shape
carat
color
clarity

Hi! Would you look at a sapphire with me?

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock
Hi all! I'm new here. I've been lurking on pricescope, reading tons of threads (especially in colored stones! :love: ) for a few weeks now, and I wanted to ask your opinion on a sapphire we recently acquired.

So, before sparkly pictures, the backstory:
My boyfriend and I have been together about 4 and a half years. He's a cop, and I'm a grad student, so we don't have a lot of money. We've (well, especially me) been looking at settings and stones for an engagement ring a while now... because I'm kind of picky and unconventional, and had no idea what I wanted. Also, the big difficulty is that it's a very limited budget, about $500 total. Realistically, he could afford to spend more, but we're early in our lives, I'm honestly not much of a fancy jewelry sort of person, and I'd rather he spend his money elsewhere, and just get something that I like that isn't expensive.

Oh, the other problem (related to the setting, not the stone) is that I have a nickel allergy (can't wear conventional white gold), and yellow or rose gold don't suit my complexion. Platinum is out of the budget, so I've been focusing on palladium rings.

So, before I looked on pricescope, I've been looking at stones all around the web, and finding a lot was out of the budget. I had pretty much settled on either sapphire or spinel (due to the colors available, and the durability of the stones, since I intend to wear my ring constantly, other than heavy duty stuff like gardening and dishes).

I was doing an ebay search, and found a stone that just sang to me. It was a light blue green sapphire (like the color of my boyfriends eyes :love: ), round cut, not too big or small, and very, very inexpensive. I showed it to my boyfriend, and he said we should try to get it. We won! And it's been in the mail ever since (it was from the seller thaigemstore, who have had some unhappy customers here, but I didn't know that yet). It took about a month to get here, so it just arrived.

In the intervening month, I found pricescope again (it came up frequently during my searches for stones that would be appropriate for my lifestyle), and started really reading and finding out about colored stones, cut, and seeing a whole lot of eye candy. A few days ago, I thought to do a search on the ebay seller on pricescope, and found the thread with unhappy customers (and the vendor pictures thread as well). I'm actually really glad I didn't find it earlier, as it would have given me a much longer time to fret about it. One of the people here (I can't remember who, sorry!) had a picture of a sapphire in an apparently similar color family as the one I got, and it looked just horrible in person, so I set my hopes pretty low. Especially for the price, I figured the stone probably would not look very good, and I knew almost nothing about a well cut colored stone before I started reading here.

To be honest, it looks much better in person than I had been hoping for, though of course much smaller than the picture. And a little less pretty, but I also haven't seen it in natural light as I got it after dark.

So, I wanted to ask the more experienced eyes at PS if it looks like an okay stone. After seeing so many unbelievably gorgeous stones here, I am wondering if I'm going to end up unhappy with this one, since it's probably not a very good cut. I'm also wondering if it has windowing (or a bow tie, depending on the background) and I'm not sure if it will close up in the setting or not.

It is a 1.09 carat 5.5mm round (4mm deep), unheated and untreated light blue green sapphire. The clarity is described as SI 1 (I can't see any inclusions in this light, but I don't know if I could identify inclusions anyway), and the luster as "very good". You can see the green parts if you look at the back of the stone, but I didn't include any pictures of the back.

It probably doesn't need to be said, but the pictures are pretty terrible. I was hoping to make a collage, but my computer died and I don't have photoshop! I think flash vs. no flash is fairly obvious. This is in incandescent lighting, and the room is not very bright.
(Please see the next post for more photos before judging, I did not realize that you had to do attachments on pricescope and only 4 per post!)

For reference, this is the seller's photo.

So what do you think? Please be (constructively) honest, I really want honest opinions. Do you think there is a window, and if so, will it close in a setting? I have been leaning towards a bezel setting with an open gallery, which I'm not sure is the best for that.

Also, does anyone have recommendations for inexpensive but good jewelry makers for the setting? There is no one locally who works with palladium. I was thinking about DanielM or Heartofwater/Sally on etsy, but both of them only mention working in gold or silver, which don't work well with my nickel allergies/ complexion/ skin. I haven't asked them any questions yet, I wanted to get the stone first. I would be fine with palladium white gold instead, or anything hypoallergenic.

Thank you for reading this total monster thread! I'm a bit of a blabberfingers. :wavey:

sapphire.jpg

IMG_2717-1.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

IMG_2730.jpg

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock
More pictures.

These ones, taken on my hand, are the most color accurate in this light (which again, is not very bright or direct incandescent lighting).

Thank you again for reading all of this! 8)

IMG_2733.jpg

IMG_2738.jpg

IMG_2746.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I think you may be able to do better with a budget of 500$.
The sapphire looks kind of gray in the photos, though I can't tell if that's the photos or the gem itself since I know it can be really hard to take good photos, especially at the beginning!

But 500$ can go a long way in colored gem world! And I think if this is going to be your engagement ring, you should go with something you'll love looking at everyday. And if you already have doubts about this sapphire making you happy already, you may regret using it down the line you know?

Do you love the color? Are you only concerned about the window?

if the window is your only concern, you may be able to diminish it with a setting but putting metal behind it.

I don't know if Sally or Daniel work with Palladium, I would try Daniel first though as his prices are a bit better.

ETA:
Here's an untreated sapphire from Dana you might like. It would leave 300$ for a setting which is enough for a solitaire setting.
http://mastercutgems.com/preview.php?cat=251&id=5216

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Chloe and congratulations on your engagement!

The stone? well... I have to admit, I don't find it to be very close to the vendor photos. However, you have to love the stone, and if the color really sings to you then thats what matters the most.

In your photos, the stone dosen't look like its returning light that well, and yes, its got a window dead center of the stone. would a setting close it up? its possible yes. I know some settings can close smallish windows, but I really don't know about this one, tbh.

I know you said you weren't finding much in your price range, but how about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-01ct-Exceptional-Round-Rose-Cut-Intense-Blue-Sapphire-/350203297978?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item5189be40ba

its got the unusual cut, its not terribly expensive, and you can get a cert on it for an additional 30 bucks.

Granted its not blue/green though.

on green's, here's a lovely montana sapphire. Its from litnon. This one is on his winter sale.

http://litnon.com/preview.php?cat=352&id=8595

I think every woman who wants an engagement ring should have a lovely one. I'm just afraid that this stone may perform as you would like.

The company you purchased from apparently had very good quality stones at one time, but well.. anyway I can't I was too happy with my stone from them, but at least I got it and it was the real thing.

-A

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Some of the photos make the stone look murky. I don't know how hard it would be to return the stone, as I have never returned one, but other posters on here have. If you returned it, would you insist upon an unheated stone? That could make the difference in whether or not you could get a better stone if you decide to return this one.

edited for spelling errors only!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Welcome Chloe. Yes thaigemstore has a bad rep with some on this forum. Ive had no dealings with them so cant say first hand. Only that nothing Ive seen of their work has made me curious to try them. Yes the stone is windowed. I think if you decide to return it you should be able to find something nice and well cut and still stay in your total budget. Do you have setting ideas? I think you should be able to find a nice setting in the $350 range and a good stone in the 5.5 - 6 mm size around $150. Have you looked at the logr or lanbo settings?

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock
Replies already! Thank you guys, I appreciate the input and please, anyone else with a comment, keep it coming.

I do apologize for the terrible photos, if it's sunny tomorrow I'll try to get better (and it'll help to tell if I like the stone or not, since I'm okay-to-ambivalent right now).

So, the inspiration for the color I'm looking for is somewhat from my boyfriend's eyes, but honestly, it's mostly just colors I like and feel would be reasonably flattering.

Arcadian, I feel like the color is closer to the video. I'm going to go ahead and post the ebay link so you can see the video if you'd like.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=370470393184&si=M0fcejJf56YSW9PCZ7ccKgVtibA%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I actually do not want an "ideal" blue sapphire color. I'm looking for something that's blue-green to blue-lavender. Nothing too dark or saturated, and I want it to have good flash. Originally I was thinking about blue gray (which is my eye color) but I don't know if a gray gem is really going to look very good, so I scratched that idea.

I LOVE the green sapphire in the link you posted, Arcadian (at least the more right pictures), but most green sapphires I've seen are too yellow for my taste, I prefer cooler greens. I do like color change sapphires. I'm fine with heated, but no other treatments.

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
no problems Chloe, we're all here to help each other. the ladies have posted some really good options for you. Ideal color isn't the only way to go, but, I posted that one so you just so you could see if you did want to go that route its totally possible.

Montana sapphires can come in some really lovely colors. I think some of them can have that icyness that your looking for. (call it grayishness or whatever :lol:) and many many times they're unheated.

Dana used to have a lot listed but I've just been to his page and didn't see any. He could be one to send an email to just to see what he may have thats not on his website.

Also, if you like the one on litnon, I would email Michael and ask him about it. Its quite a big stone so would have some serious finger coverage. I've always found him lovely to work with.

-A

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Chloe and welcome! :wavey:

It was me with the similar sapphire and you probably saw my rant about the Ebay seller as well! He doctors his photos and videos and generally isn't a pleasant person to deal with - you probably saw some of his posts on here.

Ok, laying that aside - firstly, do you want to keep the sapphire? With a budget of $500 you honestly could do much better but if you've fallen in love with the stone then of course we have to make it work for you. If you decide to return it then you should contact him fairly quickly a I believe there is a returns timeframe and you don't want to miss that.

It does have a very large window - as did mine - and you can minimise it somewhat by using a setting that has a lot of metal under the basket. You will still notice the cut is "off" but at least most of the colour will remain in the stone and not vanish in the middle as it does at the moment.

Below are the vendor's photo of mine (that as you can see bears no relation to what I got), photos of it unset and then set so you can see the difference. In all honesty, it isn't a good stone at all. In fact, it's really bad and the only reason I set it was because I was fascinated by the window diminishing!

Palladium is a good choice for a setting if you have a nickel allergy. Sally at heartofwater on Etsy is superb to work with, incredibly affordable AND she'll make your ring very special I'm sure - so I'd repeat all the recommendations for her. I'm pretty sure if you follow some of the links already from our lovely forum members you'll find a really special stone that will make your heart pound! A ring that you're going to wear for a long time should always do that! Don't settle for second best.

Sapphire Bi colour Images FOR ps.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the sort of under-basket you would need - see how much material there is in the bottom? That's what helps the colour to be reflected back up through the stone instead of out the back.

BTW the photo below shows it actually set and you can see I've added millgraining around the bezel. The photo in the above post is of it just plonked in the setting but unset.

Sapphire Bi colour showing colours trim for Ps.JPG

Sapphire LOGR Setting_1_1.JPG

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Welcome, Chloe! It's a fun time for you, congratulations.

Others have already said what I would have, that I think you can do better within your budget -- but the only thing that counts is how YOU feel about the stone. An e-ring stone should make your heart thump when you look at it. If it doesn't, there is another out there that will, you can count on that. And if the one you posted doesn't, don't hesitate to return it & keep looking -- you do need to be conscious of the return period allowed by the vendor.

Here are a few more possibilities at prices that should leave you plenty for the setting. Even if none grab you, the more you look at, the better you'll be able to compare them to the sapphire you have now. And if you see something you like that's sold, you can always email the vendor & ask if he has more rough to cut something for you.

Let us know what you decide -- we're interested!

--- Laurie

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370403502693

http://www.gemartservices.com/for-sale.html

http://www.customgemstones.com/SAPPHIRE/sa1466.html

http://www.customgemstones.com/SAPPHIRE/sa1433.html

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I can only echo what others have said: If you are in love with this stone, that's one thing, but it sounds to me as though you already suspect you might be able to do better. The fact that you came here to ask for opinions tells me that! I also suspect as you get to know more about colored stones, things like the window are probably going to bother you more and more, which is not the way you should feel about something as special as an engagement ring.

About the Litnon sapphire posted by Arcadian: don't forget that Pricescopers get a discount from Litnon!

Good luck on your search, and congratulations on your engagement!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You may also want to check out Bespoke Gems - and if you subscribe to Doug's mailing list, you're eligible for a 20% discount - here's an untreated green sapphire 6mm round that is described as "predominantly green but with some blue highlights" -

Bespoke%20-%20bb18a_large.jpg

http://www.bespoke-gems.com/SacredGeometrics_Gemstones_Sapphire.php

In terms of a nickel-free white metal, Daniel M also works in Argentium sterling silver - my experience with Argentium has been very positive - it is very white, durable, and cost-effective (more expensive than regular sterling but much much less than gold or palladium) - it might be something you want to consider now, especially if you end up putting more in the gemstone - you can always upgrade to palladium or platinum in the future. Here's a link for more info on Argentium: http://www.argentiumsilver.com/

I think you can easily stay within your budget AND find both a gorgeous stone that pleases your eye and a lovely, well-made setting - I hope you enjoy your quest!

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Hi and congratulations and welcome to the group!!!!! :sun:

I have to tell you, every stone that you have been linked to here is beautiful
on my monitor, and I have actually considered each and every one of them for myself
from time to time :love: :love: :love:

I don't have any specific recommendations, just have fun with your search.
Your ring idea and budget are very do-able!
Congratulations!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don't knock gray gems before you try them! Having said that they are pretty hard to come by and seem to really only come in spinel...Which is what mine is.

I think you can do better for your money as well.

Silver nails and gray ering freke.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1296997724|2844713 said:
the only thing that counts is how YOU feel about the stone. An e-ring stone should make your heart thump when you look at it. If it doesn't, there is another out there that will, you can count on that. And if the one you posted doesn't, don't hesitate to return it & keep looking

Welcome and congrats! Laurie said it perfectly, and all I can add it that its kind of like falling in love; until its happened, you think what you have is pretty good. So my question, do you love it?

I also am a sapphire nut and at one time or another have bought from most of the vendors people recommended for you. I would say that if you are interested in a blue green sapphire, you can find one equally attractive and for less money. If you are willing to wait (sometimes things take a little while with him), I would reiterate what MTG said and contact Dana at Master Cut. While these sapphires are listed as sold, they were on his site for a long time, and I know he has more sapphires (don't know the price range). Plus he's a love of a guy and would totally be pulling for you given what little you've said about yourself. Be aware that his photos are the real deal and unlike Thaigem, he does not retouch his photos.

http://www.mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=view&cat=251

Another one is Gene Flanigan at Precision Cut Gems. Check out the Montana rough he just brought back from Tucson:

http://www.precisiongem.com/Blog/PrecisiongemBlog.html

This ring should be exactly as you would like it to be - and with options for stones like the PSers have provided you, and argentium or palladium as the metal, you should be able to meet you budget and LOVE IT too!

Good luck

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone! First, I want to thank everyone so much for their comments and helpful links! :appl: You are all amazing, and I really appreciate the help I've gotten already! I was going to post a longer reply yesterday, but I was spending time with my boyfriend (I don't consider him my fiance until we actually have a ring and he really proposes), and then went to bed.

So, first things first, I think I am going to try and return the ebay sapphire. Looking at it again in the morning, it doesn't look anything like the picture (the picture is obviously more vivid and saturated), and though it's really *not that bad* (my pictures are pretty terrible, I need to find out more on how to take a decent stone picture), I know the window is going to bother me. It is a light aqua blue on this cloudy day, and the edges are really sparkly, but the center doesn't sparkle or have any life or color at all. I'm going to contact the seller today and ask about a refund.

Also, after looking around here, I realized that there are beautiful sapphires I can afford, looking around at some of the sites you've already mentioned. Initially, I was looking at places like the natural sapphire store, and while they have really beautiful stones, they are fairly pricey for my budget. Also, though initially I wanted a very small stone, the more I look at the big rocks on here, the more I find myself liking the look-- at least when they are well cut and in a beautiful setting! My ring size is 5.

I am fine with heat treated sapphires, but I don't want any other treatment, of course (I don't think anyone here is fond of beryllium diffusion!). I originally only wanted round cut, but I like rounded cushions as well.

I'm going to reply to everyone individually, so this will be another beast of a post.

MakingtheGrade, I actually had seen that sapphire during my clicking around on pricescope, and I actually love it. But according to the site, it was already sold. :(sad So, I haven't looked any further, but I definitely could contact Dana to see if he has anything similar.

Arcadian, like I said, I LOVE that light green sapphire, but on further thought, I'm not sure if I want it for my engagement ring that I will be wearing all the time. That said, I adore Portuguese cuts, I first saw them only a few days ago, but I think I have loved every single one I've seen. So, that is something for me to think about. I actually really like rose cut stones too, but I don't think, as a rule, they are very bright/ have flash. Am I misinformed?

Pinktower, I am totally fine with a heated stone, though unheated is nice too. I am going to make an attempt to return it, but we'll see how it goes. I showed it to my boyfriend last night and he thought it was pretty.

Vapidlapid, yes, I should have googled around for their reputation a little before I bought, but I think there were only 12 hours left, and at the time I saw it, it was $5. It's hard to go wrong for $10 shipped (but it wasn't). I've looked at LOGR settings, but haven't seen anything that's really my style. Not sure what lanbo is, I'll try and search around.

The sort of setting I think I've settled on is a simple solitaire bezel setting with an open (or partially open) gallery and a brushed finish. I had a great link to something similar, but I can't find it now. I also want the stone to be as low profile as possible (while retaining the open gallery), with a narrow slim band band (I have short fingers, and my left hand is dominant). I would like something that looks like this from the top: http://www.etsy.com/listing/62445446/so-stackable-beaded-blue-lace-agate-ring with or without the beading, but with a different stone, of course. (This is not the link that I was referring to, but I can't find it!). This is gorgeous too, but I think I want a brushed finish, not high polish. http://www.etsy.com/transaction/40672069.

MakingtheGrade: Ooh, the Dan Stair sapphire is very pretty. It's kind of like my eye color, actually (I think I'm more gray though). I do think I'm leaning more towards the super faceted cuts, like the Portuguese cut (which I had never seen or heard of before coming here!)

Gempassion, those are very pretty stones! I prefer more cool tones, and don't really wear pink. The color change sapphire is beautiful, but I think I am looking for something more blue. Michael E has some beautiful settings, but most of them are so much more ornate then what I am looking for that I wasn't sure if he was a good option or not. I like the scrollwork he has done on some of the galleries, though. Since he doesn't publish prices, I wasn't sure if he would be vastly out of my price range too, since it varies so widely, and I feel uncomfortable emailing someone for prices initially, to see if they are even a possibility.

MakingtheGrade-- that one is really nice too! I don't think I want an oval cut though. Man, I am picky! :roll:

Arcadian-- I think contacting Dana and maybe litnon is a great idea! Litnon has a really gorgeous blue sapphire right now too (also very big), but it would leave almost no money for a setting, so that probably won't happen.

Tourmaline-lover-- :love: That was the first site that I saw all of those beautiful Portugeuse cuts. I like almost every stone on there, I am not kidding! Sapphire 221 (only 0.74 carats but only 0.2mm smaller than the one I've got) is within my reasonable range, but like I said, as I've looked around here, I've begun thinking that maybe a little bigger would be just fine. They really have just beautiful cutting, but I am afraid I'm not going to find what I'm looking for in my price range, not that they don't deserve it!

Gempassion: wow, that is a gorgeous purple spinel! I like this blue one too, but I think it's a bit too dark, and maybe too gray? And oval. Still beautiful though! http://www.gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=40

Lovingdiamond-- yes, I saw the posts from the seller. I can't believe he called someone a liar, though I try to make allowances for people who probably don't have English as their first language. I have to say though, I tend to only get more contrary when people are rude, so he may be more likely to convince me to keep the stone if he plays nice. We'll see. I don't want it for an engagement ring, but maybe for something else... but right now, I think I'd like to return it. I can definitely see the similarity between our stones! The pictures are much more vivid and bright than the stones really are. There's another person on here with a blue green sapphire from them, and it looked almost black in person. I'm pretty sure it was returned as well.

That said, you did a great job with the setting, the stone looks really nice in that ring, and it did close the window very well! I like the halo heads, but decided for a ring I'd be wearing so much I'd prefer something simpler, especially with working in a lab, so if I am putting on gloves it will be less likely to rip the latex.

JewelFreak-- thank you for your input! Yes, when I pulled it out of the packaging I thought... well, it's not awful. But it's not great. But I didn't want to not give it a fair chance, I guess. I like a lot of the stones you posted, but since I'm going to be wearing it such a long time, I really want a durable stone. I adore tourmaline, and the colors it comes in, for example, but I know it's probably a bad choice for a ring I'll be wearing so often. Tourmaline jewelry... someday!

Aoife: Thank you for your help! Yes, I feel a lot more sure about it after sleeping on it. I woke up and thought, "one more look, and if I'm not in love with it, it's going back."
I had no idea that pricescopers got a discount from litnon!! Can I ask how much? I'll try to look it up myself, too.

Marymm-- thank you for the information-- I always like to know about discounts. I like the particolored and that green sapphire quite a bit-- the green has enough blue in it to appeal to me.
I'm also really interested in the Argentium silver-- I'm always on the lookout for additional hypoallergenic metals. Initially I looked at titanium, but the brittleness and the restrictions on settings available because of the brittleness made me decide against it. It's also really gray-colored which doesn't look very good against my skin. I thought all silver tarnished though, is it not the case for argentium? (I think part of the reason normal silver tarnishes due to the copper added, but I'm not positive on that). It does seem like a reasonable (and cheaper alternative), so I will definitely keep it in mind!

ooo~Shiney-- thank you for the welcome! There are an absolute ton of beautiful stones in this thread, for sure!

Frekechild-- I actually like grey gems too, I've seen beautiful ones which is why I initially was looking at them. :love: But they need to be intentionally grey, not murky and diluted other colors, in my opinion. Beautiful, beautiful stone in that ring! I saw some nice titanium grey spinels when I was searching, but though I like it, I don't think I want it as an e-ring.

Minousbijoux: Oooh, very very pretty rough there! I think I will ask Dana if he thinks he's got anything that might work for me, just to see what he has to say. Gene also seems like a strong contender!

Anyway, thank you everyone, again, for your responses! I'll try to reply more quickly in the future so I don't have to write 2 page replies, goodness! You guys are awesome!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats and I’m glad you found us here on PS. Seriously, you can do better for $500 if that’s the shade of blue you like. The stone is off round and slightly windowed but it should close up in a bezel setting. The problem is that a bezel setting might accentuate the off symmetry. Don’t worry about being picky – it’s going to be your e-ring so it has to be something you love. Don’t forget the 30% discount from Litnon so it might be a contender after all.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
I bet you are having fun looking for sapphires!
I have to second the recommendation of marymm....
But I pick THIS sapphire.... :love: :love: :love:
I know it may not be the color you are looking for but, oh....
Look at it outdoors on his hand !
Bespoke Gems.

sapphire.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh-Shiney!! I LOVE that one! [quick threadjack] and by the way, I am totally keeping my eyes open for you and the hot pink unheated sapphire [end of threadjack]

So OP, see how many options you have?!! :appl: :appl:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooo~Shiney!|1297132169|2846173 said:
I bet you are having fun looking for sapphires!
I have to second the recommendation of marymm....
But I pick THIS sapphire.... :love: :love: :love:
I know it may not be the color you are looking for but, oh....
Look at it outdoors on his hand !
Bespoke Gems.

I ditto this one. Doug is great and that stone really just sings! What a beautiful colour! :love:

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone, again!

Brief update.

The ebay seller agreed to accept the return (and said he won't charge me the restocking fee... I might have filed with paypal if he had insisted on it since it was significantly not as described color-wise, but he was quite pleasant), and he also offered me free shipping for my next purchase from them.

Chrono, thank you for the support! I am going to have a lot of fun looking around, that's for sure. I could tell in my pictures that the stone was off-round as well, couldn't in real life. But it would bother me.

It is actually not at all the worst sapphire I've ever seen in real life, it did have nice sparkle at least on the edges! I had an old friend who got her jewelry from mall stores, and she has a sapphire 3 stone ring that looks like 3 navy blue stones, no life to them at all, and I don't think they are really even transparent, to be honest. She told me when she got it that they were the "ideal" color for sapphires, which I think is where I picked up my semi-dislike of ideal sapphires, even though I know now that the mall salesmen were lying to her and those stones were not at all an ideal color.

~ooohShiney, that sapphire is gorgeous! It might be slightly darker than what I was initially looking for, but I really do like it.

But the thing is, I feel like it would be a crime to put that stone in a bezel setting and cover up so much of the side view. Maybe I should start looking at prong settings too, just in case (I do like prong settings, just don't want to have to worry about snagging them on latex gloves all the time, or damaging them accidentally).

Look at that!

I've also discovered another thing, I like stones with a little bit of visible color variation. I have a partial heterochromia in my right eye (my iris is predominantly blue-gray but with an orange line coming down on the bottom, I think it's kind of neat). For this, I don't want a stone with several big areas of significantly different colors, but the lighter margins and flashes of green in this bespoke sapphire really speaks to me.

So, here's the thing. My boyfriend just got a couple big bills, and I don't want to be taxing his budget, so I am going to be cooling down the search for a bit, and keep looking around casually, probably for a few more months, so there isn't going to be any big progress for a while.

I am going to contact Dana and DanielM soon to ask them about possibilities, since those will be longer term things anyway (I have a test this week so this project is on the back burner). The Argentium silver is very pretty, but after looking up more information, I really don't think I want it for this ring that I will be wearing so often. And though I understand the "upgrade" idea for an engagement ring, I'm pretty sentimental and want to keep the original ring just as it is, I think, so I'd rather get it as close to perfect for me, the first time. I don't think sterling silver is durable enough for the wear I am thinking of, and for a timeline as long as I'm hoping for, the silver will probably start to tarnish sooner or later.

If that stone is still available when I'm ready to start shopping heavily again, maybe it was meant to be!

However! I do absolutely promise to come back and revive this thread and ask for opinions on the stones when I'm ready to move forward! And I promise to post pictures of the ring someday (though, they may be terrible).

bb17c_large.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck with your exams. When you're ready to restart the search, we'll all be here to help. You can take the time to look at sapphires without pressure and figure out exactly what you like and want.

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock
Hello again, all! Exams are over, and I've started poking around the web again.

So, I have a suspicious looking sapphire that I was looking at and considering, but it definitely falls in the "too good to be true" list, so I'm not going to get it. Even though I'm tempted. It would be waaaay too big on my finger anyway (literally a centimeter across! My lord!).

Wanna see?
http://cgi.ebay.com/AMAZING-4-62-CT...I&otn=3&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=162195811046578286

And it says it's unheated! The seller does have good feedback, but the picture has that ultra-vivid look to it again that makes me think it's photoshopped. I appear to be very attracted to photoshopped stones.

I've still been looking at a lot of the websites I've gotten over the course of the thread, but I'm not ready to make the jump yet, I guess. I really need to contact some of the cutters directly, but I've been procrastinating due to the final exam thing (and general busyness).

Oh, the other website I wanted to ask about (I searched but could not find any information on the seller, possibly used the wrong terms though): http://www.gemresources.com/index.php?catbyname=Faceted Gems

The pictures are pretty terrible, but I'm not sure if that's because they don't take good pictures (maybe do more IRL business-- but with a PO Box???) or if it's because the stones are terrible or badly cut. They are pretty inexpensive, but the paucity of reviews on here and through googling makes me really wary. Has anyone here dealt with them?

Anyway, thank you for anyone who reads this or can offer any advice!

Oh, and danielm said that he was not interested in working with palladium at this time. :( Part of the delay in looking is because I can't seem to find a setting vendor that will work for my price range and metal sensitivities.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chloeishere|1306275122|2929400 said:
Wanna see?
http://cgi.ebay.com/AMAZING-4-62-CT...I&otn=3&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=162195811046578286

And it says it's unheated! The seller does have good feedback, but the picture has that ultra-vivid look to it again that makes me think it's photoshopped. I appear to be very attracted to photoshopped stones.

I've got alarm bells going off in all directions with this stone. A 4.62ct UNHEATED COLOUR CHANGE Sapphire without a reserve, IF clarity and no starting price either? It screams of synthetic I'm afraid. A 4ct unheated colour change sapphire with IF clarity (that's a big give-away) would NEVER be sold for under $100 - or even $1000 for that matter.

Sorry to be the bearer of possible bad news.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results