shape
carat
color
clarity

hiding imclusions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mary

Rough_Rock
Does a bezel or semi bezel, hide or diminish inclusions? I have a 3.85 emerald cut, H color but has been clarity enhanced and it is noticible from the side. I want to reset but am nervous that setting it in a bezel may harm the diamond during the reset.

m

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
My advice is discuss this with the setter himself and if possible the store''s gemologist.

When advised of the situation, a well experiened setter can do things to avoid a problem.

Ask about what liability they are able to accept, if any.

In the you have a filled stone, I am not sure anyone would take on that liability.

But there shouldn''t be a problem.... of course no guarantees....

Rockdoc

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
mary,

Definitely talk to the setter. Actually, with this size of stone, you will almost certainly need to have at least the bezel, and possibly the entire ring custom made to fit your stone. This said, the designer should be able to make suggestions that will address your problem in a way that doesn''t compromise the durability of the stone.

The fragility of filled stones will depend on the nature of the original inclusion, not on the filling itself. The presence of the filling does not make these issues any better or any worse. I think this is an area where I disagree with Rockdoc although his advise is good (as always). If there is a durability concern, the jeweler may need to make some design adjustments to address them. I know quite a few setters that will assume the liability of setting such a stone if they have manufactured the piece and they are given the opportunity to simply decline the jobs that are a bad idea.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results