shape
carat
color
clarity

High carat, colorless, VVS, ACA or BGD diamonds

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be many high carat, colorless, VVS or better ACA or BGD diamonds. Curious if this is due to rarity and value? My speculation is that the carats lost/ROI to get the ideal cut isn't worth it for them. Can any ACA or BGD experts weigh in on this?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspect it's more due to demand - not many people are wanting to buy $100k diamonds, so it's not worth it to keep them in stock. They could probably source them or BGD could custom cut them for you - but remember the superideal vendors have their diamonds in stock and own them, so they probably don't stock things that are unlikely to move.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Agree it's pretty much both the rarity and demand reasons, especially when we are aiming high in both color and carity. This could cost a lot more than sth. like I VV2 or F SI 1.

One thing I'd like to add, it's good to also consider HPD no matter you are looking for in-stock inventory or custom cut~

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I noticed yesterday that WF have a “Collection Series” of diamonds- all DEF VVS+ stones.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree it's pretty much both the rarity and demand reasons, especially when we are aiming high in both color and carity. This could cost a lot more than sth. like I VV2 or F SI 1.

One thing I'd like to add, it's good to also consider HPD no matter you are looking for in-stock inventory or custom cut~

Yes - HPD has two big high-color, high-clarity CBIs listed right now: a 3.25 E VVS2 at $98,670 and a 3.75 D VVS2 at $144,540.

Consider also they have a 2.08 D IF for $64,728 - and you could get a 2.02 G VS2 for only $30,069. That sort of price difference is, I suspect, why they don't have too many. Most people are going to go for the one that looks pretty much the same but is half the price.

I think HPD lists all the CBI diamonds though? So they don't have to own them, which I'm sure makes a difference.

(I also don't know what size we're considering big - I was assuming 3 ct+.)

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Makes sense! I was originally searching for around 2.5ct or higher, but there aren't any ACAs much larger than 1ct with the specs. I was just curious, not looking to buy at this time!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Makes sense! I was originally searching for around 2.5ct or higher, but there aren't any ACAs much larger than 1ct with the specs. I was just curious, not looking to buy at this time!
For your reading, and visual, pleasure -- the story, with additional links, behind a PSer's earring stud: a custom-cut 3.58 ct, D Flawless, type IIA diamond from Crafted by Infinitity and High Performance Diamonds:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can also tell WF what you're looking for when you are ready to buy and they can see what their cutters have. I have seen people request stones before and they have been able to source what they wanted.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Remember, each one of these criterion can be tough to source INDIVIDUALLY. Now you are wanting to COMBINE them. This makes it considerably harder to find.

High carat = tough
High carat + D-F = tougher x 2
High carat + D-F + VVS = tougher x 3
High carat + D-F + VVS + ideal cut = tougher x 4

And I don't even think the above accurately describes the severity when you start combining the factors, as it's just not double or triple hard. For instance, if 20 stones meets large carat, you may reduce to 10 stones with D-F color. With all factors combined maybe only 1 stone meets, which would theoretically be 20x harder to source.

Additionally as you indicated, price comes into play. Price and rarity tend to coincide with each other, so as you start combining rarity the price starts exponentially climbing as well. Your average Joe isn't looking for a D IF super ideal stone, nor willing (or possibly capable) of paying for such a stone. So sometimes these type of diamonds may be more of a collector piece for enthusiasts or diamond investors.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
When I was searching for my ER upgrade last year, I ran into the same problem. Since I live in the Houston area, I was able to sit down at WF and look at the diamonds they had at the time in the range I wanted. There was only one diamond that was a contender for me. It was the right carat weight 2.8 but it was an E, and I am the most color sensitive person you will every meet in your life, so I could tell from across the table it just wasn't as white as the Ds I had been looking at. I knew then that I was going to have to have a diamond custom cut. That is a somewhat risky proposition when you are talking in this size/color/clarity range. I love Whiteflash and many of their ACAs are breathtaking and their customer service is exemplary. However, I didn't find their ACA diamonds to ALL be equally beautifully cut. There was too much variation from one diamond to another for me to feel comfortable placing such a large order with them and agreeing to buy a diamond sight unseen.

So I flew to Idaho and met with Wink to see the CBIs in person. In my opinion, the CBIs were much more similar to one another, less variation in cut. Also, I found the cut more to my liking so I felt more comfortable placing my custom cut order with HPD. I do believe there is a slight difference in the personality of the two different lines of super ideal (ACA vs CBI) and we each much select what suits us best.

I did not look at BGD. I was going to do that next after going to Idaho, but seeing the CBIs in person completely sold me on them. I would still like to see the BGD Black line someday, I have heard excellent things about it.

I am not a diamond expert, I am the first to admit that. However, I am an expert "seer." Literally. My eyes are insured for far more than my engage ring. ;-)

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i'm really curious what kind of work you do with your superpowered eyes, if you're comfortable giving us an idea. what a cool ability!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
i'm really curious what kind of work you do with your superpowered eyes, if you're comfortable giving us an idea. what a cool ability!

same!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results