one year WLN warranty.

Tell him I sent you.

Bill Bray
Diamond Cutter
Inside Tips Dept.

tanner12oz

Rough_Rock
what are the main differences between a good regular watch and higher end?? is the difference in time reading precision? components? brand name?

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
tanner, basically, it's like apples and oranges. You can get a reliable Casio/Citizen/Seiko, etc. and be fine for the rest of your life. Hell, I have a Tag dive watch that's been on my wrist all over the world over the last 15 years. I just buy a new strap and battery every couple of years and it's totally reliable in the field.

On the other hand, you can get a Rolex, which holds its value mainly because it's perceived to be a "luxury high end" brand. But I think Rolex is more of a luxury workhorse "watch". They usually keep good time and it takes a lot to break one. On the other hand, the higher end watches I consider "time pieces" and they are marvels of horological art. The machinations of creating a tiny machine that self-winds and tells you not only time time, but the day, date, moon phases, etc. is a marvel really, when you consider how many teeny tiny parts go into making a time piece actually work. That and the fact that they keep themselves going if you wear them often enough...It still amazes me. Also, there is a huge difference between, say a Rolex and a JLC, Patek or UN. If you opened them up, you'd see that the Rolex, while very reliable, is more industrial and rougher in its internal finishings. If you look at the internal components of a JLC, Patek or UN, you will see that each tiny piece has been hand finished with intricate polishing patterns, and sometimes the bridges are actually carved with ornate decorations - tiny pieces of art that are also functioning machinery pieces, each with its own precise job to do. Combined, to give you, the wearer, a tiny work of scultptural art that also functions as a time keeping device. Ingenious! I could go on and on...I love my Rolex and it's a beast - I can sail in it, swim in it, dive in it and it will be okay. But when I put on my JLC, I feel like I have a very special little art piece on my wrist and it also tells time. I love watching the sweep second hand gracefully glide around the face of the dial...ahhhhhhhhh, so satisfying, so totally unnecessary, but so wonderful, nonetheless!

ETA: In an auto context, I'd say that most watches are in the imported brand category (Toyotas, VWs, etc I'd liken to Seiko, Tag, etc.). Then you have the BMW/Benz category (Rolex) that are luxury workhorses. Then you have a big leap between that and say, Lamborghini's, Ferarri's, etc., which I'd liken to Patek, JLC, UN, etc.). And what makes those cars more "high end" is the little details and finishings...

You can also try www.watchpro.com

LooseOnTheLead

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/16/2007 6:37:46 PM
Author: surfgirl
Yes, try www.timezone.com. They have forums for all the high end brands. As a warning, Rolex is a starting point there. If you''re really interested in fine time pieces you can learn all about Jaeger le Coultre, Ulysses Nardin, Patek, IWC, etc. as well as some of the more obscure high end small horological houses. Enjoy!
I disagree with the statement that "Rolex is a starting point", assuming I''m interpreting you correctly. There are plenty of Timezone discussions on less-expensive watches. As an aside, I will note that Rolex isn''t a terribly popular brand there, although it does have its fans.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results