shape
carat
color
clarity

Hidden Netflix Gem Thread

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
Finding anything on Netflix unless you are specifically looking for it is a nightmare.

So this thread is to share things you watch on Netflix that others might not have seen.

Looking for the hidden gems, things like Breaking Bad and House of Cards are too obvious.

Movies or TV shows welcome

Here are mine:
28 Hotel Rooms (Movie)
All of the 30 for 30s (For Sports Fans)
Dear Zachary: A Letter to a son about his father (Movie Really interesting, but very sad story, dont read anything about the movie if you decide to watch it)
Equilibrium (Movie)
The Fosters (TV Series)
Medium (TV Series)

I'll be back with more. Your turn!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Every time I see my sister she tells me to watch Dear Zachary. Her favorite channel is Investigative Discovery so I am a bit afraid.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How to Die in Oregon was informative and deeply moving.

I walked around in a daze for the whole day after seeing Dear Zachary.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The fall is an amazing show.

If you love camp-tastic British TV shows Primeval is really great.

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
I liked both Primeval and Medium so I will second those.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The killing. It took me a few episodes to get into it but once I was, I loved it.
The 100. Kind of hunger games-esque. (comes back tmr!)
The mindy project. I learn so many life lessons from dear mindy.

I'm not sure if I will have the recommendations on here (canadian netflix =\) but I will sure look.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
blackprophet|1421855126|3819854 said:
VapidLapid|1421852628|3819840 said:
Black Mirror

I watched the first Black Mirror episode. I can't do any more.

Yes the first episode was pretty in tense. Well, gross really, but it was absolutely key to the story.
Later eposides are still intense but not so gross. And the writing, direction and acting are all quite extraordinary.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
we've watched the first several episodes of the 100 and liked it. We like sci fi stuff tho. I have a horrible naughty bad habit of reading imdb while we're watching things. My husband is the one who "found" the show for us to watch, and he apparently took my laughing and reading the reviews to him as criticism, even tho I was enjoying the show-I don't go by reviews but they were immensely comical..soooo we haven't watched it for a while b/c he got mad.

I would recommend Perfect Host. We've watched it a couple times. It stars David Hyde Pierce, Niles from Frasier.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1421868768|3819985 said:
we've watched the first several episodes of the 100 and liked it. We like sci fi stuff tho. I have a horrible naughty bad habit of reading imdb while we're watching things. My husband is the one who "found" the show for us to watch, and he apparently took my laughing and reading the reviews to him as criticism, even tho I was enjoying the show-I don't go by reviews but they were immensely comical..soooo we haven't watched it for a while b/c he got mad.

I would recommend Perfect Host. We've watched it a couple times. It stars David Hyde Pierce, Niles from Frasier.
I haven't read any of the reviews haha. It gets pretty interesting further in, but I wont ruin anything for you :)

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Black Mirror

This is what I thought of, the top of my head.

I also loved Dirk Gently Holistic Detective agency, if you want something equally odd, but more light hearted.

My husband in addition to of course the zombie tv show, has been watching Peaky Blinders.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely loved United States of Tara.

And of course, my all time favorite is Sons of Anarchy. LOVE LOVE LOVE that show!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
telephone89|1421874856|3820054 said:
packrat|1421868768|3819985 said:

I haven't read any of the reviews haha. It gets pretty interesting further in, but I wont ruin anything for you :)

ooof, at this point I about need to start at the beginning again. I spent probably too much time reading on imdb rather than actually watching the show. I remember where we were the last time we watched. Man he was irritated w/me for reading those reviews to him. :praise:

There was another show that he watched that I didn't...Terra Nova maybe? It was another sci fi-ish one I think. He said the budget was blown and they quit filming it or something. He was disappointed, said it was good.

Um..let's see, I watched a movie called Side Effects-it was pretty good I thought.

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
The Mindy Project

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Netflix has some really good films from the silent era.......

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
The series Shameless. The US version. Not th British one.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
Two more movies

Detachment
Short Term 12

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
If you want a creeptastic movie I suggest Session 9. Most of the movie was filmed in Danvers mental hospital before it was demolished and made into condo's. The movie isn't so much about the acting as it is about the building. That place had a presence.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I watched "Life" twice. Zen detective. Funny and intelligent series.

LaBellaVita

Rough_Rock
If you like documentaries I HIGHLY recommend watching Virunga (a Netflix original). It was intense, moving, educational --- the list goes on.

Here is the blurb from IMDB:

A group of brave individuals risk their lives to save the last of the world's mountain gorillas; in the midst of renewed civil war and a scramble for Congo's natural resources.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3455224/

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the Netflix version of the Borgias - fear and faith, better than the one on the premium cable channels.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eureka. Somehow we missed it when it aired on TV but our family loved it.
Dr. Pol.
Jiro it is about a famous sushi chef in Tokyo

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Black Mirror

I watched all of them and did not enjoy them. It was too off for my taste but yet like looking at a car accident.

I just finished the second season of "The Fall." So good.

ETA: If you are looking to smile, "Advance Style" is so cute. It is a documentary.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tacori E-ring|1421982855|3820716 said:
Black Mirror

I watched all of them and did not enjoy them. It was too off for my taste but yet like looking at a car accident.

ETA: If you are looking to smile, "Advance Style" is so cute. It is a documentary.

I follow the Advanced Style blog! I didn't know there was a documentary, that's awesome. Will make a point of watching. I love the blog because it gives me hope for a fabulous foray into old fogey-hood. ;))

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1421984728|3820729 said:
Tacori E-ring|1421982855|3820716 said:
Black Mirror

I follow the Advanced Style blog! I didn't know there was a documentary, that's awesome. Will make a point of watching. I love the blog because it gives me hope for a fabulous foray into old fogey-hood. ;))

I LOVED it! Those women are AMAZING.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you like British TV shows, Five Days, MI:5, Doc Martin, and Scott and Bailey might be worth checking out.

Grace Point was on Fox earlier this year but I think it was only a one season show. It was really good though. It was the US version of Broadchurch, a British TV show.

Is Orphan Black available on Netflix? I think it might be, or maybe it's Hulu. I can't remember. Anyway, it's a a sci-fi series from Canada. I don't usually like sci-fi, but that one's worth checking out.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely loved Scott and Bailey, great female detective series! I watch Canadian, US and British Netflix (until they stop allowing my go around). Les Revenants (The Returned) was a great series. Can't wait for season 2. I'm currently watching The Paradise about a shop girl in the first British dept. store. Also loved Downton Abbey, The Killing, and surprisingly, Hannibal was amazing. I was afraid to watch Hannibal but it is so perfectly nuanced, it was in a way, delightful. There was a very good Australian series, Wentworth, nothing like Orange is the New Black, but a similar prison setting. Secrets and Lies, another Aussie mystery thriller was good too. The British series Broadchurch was amazing, another murder mystery with David Tennant. I don't watch tv, I watch Netflix. :cheeky:

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
Dear Zachary left me shaken. We are 10 episodes into the first season of The 100. We binge watched all 10 yesterday. I hope Netflix gets the second season right after the tv showings. We are looking forward to the second season of The Fall. We liked Rectify but Netflix has yet to get season 2. It's the same for call The Midwives. We missed the last season on PBS and it has yet to show up on Netflix.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1421937400|3820338 said:
I like the Netflix version of the Borgias - fear and faith, better than the one on the premium cable channels.

It WAS great!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results